• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Counting Sheep Is Not Working

RG Coburn

FALaholic #
I need some noise to block thought if i want to sleep. TV usually. Super quiet? I'll lay and stare out the window,thinking. They make Youtube videos with different sounds playing continuously,like rain,or thundershowers,etc.

meltblown

Resident Smart Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Seriously dude, I used to do it a lot during my life. I learned that all that shit is not worth losing sleep over anymore. I started treating my job like everyday could be my last day. All the crap you are going over in your mind in the middle of the night is worse at the time than actually going through it the next day unless you work at a meat packing plant or mortuary.

droid

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Between Houston and Victoria, Texas, on the coast.
I can say with certainty (at least in my case) the anxiety about work dissolves when you retire!
3 months now and work is NEVER in my thoughts unless I get a call/text/visit from a friend that is still working there.
No more staring at the ceiling at 3AM for me.

I know what it is like. I hope things get better after I retire.

meltblown

Resident Smart Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I can say with certainty (at least in my case) the anxiety about work dissolves when you retire!
3 months now and work is NEVER in my thoughts unless I get a call/text/visit from a friend that is still working there.
A young friend that was a good customer who moved away texted me today on how things were going and when was I going to quit working. I haven't responded. I like a paycheck and am old enough that I don't sweat the crap anymore. Fire me.

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #
I have made my position into a fairly low stress career and learned to relax and fear nothing that work can throw at me.

I still find it challenging but don't stress over it.

It helps to rarely see ones boss. :)

Not losing sleep here.

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I learned long, long ago during my working life that it wasn’t worth it to lose sleep over somebody else’s business. All the years I worked for somebody else I didn’t waste time laying awake at night. I went to work each day and treated each day is an individual day or unit, just like people saying live each day for today. Same rule applies. It wasn’t always the case when I was engaged in my own employment however. Too many times during my periods of self-employment where I worried over a project that I was working on. Things such as timetables or cost etc. But I never worried about another man’s business until I was on the clock.

I’ve been retired for almost 4 1/2 years now and in contrast, I sleep whenever I damn well please. If I’m tired in the afternoon and I want to take a nap I will. If I wanna stay up late and watch a movie, hang out with friends or work in my shop, I do. If I do have appointments or something that needs my attention I just plan for it and, if I get tired well gee, I’ll take a nap later.

And, I still don’t worry about another man’s business. Unless of course it somehow stupidly affects me.

2 cents and such. 🥸

Mbell

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I don’t stress or think about work anymore either it’s not worth it at all. Taking that crap home with you it just isn’t healthy for you or your family. Like melt says if you ain’t happy with me fire me.

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
I was a chronic insomniac. Would crash hard at 9-10 and then be wide awake at 1am with my head spinning and not fall back asleep until a half hour before my alarm would go off.

I quit drinking caffeine and eating/drinking sugary shit and my insomnia disappeared. I actually began sleeping through the night and having lucid dreams within weeks. I couldn't remember having dream for years before that.

I'm a business owner.. in the end it had nothing to do with being stressed or worrying about anything.

fn ellis

FALaholic #
I did something horrible gents. 7 years ago I made the decision to go to college. My dream was to become a therapist that is culturally competent enough to work with veterans the right way. During my college career I was thrusted into the belly of the liberal beast, and was forced to mingle with them.🤯 Throughout my military career, I deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan. I like I have PTSD from attending higher education more then my deployments. Lol I love helping my fellow veterans and love that I have a masters degree. However, I am still paying my dues. I work in a substance abuse treatment center with people who rape, manipulative and destroy everything and everyone around them. It’s exhausting. As an NCO I had the legal authority to hold my soldiers accountable for their actions. Now I have to listen to ass hats laugh about using Rohypnol
to rape young girls. I want to throat punch them but, I have to treat them. It goes against all my principles and values. Sometimes this shit kicks my ass. I am glad you guys are here to make fun of me or tell me to suck it up and drive on. And take my money lol. Thank you for the ideas and the forum to vent.

Ironhandjohn

FALaholic #
Work is never in my thoughts once I swipe the time clock and walk out the door. Fuck ‘em all; I did my best while I was running my route, giving my all to my customers. My time is exactly that, and the older I get, the less of it there seems to be.

alphadog58

FALaholic #
I run my department as I see fit. My department generates enough revenue through permit fees to fund my department and the Planning and Zoning department, so the front office leaves me alone. Can work here until I don't want to work anymore. Managing the public still presents the occasional challenge but I don't lose any sleep over work.
Larry

J. Armstrong

Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm considering applying for an entry-level position at the Post Office.
Don't laugh - I have a friend who did just that. Got close to retirement realizing that the stress of work was eating him up. He figured he had enough resources that while he wasn't going to be retiring to the Bahamas, he'd be reasonably comfortable. Quit the old job, got a job at the USPS for the bennies, happy fellow.

KoKodog

FALaholic #
years ago I made a 90 minute cassette while surf fishing on Assateague Island, it was just my cousin and I in a fair stretch of the beach and the only thing you can hear other than the triple 6 foot breakers hitting the beach and rolling the sand is occasionally the reel clicking or a occasional few whispered words, i played that tape damn near every night for years and slept like a rock, they make white noise machines that do rain, babbling brook/running water (forget the running water or you will easily double or even triple your wake ups during the night to pizz) gentle thunderstorms and other soothing sounds