• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Cool Picture Thread

J. Armstrong

Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
A good friend in high school (and one of the few HS people that I still consider a good friend today, 40 years later) had that same green '67 fastback. He got it with the 289 and I don't remember if the engine "went bad" or if he just wanted an upgrade. For whatever reason however, we squeezed a big block 390 in it.

If you ever try that yourself, know going in that the first time you need to change plugs in the 390, you will need to pull the engine back out and then torch a hole in the left front shock tower, just large enough to put a long 3/8" extension with a plug socket to fit through from the wheel well.

You will also need to jack it up and pull the front left wheel off for all future plug changes. Keep that in mind if you want to go the wide body big block route 😁

IDK, but it seems to me that factory big blocks would have been an option from the factory back then, so maybe there is a different solution???
I can only attest to the "smoke-wrench" hole in the shock tower as what us two 18-ish year old kids came up with when faced with the problem.
Weird - had a close friend who had a '67 GTA - 390 4 bbl. ( Yep, factory offered 390s and in '68 a very few 428 Cobra Jets. ) Not saying you're wrong, but I don't remember him commenting on it. And I DO remember his vocal ire about changing plugs on a Sunbeam Tiger with a 260 in it !!!

The 390 never got much credit but was a decent if underwhelming piece. You could make that 289 run about as well with less hassle. Handled way better, too.

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #
Friend in high school had an AMC Javelin with the 401ci V8.
He had big Pioneer home speakers in the back seat for a badass party stereo.
We used to make fun of him because he had to remove the front rim/tire to get to his spark plugs, lol.
Good times! :love:

Tak

FALaholic #
A good friend in high school (and one of the few HS people that I still consider a good friend today, 40 years later) had that same green '67 fastback. He got it with the 289 and I don't remember if the engine "went bad" or if he just wanted an upgrade. For whatever reason however, we squeezed a big block 390 in it.

If you ever try that yourself, know going in that the first time you need to change plugs in the 390, you will need to pull the engine back out and then torch a hole in the left front shock tower, just large enough to put a long 3/8" extension with a plug socket to fit through from the wheel well.

You will also need to jack it up and pull the front left wheel off for all future plug changes. Keep that in mind if you want to go the wide body big block route 😁

IDK, but it seems to me that factory big blocks would have been an option from the factory back then, so maybe there is a different solution???
I can only attest to the "smoke-wrench" hole in the shock tower as what us two 18-ish year old kids came up with when faced with the problem.
The 390 was a factory available engine for the '67 Mustang. It is a damn tight fit for sure.

From what I read on line, you can do it with a flexi line but it's a huge pain. Some say just unbolt the motor and jack it up, and one suggest like you, pulling the wheel and going through the wheel well.

I guess put in some high quality plugs the first time and leave it alone lol !

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Mary Ann was every third or fourth girl at my high school.

Ginger was smokin'. Like at least a 9...

Shit, I was seven years old when I saw that show, and I knew it then that Ginger was super hot. Mary Ann's level of hotness was equal to at least four of my babysitters.