• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Case trimming with a drill press?

KoKodog

FALaholic #
You won't be doing any of this in your lap while sitting in a recliner unless you like sharp brass shavings in your crotch, and in the seat-cushion of your recliner, and in the carpet beneath.

Its still work.
thats why you have a large storage tub, you keep everything in the tub including the brass chips

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
You can buy a simple little chuck that replaces the handle on an RCBS trimmer. I broke down and bought 12 of the current manual RCBS trimmers and mounted all to bases. Swapped the handles for the electric drill adapter. Each trimmer got a pilot and shell plate for the cases I trim often. Each one is set up for a specific caliber and pilot or length is never changed. Purchased two Bosh 12v cordless drills with spare batteries. Whichever calibers I am working with I pull the correct kit off shelf, clamp to table, attach drill and go to trimming. No set up, just run. I bought two of the RCBS power case trimmers and it still.drove me.crazy resetting. No everytime I add a caliber I order a new trimmer, one shell plate and one pilot. Adds 100 bucks to each caliber and never adjust again. Will post pics.tomorrow.

palmettomoon

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Get the Giraud. Best money I've ever spent on reloading equip. Wasted weeks of life trimming, chamfering, and deburring brass by hand. Thousands of cases, Can do 1,000 308 cases per hour with the Giraud. I bought 308, 30 carbine, Krag, 303, 7.62X54r, 30.06 (will hold 270 of course) and never looked back. Hell I even splurged on diameter specific cutting heads so I wouldn't have to adjust tgat either. Put Hornady lock rings on the shell holders. Awesome setup. Best spend ever.

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
Or you could look around and find a good friend who just happened to find a nice trimmer in a box o junk he bought at an estate sale cause it had the right boolits in it. He didn't need the extra trimmer since he already bought one of those spendy french canuck sounding ones. So he sold it to me for a song + shipping NOT SEEN ON TV:bow:

DYNOMIKE

FALaholic #
Actually the Giraud came later but there where TWO of the RCBS Trim Pro's in that big score... :wink: :beer:
I still have and use mine for smaller batches or to up my capacity if I'm really feelin ambitious..

These are very good trimmers and w/the 3-way cutter it's a one step and done process..

DYNOMIKE

FALaholic #
Pretty clean debur?
Yup, clean as a whistle.... Takes a little fiddling to get the cutters right (I found it easy but note some reports of it being difficult) but once done you don't have to mess with it again..
While it's obviously not as fast as the Giraud it does a great job which is why kept the one I have..

randy762ak

FALaholic #
So I have 3000 or so pieces of 5.56 brass to trim and I was wondering, why not use a drill press? I have the lee case trim set that trims to the proper length, and will fit in a drill. my problem is on the shell holder side. Is there a shell holder that the case can just snap into? The traditional screw type takes so much time I was wondering if there was something faster. I am open to any and all ideas.

Any and all ideas==OK Here ya go=>
You could make a gizzmo To set on the drill press table ,,Clamps to the top and holds a shell holder ,Make a Plunger that extends up through the bottom and is activated By a foot Pedal -You insert a case Press the foot pedal that pushes up into the base or primer pocket Holding the case against the top of the shell holder ,Pull the Press ram trim the case -Release the foot and Remove the case -repeat! Someone makes a cutter that chamfers the top and bevels the inside in one operation You could adapt This to fit in the chuck.

You asked :wink:

Cava3r4

FALaholic #
you need a "monanodnock" tool.
it cuts the brass to length, and chamfers I.D. and O.D. at the same time.
you mount this in a cheap desktop sears drill press.
you use a piece of fuel line hose (3/8 diameter) and cut one side, slip the case in to the rubber fuel line hose "holding tool", jamb it on the cutter in the drill press, drop the piece of brass into a box, and REPEAT, one per 2 seconds.
If someone want to email me their email address via the PM, I will send them a JPG with the picture and INFO on it so it can be posted.
I do not know how to post, and I am not signing my life away for some application that will allow me to post.
The tool itself cost about 30 bucks and that was 10 years ago. It has a CARBIDE cutter so it will last a life time. It also has an optional "safety sleeve" that keeps your fingers away from the cutter, which is a "must have" in my book.
I'll be waiting for that PM.

wanneroo

FALaholic #
I use the WFT. When trimming before finished rotate back a quarter turn and it chamfers and deburrs the brass reasonably well. I check each one and use a hand tool if they need touched up.

Also brass shavings are not a problem. I bought a $3 small clear plastic storage tub with a lid(8 inches deep, 8 inches wide, a foot long), cut a hole in each side, one for my hand with the brass and one for the drill and as I trim most of the shavings end up in the bin. Just put it lid side down on the table and watch your work though the clear plastic.

okiefarmer

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Everything has been proffered here but LEE.

They do have a new cast trimmer tool that mounts in the press. Trims and chamfers inside and out at the same time. At present, it does have a hand crank, but with all the southern engineers here, I'd think it could be done fairly easy. Case is put in a regular case holder in a press and run up into a die to fit each caliber. Claims accuracy to within .001

DJ

FALaholic #
I have a Dillon RT1200. Sizes and trims at the same time. To deburr I have a Wilson tool. I had our tool room guy make me an adaptor that I can put that Wilson tool in and chuck up in a drill press. It beats hell out of deburring one at a time by hand.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Trimming and prepping brass has always been my nemisis. Being extremely anal about all aspects I can control I do everything possible to make all rounds consistent. Trim to length, uniform primer pockets, debur flash holes, etc. What sucks is setting up for a caliber then switching to another. First big improvement was a power trimmer.

The next big deal for me was a power case preperation center.

Even moving to power, resetting my trimmer from one case to another was problematic. Getting the power trimmer set to the thousanths each caliber change drove me nutts so here is my solution for now.

What seems to work for me is to shop Ebay and Craigs List for good used trimmers everytime I add a caliber that will be loaded a lot. I then convert them to use these little 12 volt Bosh drivers as found three on a good sale. Whichever caliber I am trimming I pull its trimmer off the shelf, clamp it to bench, add electric driver and trim like mad. When done put back on shelf.

I never have to worry about setting trimmer to exact same length as last. Thus my bullet seating and crimping dies always are spot on. I have a couple of trimmers not converted for those short runs of calibers that are not loaded at high volume. This really works well and time saved in setup, allows me more time to trim.

My big power case trimmer never changes crom 45acp as most loaded round. My converted manual 223 has a three way trimmer so no neck champhering and always consistent. I set up a flash hole deburring tool for each caliber so once trimmed all flash holes are uniform if done this year or five years ago. Setup is never an issue, trimming is fast and cases will be consistent until significant cutter wear. For price of one power trim station you can buy a half dozen or more manual trimmers and setup goes away, if drill dies, any cordless will work. Bet when moter dies on my big RCBS power unit fixing will be expensive. Currently I have eight trimmers set up for power and five manual but how many 7mm mags or 338's is a fellow going to do at once. I keep an eye out for more and will continue to get more when cheap and set up till have one for every popular caliber I load for.