• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Case trimming with a drill press?

croftonaviation

Living the dream
Contributor
FALaholic #
So I have 3000 or so pieces of 5.56 brass to trim and I was wondering, why not use a drill press? I have the lee case trim set that trims to the proper length, and will fit in a drill. my problem is on the shell holder side. Is there a shell holder that the case can just snap into? The traditional screw type takes so much time I was wondering if there was something faster. I am open to any and all ideas.

Thanks
Tom

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Giraud trimmer. It's spendy but worth it.
This.

Brass trimming is the suckiest part of shooting.
Don't make it any more miserable than it has to be.

If you get tired of the good trimmer (you won't) you can always get most of your money back out of it if you sell it.
You can always sell good tools.
You can kiss your money goodbye on any investment in shitty tools.

TerryN

FALaholic #
Forster makes a case trimmer setup that is designed for use with a drill press. I have no personal experience with it, but I have seen it in use. Nowhere near as fast as a Giraud or Gracey, but nowhere near as expensive, either.

KoKodog

FALaholic #
Forster makes a case trimmer setup that is designed for use with a drill press. I have no personal experience with it, but I have seen it in use. Nowhere near as fast as a Giraud or Gracey, but nowhere near as expensive, either.
http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=37222

I have one, right now it is set up w/ a 1/2" carbide end mill cutter to cut 5.56 cases down to make 300 blackout, there are much better easier ways to just trim for reloading

even a cordless drill w/ a possum hollow trimmer is a better option

meltblown

Resident Smart Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Not to be a heel, But is this poodle shooter stuff? .$0.32 for decent ammo to put through one :whistling:. Or just needing to have fun?

littlehoot

FALaholic #
So I have 3000 or so pieces of 5.56 brass to trim and I was wondering, why not use a drill press? I have the lee case trim set that trims to the proper length, and will fit in a drill. my problem is on the shell holder side. Is there a shell holder that the case can just snap into? The traditional screw type takes so much time I was wondering if there was something faster. I am open to any and all ideas.

Thanks
Tom
I use a little crow trimmer, similar to possum hollow trimmer, in a drill press. works pretty good. the 308 trimmer is better than my 223- which is considerably older. I think it may have a better quality cutter in it.

DYNOMIKE

FALaholic #
Save your $$ and buy a Giraud....
Buy once cry once when your talking quality tools......

Once you use one you'll throw rocks at everything else...
Cutters aren't terribly expensive and should last a very long tome, shell holders are very reasonable..

With my .30cal cutter I currently trim X39, .300BLK, 30/06, .308, X54R, & .303 BRIT....

My nest accessory is an 8MM cutter and shell holder so I can load a shit ton of 8mm for my FN49.. :wink:

762gunr

FALaholic #
I trimmed 1k 7.62 with the possum trimmer. It's plus or minus .003 or so. Good enough in my book for blasting.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zCxPSIKocFo?list=UUJl2azaK_CSdIFdtmPlKO4g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

762gunr

FALaholic #
Is there some kind of stop on the Jeffery or is it just by feel?
Seems quick enough..
Works off the shoulder which explains the rather larger +/-
You can adjust the cutter head for length. I just found a case that had the OAL I wanted and adjusted the cutter head to that case.
The squeal you hear on the vid is the neck of the brass bottoming out on the tool after the cutter does its job.
It does leave a very slight cosmetic ring on the shoulder but it came off in the stainless tumbler.

Slo cat

Master Metal Checkerer
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I called Giraud to place an order for their case trimmer. They took all my payment info, then told me it would be about two months to ship. It seems they only build them to order. I was in a hurry, so I cancelled the order.

Then I saw this video about the 'World's Finest Trimmer' at $69.95 from Creedmoor Sports. I got one and it sure is fast, indexing off the shoulder of the brass. It works just like in the video. But if you are doing a big batch, wear a glove on your brass holding hand.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_KNOLN0ByH8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
The WFT trimmer looks like a good alternative for the reloader who doesn't need (or want to mess with) chamfering at the same time as trimming.

Unless you are trying to shoot one-hole groups, the only real concern for trimming is to be sure you don't have cases that are so long that they "pinch" the bullet in the throat of the rifle. Pinching is rarely a problem with off-the-shelf rifles. Throat dimensions of off-the-shelf rifles tend to be generous to a fault.

I've never heard any convincing evidence that some slight variation in overall case-length has any effect on accuracy.

However, if you don't at least get that outside burr off the case neck, you might have some chambering issues. Partial-battery being a major culprit in kabooms and such.

Jaxxas

Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
The WFT trimmer looks like a good alternative for the reloader who doesn't need (or want to mess with) chamfering at the same time as trimming.

Unless you are trying to shoot one-hole groups, the only real concern for trimming is to be sure you don't have cases that are so long that they "pinch" the bullet in the throat of the rifle. Pinching is rarely a problem with off-the-shelf rifles. Throat dimensions of off-the-shelf rifles tend to be generous to a fault.

I've never heard any convincing evidence that some slight variation in overall case-length has any effect on accuracy.

However, if you don't at least get that outside burr off the case neck, you might have some chambering issues. Partial-battery being a major culprit in kabooms and such.
Actually Giraud now makes an adjustable cutter head made for chucking into a drill, that trims and does the double chamfer.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Good to see competition in the market for this sort of tool.

I can remember turning the hand-crank models until I was blue in the...

...or at least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

KoKodog

FALaholic #
Actually Giraud now makes an adjustable cutter head made for chucking into a drill, that trims and does the double chamfer.
that is a sweet little number, pricy but would be a great time saver

and you could sit in the recliner w/ the cordless drill and a storage tub loaded w/ empty cases and do them while watching tv/movies

akajun

FALaholic #
The new Giraud also cuts, deburs, and chamfers in the same operation, like the big machine. Something the wft does not do.
Only handle the case once vs three times?

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
You won't be doing any of this in your lap while sitting in a recliner unless you like sharp brass shavings in your crotch, and in the seat-cushion of your recliner, and in the carpet beneath.

Its still work.

Jaxxas

Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
You won't be doing any of this in your lap while sitting in a recliner unless you like sharp brass shavings in your crotch, and in the seat-cushion of your recliner, and in the carpet beneath.

Its still work.
If your pair are brass, then maybe brass shavings aren't a big deal.:wink:

It's a cool tool but I still like the original Giraud. Neat and clean one hand operation, very fast. I'm too old and life is too short to go slow if you can afford otherwise.