• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Canadian build photo thread

Airforce1

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

Attachments:

crashmaniac

Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
86C5992D-CEA0-4E6A-8B48-75DFCFEFA480.jpeg FAL in the North Complete FINALLY! Well no thumbcuts and I have some marking/etching/engraving to do, and some more BLO to add but mechanically done. Edit 1/8/21 just finished marking parts so those pics added for posterity B6EB8893-EB15-4DB8-8CEA-1CB4CA6ED58A.jpeg
E7C2102D-CB95-48E1-B889-47E2E86F0D52.jpeg 3B893F7B-8475-4C39-956B-75BAB3971CC6.jpeg D826FB51-FBD9-4813-A9BA-0A1CB987F28F.jpeg AF822E00-6C11-4BCE-89F3-E60AA3331772.jpeg

Edit 6/11/21 : did my own Thiumb cut came out nice 08229030-2BD1-43E8-AD07-108E82774DE5.jpeg 71B4DC29-7E64-425D-9870-A967AF22F6A0.jpeg

Attachments:

Last edited:

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
As a matter of interest.....
There appears to be 3 different patterns of Canadian stripper clip top covers. None are identified in the North American FALs of Steven's book nor can I find any firm reference to why or when they were employed. I will speculate further on the little research knowledge I have found.
The first pattern has been photographed on the C1s and C1A1s as late as 6L and the second pattern was likely a replacement for top covers which had split at the rear. The second pattern may have been issues on later factory issues C1A1s. The third pattern which is rarely seen may be the final upgrade for the C2A1.
If anyone has any personal information they would like to add feel free to reveal your source or speculate what you have heard.

1st pattern in foreground is reinforced only on the stripper clip end and appears on most all the photos of Steven's book.

2nd pattern is reinforces both at the front and rear end of the stripper clip top cover. This pattern would be ideal for the C1A1-D and the C2A1.

3rd pattern is reinforced as pattern 2 with the addition of a supported "hump" across the rear and dome area of the stripper top cover. This top cover would also be ideal for the C1A1-D and the C2A1 but I have no definitive information.

bsn

FALaholic #
As a matter of interest.....
There appears to be 3 different patterns of Canadian stripper clip top covers. None are identified in the North American FALs of Steven's book nor can I find any firm reference to why or when they were employed. I will speculate further on the little research knowledge I have found.
The first pattern has been photographed on the C1s and C1A1s as late as 6L and the second pattern was likely a replacement for top covers which had split at the rear. The second pattern may have been issues on later factory issues C1A1s. The third pattern which is rarely seen may be the final upgrade for the C2A1.
If anyone has any personal information they would like to add feel free to reveal your source or speculate what you have heard.

1st pattern in foreground is reinforced only on the stripper clip end and appears on most all the photos of Steven's book.

2nd pattern is reinforces both at the front and rear end of the stripper clip top cover. This pattern would be ideal for the C1A1-D and the C2A1.

3rd pattern is reinforced as pattern 2 with the addition of a supported "hump" across the rear and dome area of the stripper top cover. This top cover would also be ideal for the C1A1-D and the C2A1 but I have no definitive information.

It's simple,
Your top two top covers are actually salvaged and re purposed top covers.

The top one "third pattern" is a C2 tangent sight top cover which has had the tangent sight block removed.

The middle one "second pattern" is (probably) a STANAG IR top cover which has had the mounting riser removed.

They have nothing to do with C1A1D or anything else.

Last edited:

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Bsn, thank you for the important information.

I have 2 questions: For what purpose would the tangent block on #3 and the mounting riser on #2 be removed for military employment? What top cover did the Navy C1A1-D employ?

bsn

FALaholic #
Bsn, thank you for the important information.

I have 2 questions: For what purpose would the tangent block on #3 and the mounting riser on #2 be removed for military employment? What top cover did the Navy C1A1-D employ?
The tangent sights were removed from the C2's, and sent to Australia for their L2A1 automatic rifles. The tangent sight was replaced with the 1000m rotating disk rear sight.

I've had several of the top covers where you can see where the silver soldier(?) was ground off - in fact in your example you can see the change in finish where the block was previously attached.

The C1A1D utilized the standard C1/C2 top cover.

Airforce1

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Hello DakTo and everyone,

Please find some pictures of Body Cover used with the FN C1A1, FN CIA1D and FN C2A1.

From left to right: First version of body cover with welded part to mount the Infrared scope AN-PAS4, first version of body cover with the "hump" and reinforcement, C2 Telescope Mount for the C1 Sniper Telescope and the standard body cover.

The first model is an early production for the FN C1. After Canadian Arsenals Limited (CAL) produced only the second version of the body cover until the end of the production of FN C1A1 and FN C2A1.

DSCN5393 - Copy.JPG
DSCN5394 - Copy.JPG
DSCN5395 - Copy.JPG
DSCN5396 - Copy.JPG
Small Arms C 812 P 11 5 Dec 56.jpg
The first model is an early production for the FN C1. We can see (above) the "hump" on the body cover on the picture of the page 12 of the Canadian Army EME Manual - Small Arms C 812 dated 5 December 1956. Also, we can see the early model of the Body Locking Lever.
Body Cover p 2-5 MD.jpg
We can see (above and below) the on the Canadian Forces Technical Orders (CFTO) dated 1982 that the last version is only showed on the manual.
Breech Block Group P 2-8 MY.jpg
Associated Equipment page 12  MA.jpg
This page above of the CFTO is dated 2002.

DSCN5651 - Copy.JPG
DSCN4855 copy.JPG
It is noted that the FN C1A1D rifles were engraved with "A" on the butt both sides starting only on 7 March 1968. Before that the FN C1A1D rifles used by the Royal Canadian Navy were not engraved with the "A". It is noted the unification of the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and Royal Canadian Air Force under the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) occurred on 1 February 1968.
CF EME Manual p 1 7 Mar 68.jpg

Last edited: