• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

BSA-made G3 rifles?

Abominog

FALaholic #
Anyone remember, 20 or 25 years ago there were ads for G3 kits made by BSA. IIRC the story was that HK had some QC issue so BSA made them. I don't think I've ever seen one for sale, and can't find anything in the innerweb, maybe it was rubbish. Anyone remember this or know more?

VALMET

M62/76
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I know that Interarms had warehouses in the UK (Manchester, in particular) and some of they stuff they brought in had Birmingham Proof House stamps on them. I had a Portuguese AR-10 with Birmingham Proof House markings on it as the kit was brought in by Interarms.

I wonder if the original seller mistook these for BSA mfg markings?

Abominog

FALaholic #
Hmmm...good suspicion. I remember it was an ad in SGN. But there WAS some story with the ad that makes me think there was more to it.

Still, quite possible I've surfed GB for years looking for one, yet none exist. LOL.

VALMET

M62/76
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
They may actually exist- who knows? Johnson & Nelson’s “The World’s Assault Rifles” (2010) doesn’t list UK as a manufacturer but if it was a small batch we may never know?
862716B6-CC42-4D77-B328-DEC8FE219923.jpeg

I recall one GB seller years ago peddling a woodland camo HK 91 who spun the yarn- “Rhodesian contract overrun.”

gunner30

FALaholic #
I remember some kind of ad for G3 rifle kits that has been used by the British SAS, a quick glance at Wikipedia says"
United KingdomEdit
  • FR Ordnance MC51 Machine Carbine: Produced by the United Kingdom firm FR Ordnance International Ltd.[22] The MC51 weighs 3.1 kg (6.8 lb), has a folded overall length of 625 mm (24.6 in), a barrel length of only 230 mm (9.1 in), which produces a muzzle velocity of approx. 690 m/s (2,263.8 ft/s) and a muzzle energy of 2215 J.[22] Another UK-based company called Imperial Defence Services Ltd. absorbed FR Ordnance and continues to market the MC51 standard variant.[22]"

Glucker

FALaholic #
I am 99.99+% certain that my mid 80's edition of Small Arms of the World shows pictures of both British and Saudi manufactured G 3's. I will check when I'm home tomorrow or Sunday.

emcroy

FALaholic #
My G3 clone is built on RSAF Enfield kit from Apex. This was after the barrel ban, had three holes drilled , damn shame. I think the barrel I have is FMP.

Glucker

FALaholic #
From Small Arms Today 2nd edition early 1980's.
Enfield, MAS and Saudi manufactured.

Attachments:

APEXgunparts

FALaholic #
My G3 clone is built on RSAF Enfield kit from Apex. This was after the barrel ban, had three holes drilled , damn shame. I think the barrel I have is FMP.
I selected one of those kits at that time and had it built as a semi-auto G-3 on a PTR-91 receiver.
The parts in those kits did not look used at all.
It was really a shame the barrels had holes drilled into them!

HK_G3_left_horizontal.jpg

I think the selector markings were unique to these.

HK_G3_right (2).jpg

Richard

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
British Aerospace did acquire H&K in the early 1990s IIRC...
This, I think. BAE? not BSA.

So were RSAFs "underneath" the BAE umbrella? WEre they contracted for just assembly of parts from other subcontractors?

I mean, smith and wesson and FN made bicycles. And my 03 was by singer sewing machine.

enbloc8

FALaholic #
This, I think. BAE? not BSA.

So were RSAFs "underneath" the BAE umbrella?
If you have "The Last Enfield", it goes into some detail about the final years of RSAF Enfield and ROF Nottingham, and their changes of ownership. As I recall (can't access my copy), BAe was the owner/operator when they closed.

From what I can tell in a quick search, Birmingham Small Arms (which had long expanded beyond firearms) failed in the early 1970s, and was broken up and sold off.