• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Bought a suppressor, should I do a trust (100 bucks), or not. I hear trust apps. take longer for appoval. ARRRGGGHHHH!!! Please weigh in.

para45s

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Trust or individual applications go to the same set of examiners & I haven’t seen any data that proves one takes longer than the other, that’s been my experience.
If it’s just you, then probably not much value in doing a trust, but if you want to be able to “share” NFA items with fam/friends, then trusts can come in handy.
I do recommend getting an electronic copy of your fingerprint scan (EFT file) though, very convenient for submitting the F4’s, F1’s etc.

ETA: Lately I’ve heard that instead of 9-12mos, F4’s for cans have only been taking weeks or a couple months, so either way you should be good to go!

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
What happens when you die?? If you don't have a trust, that is.
This.

Except now a trust isn't quite as advantageous as before with no FP cards etc. Now those in the trust have to submit a FP card as well. YMMV. What happens when I die with a $1K suppressor seems to be a moot point the older I get. Hell my shit will be sold off for nothing, and I've heard that it doesn't really bother you much after you're dead

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
They (your heirs) would have to follow the Form 5 process for each NFA item, whereas if they’re already on the trust as beneficiaries or co-trustees, you’re good to go.
Yup, a $25k+ MG is a lot different annamule than a can. IIRC you have 90 days without a trust to transfer, but the process takes longer then you are screwed and have to have it held till it clears after the timeframe. I doubt my heirs are going to give a crap about a silly can when they can sell 10 cases of 308 factory for $5k.

Invictus77

1C16:13 - J1:9
Staff member
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Definitely a trust IMHO. Add your wife, son. best friend, all the above. If nothing else it will make their life 100X simpler if you go out in a car wreck next week.

paulo

Contributor
FALaholic #
So………… the quick approval is for individuals doing the form 4 e file. Trust’s are still taking forever. 😡
You can do an individual application, get your can and then transfer it to a trust. That way you get your can quick but………. It’s another $200 for the transfer from an individual to a trust.
We did a trust. This way anybody on the trust can take the can and use it. Also when I croak my Mrs. Does not have to f with the paper work.
My .02

Trypcil

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Reddit, seems to be alive with this at the moment - some reports are saying days, and People are walking out with them. Someone correct me please but my understanding is that there's some new sort of computer processing system been implemented at the atf(which also incidently has had it's budget recently cut by $122m) - and yes Trusts, do still take longer by what have read. Seeing that has got me all fired up but I'm waiting to after the election!

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Reddit, seems to be alive with this at the moment - some reports are saying days, and People are walking out with them. Someone correct me please but my understanding is that there's some new sort of computer processing system been implemented at the atf(which also incidently has had it's budget recently cut by $122m) - and yes Trusts, do still take longer by what have read. Seeing that has got me all fired up but I'm waiting to after the election!
The thing about a trust I reckon is that you have to submit several pages of the document along with the application. My trust is 20 pages. Application only is probably quicker

paulo

Contributor
FALaholic #
I’m not sure if you have to submit all the pages when you do the purchase. That may only be for the initial application to be able to purchase?
From what I know the trust takes longer because every person on the trust is checked out…… each and every time you buy a can. So more people on the trust more background checks.

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I’m not sure if you have to submit all the pages when you do the purchase. That may only be for the initial application to be able to purchas
From what I know the trust takes longer because every person on the trust is checked out…… each and every time you buy a can. So more people on the trust more background checks.
Yup, before not so much. It changed about 6 yrs ago.

Stranger

FALaholic #
What happens when you die?? If you don't have a trust, that is.
Generally, it will simply be transferred via Form 5. Its tax free for the heir.

Used to be you could name anyone you wanted to on the trust and they were co-owners. If someone died it was no big deal. Now each named person on the trust has to go through the ATF's hoops to get approved for the trust.

Fortunately, I got my trust amended before the change was made so my entire family are named owners.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Its just an expensive muffler.

Do it on a Form 4 and be done with it.

Consider it a consumable. Common-model used suppressors are virtually worthless on the second hand market, no matter how few rounds you put through them.

Douglas S Graham

FALaholic #
IMHO, shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get one. You don't for a muffler for your car, and it's the same concept. Fcking politicians and their ignorance. Of course, they bend you over for the 200. 00, so it's not going away.