• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Bear things in my AO and elsewhere

CG&L

FALaholic #
NFADLR

You're overthinking this x 1,000

Get a bag of pastries. Buy new if you want or get day olds from the grocery store, local bakery, cake shop or doughnut shop. Better yet, don't hold back and hit every place and get yourself a garbage bag full. You can put it in the freezer.

Make a small pile of the pastries in a good spot. A convenient place to shoot from, safe direction to shoot and all that. You probably already have a spot picked out.

Do this every day until the bear makes the doughnut snack a part of his daily routine.

Then shoot the sumbitch. Any rifle with any round will do. I would make a brain shot as I do that when poaching. Hunting would have been a better word to use and I plan on trying it some day.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
Make sure I have your contact info so I can call you to deal with the bears remains,
I don't have the equipment at present time to deal with a 500-750 lb bear.

I'm a little hesitant to do as you suggest as the local game warden already knows I have a issue with bears and he comes around every so often.

I don't like living in / on California but I would like living in a local jail even less.

NFADLR

You're overthinking this x 1,000

Get a bag of pastries. Buy new if you want or get day olds from the grocery store, local bakery, cake shop or doughnut shop. Better yet, don't hold back and hit every place and get yourself a garbage bag full. You can put it in the freezer.

Make a small pile of the pastries in a good spot. A convenient place to shoot from, safe direction to shoot and all that. You probably already have a spot picked out.

Do this every day until the bear makes the doughnut snack a part of his daily routine.

Then shoot the sumbitch. Any rifle with any round will do. I would make a brain shot as I do that when poaching. Hunting would have been a better word to use and I plan on trying it some day.

CG&L

FALaholic #
You don't have a small chain saw? A big one would work, it would be a little tougher but it would work
It'll be a lot easier to haul off the pieces.

I wouldn't worry about the Game Warden. It's unlikely he's anywhere around. Only when there's poaching activity in the area and at the time of the shoot is there anything to worry about.

If all this is too much for you, bait the bear for a week and leave out a gallon of anti-freeze.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Dude (I'm assuming again) when you live in California then you can 2nd guess what the local game warden is doing and where he is doing it.

With my luck he is just down the hwy on his weekly rounds.

I know about SSS but when the man has already been by the land and on official business (bear being a hazard, making a mess out of my garbage 3 weeks in a row, chasing my chicken and ducks around the yard you too may be leery of removing this creature from the world without government permission.

If I hadn't made contact with Johnny in the green and on the spot in his green truck I would consider that option, but hind sight ehh.

FALaholic #
A while back there was a post about shotgun slugs and the forensics of such, very informative. I would call the popo a couple of times and tell popo i am a feared for my families life due to bear. So when u pop him , self defense. But u r n californistan so allbets are off.

CG&L

FALaholic #
You just said the magic words 'chasing my chickens and ducks around the yard'

A bear threatens my chickens that would be the end of that bear with a quickness.

I like my chickens. They're like people without all the bad stuff that makes them a pain in the ass to put up with. And chickens are smarter than most people.
And chickens are more productive than most people. They produce eggs.

Randall

FALaholic #
NFADLR, I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if I'm asking silly questions.

Do you live in the country? Do you have a California Hunting License?
If so, just go buy yourself a bear tag. You can do so online. If not, go get yourself a hunting license and a bear tag. Bear season opens with the deer season. If it is deer archery season in your area, you can hunt it with a bow. You can continue to hunt it with a bow through the gun season as well if you want to...or, are too close to your neighbors to shoot a rifle. The season remains open until something like 1500 are killed throughout the state. Last years season went into 2019 before they closed the season. It is a long season. Just sayin' bear meat doesn't suck if you know how to cook it, and you could make a nice rug out of it as well.

Good luck with decision.
Randy

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Yes I'm in a county area.

Nope dont have a state issued hunting lisence, Can't find what they want to apply for such a license, don't have any other contracts so if they want a driver lisence to apply for a u
hunting license that's a deal breaker.

If you or anyone can post a link to what is requires to apply and receive such a license I would be obliged.

NFADLR, I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if I'm asking silly questions.

Do you live in the country? Do you have a California Hunting License?
If so, just go buy yourself a bear tag. You can do so online. If not, go get yourself a hunting license and a bear tag. Bear season opens with the deer season. If it is deer archery season in your area, you can hunt it with a bow. You can continue to hunt it with a bow through the gun season as well if you want to...or, are too close to your neighbors to shoot a rifle. The season remains open until something like 1500 are killed throughout the state. Last years season went into 2019 before they closed the season. It is a long season. Just sayin' bear meat doesn't suck if you know how to cook it, and you could make a nice rug out of it as well.

Good luck with decision.
Randy

AFeod

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Bob, you’ll need a CA DL or Fed ID for a hunting license. I needed to show one to put on the record just to take the Hunter’s safety class to be eligible to apply for my license. After that it’s easy and cheap for a bear tag.

I like the self proclaimed poacher. I would really listen to that guy... :whistling:

I still have that bear box I sent you pictures of. I will GIVE it to ya, because I don’t need it and it’ll help you out.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Thanks for the generous gift.

It's not in the cards for me to get a CA DL or ID, might have a Passport one now these days but not in time to get a hunting license.

Maybe I'll get a poachers license so much easier.

talk to you soon...

Bob, you’ll need a CA DL or Fed ID for a hunting license. I needed to show one to put on the record just to take the Hunter’s safety class to be eligible to apply for my license. After that it’s easy and cheap for a bear tag.

I like the self proclaimed poacher. I would really listen to that guy... :whistling:

I still have that bear box I sent you pictures of. I will GIVE it to ya, because I don’t need it and it’ll help you out.

AFeod

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I look forward to hearing from you.

Just an FYI, I was being facetious about the self proclaimed poacher... that guy is, 1, an idiot for posting the fact that he poaches...2, is a huge POS, because he poaches...

Just saying

Randall

FALaholic #
Yes I'm in a county area.

Nope dont have a state issued hunting lisence, Can't find what they want to apply for such a license, don't have any other contracts so if they want a driver lisence to apply for a u
hunting license that's a deal breaker.

If you or anyone can post a link to what is requires to apply and receive such a license I would be obliged.
Yep, as AFEOD mentioned, you definitely will need a legal ID along with proof of a Hunter Safety class. Sorry bro, wish I could help you out.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
BASTARD IS BACK...

Or at least something killed my last two ducks a few days ago and also just last night or today some time took the remains of them I had prepped to cremate in a burn barrel.

These critters were part of the family so to speak.

The ducks were 10-12 years old, so elderly I suppose.

I now have the light mount for my garand and the light that mounts on it is bad.

YES it was a chink knock off.

Now I need a good high lumen light for the garand.

wanneroo

FALaholic #
I was swamped with bears this year due to the bear season last year being a bust due to a big winter storm that drove the bears to hibernate. This year the state added a early muzzleloader season for bears and thanks to my trail cam intel, a family friend was persistent for a few days and got one. So that is population down by one.

Once they find a source of food they will be back through and in my case on this rural property, there are tons of apple trees and berry bushes and similar things so not much I can do about that. For me this year I was seeing them way too often so time to knock the population down. The main bear season is coming up and a family is coming to give the property a sweep and see if they can flush out another.

I'd say if you have a bear that is getting danger close into stuff at the house then they have crossed the line and it's time to hunt him when the season is on or let someone else do it.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
That is also the same reason I had a hard time transferring my FN 50.63 last year.

I had to find a willing FFL that knew me from my days as a FFL holder.

NOT worth it getting a DL/ID being so close to getting away from this communist state.

Yep, as AFEOD mentioned, you definitely will need a legal ID along with proof of a Hunter Safety class. Sorry bro, wish I could help you out.

Grunt

FALaholic #
Why don't you invite legal licensed hunters to hunt the bear on your property during hunting season. The hunters will have an easy hunt since the bear make your house a regular stop and the hunters will take the dead body away. I bet you can find a Bear Hunting Forum for your area on line with a few google searches.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Having a license is only for legal fictions, flesh and blood men and women IMO don't require such fictional overlays aka STRAWMAN.

NO offence but I've always been of the opinion that anyone that owns land can hunt that land without permission from any government agencie.

Thank you for the suggestion however.

I would entertain intrested individuals from this forum that live nearby that have a desire to hunt blackbeard contact me.

Why don't you invite legal licensed hunters to hunt the bear on your property during hunting season. The hunters will have an easy hunt since the bear make your house a regular stop and the hunters will take the dead body away. I bet you can find a Bear Hunting Forum for your area on line with a few google searches.

rkad

FALaholic #
What is the comparison of mauling from pet bears vs large cats? After watching a few episodes of a show about people getting killed or mauled by their exotic pets (snakes, giant lizards, chimps, a bull and lots of big cats), there was a noticeable absence of pet bear mauling. They tried to sneak one in of an old lady that was feeding wild bears for many months then decided it was getting too dangerous so she suddenly stopped. They still showed up as they were accustomed to being fed, but were angry because there was no food, so she grabbed her walker and went outside to scare them off. They weren't her pets and were not domesticated so it does't count.