• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Aussie Wood

JimmerJammer

FALaholic #
Would it be correct to have walnut handguards/ pistol grips on an Aussie? They appear to be Australian by what I can tell, but the stock is a lighter wood, akin to Beech that I know for sure is aussie.

Did they ever use walnut buttstocks?

Earlofsquirrel

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
All the Australian stuff is made from coachwood. There's probably more but I've personally seen 3 finish variations on their stocks. The "lighter" type, like this:

A5B104A4-74D8-4DB5-A6E4-56DE32ACCD18.jpeg
Then 2 types of darker finishes, this kind from the Malayan kits (and others I'm guessing, I'm sure the other members will know) like this:
B1DD465E-D205-4224-A806-D2BA37808854.png
And whatever this green-black creosote (like a railroad tie) type is:
EC6794E7-4573-49BB-BEF7-494400A58B53.jpeg
There's a large variation in color between the types also

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
The finish on Aussie wood is Boiled Linseed Oil which on it's own naturally darkens over time. Also, those really dark stocks from Malaya are mostly dark from the grease and oil applied to them over the years, take some Dawn dish soap to them, then steam out the dirt and the oil and then reapply BLO and they will be as light as the lightest Aussie stuff you see.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The finish on Aussie wood is Boiled Linseed Oil which on it's own naturally darkens over time. Also, those really dark stocks from Malaya are mostly dark from the grease and oil applied to them over the years, take some Dawn dish soap to them, then steam out the dirt and the oil and then reapply BLO and they will be as light as the lightest Aussie stuff you see.
Yep, the dark greenish stuff comes right off with stripper, for paint and varnish, the type marked, will remove red stains, leaving nice grey wood ready for dye and oil.
May need to do it a couple times, scrubbing with a nylon brush dipped in baking soda, and adding vineger to your warm rinse water to cut the action on the stripper.
Did three like this today for folks.
Someone must have sold off a lot of them recently...

Earlofsquirrel

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Y'all gotta try this stuff.
31B4510C-2535-4BFD-94C8-0DD162E12B13.jpeg
I ran out of detergent and saw the bottle sitting in the bathroom and figured what the hell, it's worth a shot. Worked VERY well with minimal effort but didn't soak in as much as I'd like. Now I mix 4 parts of this with 2 parts mineral spirits, one part water, and one part PG. Haven't figured out the "best" technique yet but so far keeping the workpiece wet while gently rubbing for 5-10 mins then rinsing with hot water is where I'm at. Anything waxy left comes out easily with naphtha or xylene

Attachments:

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I just wash the stock with dawn dish soap to get the external stuff off then I soak a tshirt or an old towel in water and wrap it around the stock, I then iron it with a ski waxing iron. The steam created lifts the dirt and oil right out of the wood and is absorbed in to the tshirt. Do this a couple times until the tshirt or rag you are using no longer turns yellow or brown.

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Would it be correct to have walnut handguards/ pistol grips on an Aussie? They appear to be Australian by what I can tell, but the stock is a lighter wood, akin to Beech that I know for sure is aussie.

Did they ever use walnut buttstocks?
Aussie rifles would have only ever had coachwood.

Post pics of what you have.

enbloc8

FALaholic #
Aussie rifles would have only ever had coachwood.

Post pics of what you have.
There was another wood used as well, the name "myrtle beech" comes to mind somehow. I have an unused replacement buttstock made from something other than coachwood...the grain is visibly different. But, we're talking VERY very late, like late 1980s after assembly had ended.

Thorack

Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Yeah,

Andy is just teasing, there is no way he would drop an add in the Market Place for a couple of pair of those handguards with some ridiculous price, or would he?
;)

Thorack

Yes post 86 or so they used something different. The MA88, 89 and 90 butts were all from this. Darker from the get go.

NOS look like this...

JimmerJammer

FALaholic #
So the handguards sort of look like walnut... I'm quite sure the pistol grip is... stock looks like coachwood?
Its a very early enterprise ABNI build... I would have asked the original owner but he blew his brains out...

The Chief

Farkën Snêekee Bastïtch
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
So the handguards sort of look like walnut... I'm quite sure the pistol grip is... stock looks like coachwood?
Its a very early enterprise ABNI build... I would have asked the original owner but he blew his brains out...

Stock is Brit, made of beech... grip definitely walnut, HG also look it...

Armsdad

FALaholic #
Black coated laminate hg. School me on these since were talkin bout wood.

Attachments: