• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Aussie/Nz contract build photo thread

BUCC__Guy

FALaholic #
Yes. Sighted it in at 100 yds, erring on the high side of POA. About 3" groups, and ability to hit a 3" polymer bobble. Ammo was SA surplus. Going to try the ZQI stuff this weekend.

Bayonet also arrived. (Photo thread needs a photo, I suppose)

USMCTanker

FALaholic #
My guess is you could shrink those groups once you "settle down" with the weapon after firing it a few times, and try some different ammo.

Please keep us updated. With more pics, of course :)

mrclark303

FALaholic #
New Zealand contract AD64 Lithgow

Afternoon all,

Thought I would share the latest rebuild out of my workshop, its yet another NZ contract Lithgow AD64, deactivated again (deactivated 20 years ago), but at least it's now a pretty deac!

It came to me as a box of bits, so I had a rummage about in my spares box, repainted her and fitted a set of restored woodwork...

Happy with the result.

Attachments:

Matell

FALaholic #
Afternoon all,

Thought I would share the latest rebuild out of my workshop, its yet another NZ contract Lithgow AD64, deactivated again (deactivated 20 years ago), but at least it's now a pretty deac!

It came to me as a box of bits, so I had a rummage about in my spares box, repainted her and fitted a set of restored woodwork...

Happy with the result.
Beautiful! Outstanding work!

SteelGreyML

FALaholic #
Afternoon all,

Happy with the result.
That looks great! I guess activating it is not possible there.

mrclark303

FALaholic #
Unfortunately not, it would be a prohibited weapon if re-activated here in the UK, I do have two live L1A1's though, Lithgow and Enfield, rebuilt to straight pull configuration, but with original Receivers

TvA

FALaholic #
Good morning from Finland,

bought my one and only FAL/L1A1-family rifle back in 2001 when a shipment of a few hundred Lithgow-built rifles popped in to the local civilian gun market. The rifles were rated by the seller from fair to excellent condition which affected pricing of an individual rifle, mine was rated "good", something in between fair and excellent. I paid for this rifle with an inch pattern 20 round magazine less than US$200, the excellent ones would have been about US$250-300. Note: this is the inflation adjusted value of the money I spent in 2001...

Contrary to my previous post the rifle is made in 1968 (not 1967) and to the best of my knowledge (i.e. serial number AD6809506) it was shipped to Singapore, alas it doesn't have any Singaporean markings I've seen on for example Singaporean police force issued weapons.

The rifle looks like it has been carried along quite a lot in a drill field, plus it has got the obligatory armory-induced dings and dents, but the bore is impeccable and its internal parts fit to each other almost like components on a hand made Swiss pocket watch. The trigger breaks at about 1,5 kilos (3.3 lbs) and after slight and careful polishing doesn't have any noticeable creep.

The rifle is a decent shot, 10 shot groups hang around 2,5-3 MOA depending on the batch of NATO surplus ammo.

Here it is in the early morning sunlight. The rifle is, excluding touch of an enhancement on the trigger group, unmodified and the furniture is all original, I do though occasionally apply some gun stock oil and wax for protection against harsh Finnish elements.

...and with the leisure SUIT on...

Markings...

Proofed for sale in C.I.P. countries by Birmingham Proof House

Seemingly not a "frankenfal"...

TvA

FALaholic #
...missed one marking on the barrel. Don't really know how to read this though... looks like there's an inverted number seven(*) on the left side.

(*) Correcting myself, this date code deciphers as: ZC 4, April 1997

Please excuse my ongoing monologue, I don't know if this was common knowledge but to me this is all new and exiting :) At the time I bought this rifle there wasn't so much info readily available online like it is today, although one has to be a little suspicious and cross check, good example is BNP stamp of which there are even today people with 100% certainty it stands for "British Nitro Proof"...

Last edited:

mrclark303

FALaholic #
TVC, superb rifle, the ex Singapore rifles were on average very well looked after L1A1's.

I have a 1971 (ex Singapore Police example) that is in similar condition, though mine is in British plastic from her days as a UK civilian shooter.

:fal::fal:

BUCC__Guy

FALaholic #
Kidnapped Dad's neutered, ban-era L1A1 in plastic furniture. Sent to Randy Kline to make the barrel evil. Just installed the wood furniture. Missing a sling swivel, so it's got no buttplate in place, but it's good enough to present on Christmas.

And, a curse on whoever designed the return spring nut contraption. I almost hit my cleaning lady with it as it flew across the room, and I ruined my favorite shorts, which are now covered in black grease.

And, I shamelessly used it to bolster my Commonwealth stash picture:

SteelGreyML

FALaholic #
Very nice Sir!

Kidnapped Dad's neutered, ban-era L1A1 in plastic furniture. Sent to Randy Kline to make the barrel evil. Just installed the wood furniture. Missing a sling swivel, so it's got no buttplate in place, but it's good enough to present on Christmas.

And, a curse on whoever designed the return spring nut contraption. I almost hit my cleaning lady with it as it flew across the room, and I ruined my favorite shorts, which are now covered in black grease.

And, I shamelessly used it to bolster my Commonwealth stash picture:

schaubel777

FALaholic #
PNG contract

I have been getting back into FALs as of late, digging through my old kits and discovered two PNG contract kits, unique flash hiders and shorter buttstocks included. The barrels are demilled and I was hoping that there are still Aussi barrels around. I think I used to have 3 kits as I found a third PNG flash hider. May have built one of my old commanding officers an L1A1 and didn't utilize the fh in the build. My squadron always gave the retiring CO a rifle or 1911 as a thank you gift. Anyone out there have an Aussi barrel or two they could part with? Also just found a wood and pressed steel folding bipod for the heavy barreled L1A1. L2A1? So what are the chances of finding a HB gas block or complete barrel to fit this folding bipod to for a hb builde? Anyone have one they are looking to sell? Pictures are on the way.

Last edited:

schaubel777

FALaholic #
Indian barrels

I forgot to ask in my last post and I do not presently have a new receiver to test with...so, can an Indian barrel be used to on a British/Inch receiver? I found 3 Indian barrels in my Fal stash and was hoping to put them to use on a build. I think these came from FAC when they closed out. Any thoughts on this?