• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Aussie/Nz contract build photo thread

paolo.orange

FALaholic #
Sure, my pleasure.
I guess that this Aussie would be illegal in US.

As I told you I'm not an expert of FALs . I bougth that because it 's a good looking FAL with a very sharp barrel, but when I disassembled it at home I had a lot of surprises :): i guess I was pretty lucky.
Could you please educate me about my rifle? I can surely sent you by PM the serial number if it helps.

Paolo

enbloc8

FALaholic #
paolo.orange said:
Sure, my pleasure.
I guess that this Aussie would be illegal in US.

As I told you I'm not an expert of FALs . I bougth that because it 's a good looking FAL with a very sharp barrel, but when I disassembled it at home I had a lot of surprises :): i guess I was pretty lucky.
Could you please educate me about my rifle? I can surely sent you by PM the serial number if it helps.

Paolo
Lithgow, made in 1971. Beautiful rifle. :bow:

Is it still in 7.62 NATO? I thought civilian ownership of military calibers was not allowed in Italy?

enbloc8

FALaholic #
STEALTH66 said:
what's the story with the "two slots & nose under the gasblock" vs. "three holes and no nose"? old style, new style? aussie vs. brit? do enlighten me, guys and gals!
The Australian handguard design changed around 1968. Pre-1968 was solid wood of the "two slots & nose under the gas block" style; from 1968 on it was laminated wood of the "three holes and no nose" style.

So far as I know the British stayed with the two-slots design of handguard until they started using the reinforced nylon furniture in the 1970s.

paolo.orange

FALaholic #
enbloc8 said:

Lithgow, made in 1971. Beautiful rifle. :bow:

Is it still in 7.62 NATO? I thought civilian ownership of military calibers was not allowed in Italy?
Yes it's a 7,62 NATO.
We do not have restriction for .223/5.56 ,45ACP, .338... too.
The only restricted caliber here is the 9x19 ( yes it makes no sense) that has been replaced for the civilian market by the 9x21 which has just the same properties

angusmac

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Well I finished my third build and it's my first Commonwealth, but I guess I'm gonna have to refinish the wood and paint the thing to fit in with you guys.... damn these are some nice rifles!

CTW

Contributor
FALaholic #
My aussie. I know a type III receiver. She shoots real nice though and has a 1968 chrome lined barrel to boot.:wink: My two favorite rifle's.

Last edited:

tdb59

Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Not perfectly done, tho better than the beaver crew's work!
Barrel was "overtimed", et cetera.
NGL Imbel upper, cut for inch charging handle, metric mags

I am not a purist when it comes to my own shooters, as safe queens just sit and may as well be canoe paddles in my little slice of Heaven.

I did mod the grip with more ' fill ' to the palm of the hand a'la 1911A1

The angry beaver barrel was slotted and RH thread under the pinned and welded ear gethumper

The rear sight has been modded for a smaller aperture, also

Thanks again to SloCat for the Carry Handle slot filler!

Last edited:

mmcalc

FALaholic #
Nice rifles there!

How long is the barrel on the one with the full length gas system? I want to build one just like that.

I mocked it up and am now waiting on the barrel and manryl stock set. Here is the crude picture of the crude mock up:

Thanks
Mike

Toystory

FALaholic #
Nice rifles there!

How long is the barrel on the one with the full length gas system? I want to build one just like that.

I mocked it up and am now waiting on the barrel and manryl stock set. Here is the crude picture of the crude mock up:
Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike,
I think it's 18 inches. This one was modified before serving in Malaya and Vietnam with NZ SAS 4 Troop/1st Ranger Squadron.

Toystory

FALaholic #
Would this technically have been a "B*tch Gun" then? Or was it nothing more than a stock SLR cut down to size?
Unsure of the term, but I've heard this called a "break" gun as in "Break Engagement", it had the L2A1 full auto parts installed. So I think it may have been built up or could be a cut down L1A1 with the extras added.

enbloc8

FALaholic #
Sounds much like what I've seen referred to by the Australian forces in Vietnam as a "B*tch Gun"...L1A1 with the barrel cut down short of the gas block, and full auto parts installed. I know that some also had the American XM148 grenade launcher installed under the barrel, but I don't know if that was true of all "B*tch Guns". (I have also heard the "Break Gun" term used.)

genethepoolcleaner

UnReconstructed
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Finished build, a mixture of new and NOS parts with a few from the build kit I purchased. DSA receiver with a DEZ barrel. Global Military Gunsmithing did the upper receiver build for me. I built the lower. Still need to go to the range and see how she does. The hand guard is dated May70

Max the cat wants to check out the build also.
I think Max is checking out HIS SLR. you know how cats are.
GTPC

Bladewurk

FALaholic #
AD67

Trying to decide which way to go with this mixmaster, All Aussie parts except Brit wood..I need to do a Brit Build and swap furniture. This is B61 Walnut

Gotta testfire and zero also.. sorry no booze, toes or tobacco dangit