• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

APEX trigger for S&W SW9VE

twinlamp

FALaholic #
Just finished installing the APEX (polymer) trigger for my (cheap) S&W SW9VE 9mm. Followed the instructions on their video to the letter, everything seemed to drop in ok and did the recommended function check for the trigger bar pull/sear reset. Then put the slide back on. Problem is the gun no longer functions at all, the trigger doesn't travel enough to release the striker. As a result the gun can no longer be field stripped with the striker being cocked. Try to troubleshoot and find out APEX says (seriously) trigger stop area needs to be filed down by the end user.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't buy cheap handguns and expect to make them better.
2. Don't buy parts from companies that are either incapable or unwilling to make them correctly to specification.
3. Don't buy cheap handguns (or long guns) period.

I'll probably torch cut the polymer frame and toss the remains in the garbage. It really isn't worth the effort to make the POS parts work.

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
I have installed Apex trigger kits on multiple S&W polymer pistols. I found their products to be better than most and once adjusted per their instructions and videos. Filing down the trigger stop is the same as adjusting the trigger stop/over-travel screw is all part of that install. I can recall a trigger kit for a Glock, Ghost Trigger IIRC, that came with a half height striker retaining plate so you could see the striker tab and manually disengage the trigger assembly from it if your initial adjustment was sufficient to release the striker.

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
The SW9 VE that I have actually has a pretty nice trigger. Better than any factory Glock and almost as good as the PSA dagger trigger.

Any of the differences, I just put into the category of learn how to use the tool. Modern day “channel lock“ pliers are entirely different than the original, old style of channel lock pliers and, though they operate slightly different, they still work just the same in the end.

I’ll second the quote “if you don’t want the piece of shit, I’ll take it”.

I ain’t kiddin neither.

csft

Contributor
FALaholic #
I used their flat face trigger on a M&P 2.0 , worked fine.
There has to be a way without trashing it to get it apart.

Pluribus

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I’m not seeing any triggers listed for the S&W SW9VE. Just the SD9VE. I don’t believe those are universal unless I don’t know what I’m talking about. Apextactical’s website doesn’t say that it’s universal and, I don’t see a separate listing. I wonder if they have been discontinued for that model?

cavegeo

Contributor
FALaholic #
I’m not seeing any triggers listed for the S&W SW9VE. Just the SD9VE. I don’t believe those are universal unless I don’t know what I’m talking about. Apextactical’s website doesn’t say that it’s universal and, I don’t see a separate listing. I wonder if they have been discontinued for that model?
As S&W no longer make a SW I suspect Apex discontinued that model trigger. The only difference is the actual springs between the two kits.

Pluribus

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
As S&W no longer make a SW I suspect Apex discontinued that model trigger. The only difference is the actual springs between the two kits.
Do tell? I appreciate the info. I was thinking about getting a hold of Apextactical, Monday and quiz them about such a thing. It may be doable although, in all honesty as I mentioned earlier above, I really don’t have a problem with the SW9VE factory trigger on my sample, It’s completely smooth and usable as it is and I fully recognize it’s not a model 15 combat masterpiece or 1911. I accept it for the tool difference that it has and use it.

Again, thanks for the info. 😎

OP, sorry for the thread drift. I’d still actually be interested in buying your busted gun. Not to make fun of you or show you up or anything like that. 🤫

cavegeo

Contributor
FALaholic #
Both pistol (SW and SD) are basically the same frame and slide. I have interchanged slides to see if they would work.

There are clearly different internal workings between the two. I suspect that the SD was created so S&W could stop paying Glock for there infringement to the 19 patient.

Timber Wolf

FALaholic #
A little off topic, but I smoothed the trigger on my old SW40GVE by dry firing it a bazillion times. I liked that gun except for the goofy proprietary accessory rail. I got my money out of it and moved on to drink the XDm koolaid.