• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Anyone use BLC-2 with 150gr bullets and LC brass?

kentuckyMarksman

FALaholic #
I was able to get some BLC-2 recently, and I've got a box full of 150gr Hornady FMJ bullets. Anyone use BLC-2 for their FALs? Hoping to clone an M80 load, and wondering where a good starting point would be for powder charges.

Goose52

FALaholic #
I scored 8lbs of BLC-2 a while back and that Hornady 150 FMJ is my go-to bullet for my SAR-48. I loaded 44.0 grains of BLC-2 under that bullet with a CCI #34 primer and got a 10 shot average of 2665 fps with 46 fps extreme spread and an SD of 13 on a 30 degree f morning - velocity could very well be over 2700 on a warmer day. Accuracy was good for a FAL (1.5 to 2 moa) - good enough to ding the 500 yard steel at my range so I called the load "good enuf" and never bothered to increase it. That load is actually around a starting load in the Hodgdon load data and could be increased a bit if you wanted more velocity. As usual - check published load data and work up safely...

MAINER

Old Salt
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Milsurp or commercial cases?

Goose’s load is a good start load in GI cases and looks to be an accurate one too.

Max charge in GI cases is 47.5 grns.
and 49.5 in commercial cases both with a 150 gr. bullet.

Slaughter

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
I use BLC-2 for 148gr bullets. I'm not close to my notes (on vacation) but if I recall, I used mid-power load recommendations from the Hodgdon tables. I also use BLC-2 for the 223. I don't sort brass. I had no signs of overpressure looking at primer indent and extractor "dent" on the base of the head.

FIANNAFAL

FALaholic #
Hornaday fmj boat tails are my go to projectiles. Not sure but thought they were 148 also.
Powder sounds good also for military brass. Plenty accurate for fals.
I am at back garden sweat break for now.

Goose52

FALaholic #
Milsurp or commercial cases?

Goose’s load is a good start load in GI cases and looks to be an accurate one too.

Max charge in GI cases is 47.5 grns.
and 49.5 in commercial cases both with a 150 gr. bullet.
Yes - I should have mentioned that load was in Lake City brass...