• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Anyone shot out a nitrided barrel?

Strop10

FALaholic #
How long have nitride barrels been available? Does any entity[ foreen guvmint,alfibit agincee, ect] use these? I'm kind of curious myself. I have chromed, steel and nitride and dont put enough lead down range to make an assesment. Unless the country comes to some deep shit or I become independently wealthy I'll never live long enough to wear out any of them. Then again, as the saying goes curiosity killed the cat,do I really want to know?
These

TerryN

FALaholic #
The general consensus in the benchrest/precision shooting world is: 'why in the world would you want to nitride a barrel?' They figure that barrels are consumable items, just like ammo. You shoot it until it quits shooting up to expectations, and then you replace it. Part of the reluctance to nitride barrels among that group is what happens if you get a stinker - a new, high-quality aftermarket barrel that doesn't shoot for s**t? You're already into it for $500 or more by the time it's chambered and threaded, and then you want to add additional cost for shipping and nitride treatment. Why bother?

On the BR forums you regularly see take-off name-brand barrels for sale with maybe 100-125 rounds through them. Those are the ones that don't shoot to standard.

The Chief

Farkën Snêekee Bastïtch
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
...Part of the reluctance to nitride barrels among that group is what happens if you get a stinker - a new, high-quality aftermarket barrel that doesn't shoot for s**t? You're already into it for $500 or more by the time it's chambered and threaded, and then you want to add additional cost for shipping and nitride treatment. Why bother?

For precision shooting barrels, it's often recommended to fire rounds to 'wear-in' and polish the bore, and remove those microscopic high spots, first. Then, run copper removal solution, neutralize, oil, then send in for nitride.

That way the QPQ process 'locks in' that bore condition, without those tiny cutter leftovers... and, it'll give you the feel whether it's a stinker prior to QPQ.