• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Anyone Into Old Fishing Reels?

Bigger_Is_Better

FALaholic #
I recently picked this up at my grandparents estate sale. I was just curious if anyone knows about them. I found some info online, but I wanted to get some thoughts on it. I'm thinking about selling it as I am NOT a fisherman. I never fish, so it's wasted on me. I just thought it looked really cool.

Thanks,
Aaron

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Oh, that's just great. An Abu-Garcia Ambassador 5000 is OLD? It's only my favorite bait casting reel. OK, I'll admit that seems to be an older example, but it ain't really changed. I'll shup now and go change my damn adult diaper.

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Bought my first one (left handed) in '75. Cost 65$ then. Last one was mid '80's, still got that one but I don't remember what that one cost. Had to replace the crank a few years ago. Still got my stash of flat wound 30# black dacron braided line.

jeffrey

FALaholic #
Not an antique, but definitely a classic. When I graduated from a Zebco 33 push button reel to an honest to God bait casting reel, I saved up my paper route money and bought a 5000. Still have it,but
replaced it with a 5500c a long time ago. Now looking through a Cabelas catalogue, looks like the 5500c is also way, way obsolete. :rolleyes:

Actually,I'll be just fine with the 5000 and 5500c. I can't believe the prices for all the gee-whiz crap marketed to fishermen.

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Jeffery, you exposed a senior moment I had. The current version I have IS a 5500. Smooth as silk, built like a tank. It only gets used for bass fishing around heavy cover. It'll pull brush piles apart if a lure gets hung. No magnets, no "inertia" BS to keep a noob from fouling the spool, you have to take the trouble to learn how it works.

doubletap

FALaholic #
That's the reel that broke the hold Pfleuger had on the US baitcasting community. I'd guess it dates from the early '60's when they were first opening up the US market. Until then people like myself had to have a very educated thumb to us a baitcaster, and a strong thumb, because that was also your drag. I hate to think of all the Northerns in the 15-30 lb range I caught with my old Pfleuger Akron, cussing all get out when they would get mad and run. You could clamp down a bit with your thumb on the spool, and if you weren't paying a lot of attention, get your thumb run under the top crossbar, pinning it there while the fish continued to pull out line. You bruised the top side of your thumb and got a burn on the bottom side. The old Abu-5000 changed all that forever. Lot's easier to cast with the free spool and adjustable spool tension, a real drag, like a spinning reel had to handle bigger fish. You could use monofiliment line on it like a spinning reel too. No longer any need to nail knot on a 3 foot piece of 30 lb. mono to your braided casting line. I used to use Eagle Claw "Blond" for my leaders because it knotted so well. Yeah, you kinda opened a can of memories there with that reel. It probably just needs cleaning and relubing to be ready to fish again too!

Blaster

FALaholic #
Seeing the pictures of that reel reminded me of my bait casting technique that was learned on my older brothers open face bait casting reel. I got myself into what the brother called a "river of shit" everytime I brought his tackle home with the line hopelessly tangled up to the point that it had to be cut out off of the spool. Learned quickly how to use the old thumb to control the line when casting.:redface:

GW870

FALaholic #
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Old reel". Yeah, right.

Aaron, going from my old direct drive Pfleuger to an
Abu - 5000 was better than going from Gillette double
edge to Gillette 'Super' Blue Blades! It was 'WOW'!!!

How many of you 'elder persons' used a steel casting
rod while chunking your Lucky 13's, River Runts, and
Hawaiian Wigglers?
My first fiberglas rod was before my first 5000 but it
was also a major stunner.
Ahhhhh.....youth.

GW

doubletap

FALaholic #
Now ya done it. Steel rods and Midget Digit River Runt Spooks! Man does that bring back memories! Wish I had an old Heddon catalog to read tonight with those thoughts bouncing around the old bean. Yeah, one of my best fishing rods when I was a kid was a 5 1/2 ft. steel rod my Grandfather gave me with his old Pfleuger Akron attached to it. I learned to lube and tune that old reel, and with 3/8 and 1/4 oz lures it would cast well. Caught my largest largemouth bass on that rig still to this day, over 6 lbs, which in Northern Wisconsin is a BIG bass. Took him on a perch coloured Heddon Super Sonic lure while casting off some rip rap rocks on a backwater of a big river. I was all of 12 years old then. Took my largest ever white bass on a redhead River Runt, while casting for spring spawn northerns too, just over 4 1/2 lbs, must have been all of 14 at that time. Used the old Pfleuger on a new Heddon Musky Special rod for that one, as well as countless northern in the 12-30 pound range.
Yeah, the first free spool reel was a wonder, but as everyone still finds out you still need "the thumb" to do it well.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I've never been a big fan of bait casting reels and always prefered spinning reels for chucking cast & retrieve lures. I dont mind switching hands for bottom or other fishing, but switching hands every time when your casting repeatedly all day never made a whole lot of sense to me..and still dosent.
I recently decided to give bait casting another go and this time around threw conventional wisdom out the window and bought a Left hand reel,, and what a difference not having to switch hands every cast makes !! I'm actually starting to like using a bait caster !! :)

55bird

FALaholic #
For bait casting I use Shimano "Calcutta" reels. Good stuff. They don't twist up your line causing birds nest . Best thing for snook.
Lure casting I use Shimano spinners. Water temp is getting just right for some dinner.

slavicshooter

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Necro-thread. Don't whine.

Cleaning out a shed, found this hiding in a corner - PENN REEL Peerless No 9. Seems to function as intended. If it tickles you, PM me.

If that fu#kin' reel tickles me, I'll empty a magazine on it. I don't abide homo stuff, be it human or fishing reel.~ss

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
My spinning reel is a (these days) Garcia Mitchell 300. My dad gifted my first one in 1974 when I was 14. Taught me how to take it apart to clean, keep multiple spools with different weight line, and move it to different rods for different fish. But the very best lessons were how to 'feather' a finger on the top of the spool during a cast to drop the lure exactly where you wanted it to land. He could drop a lure in a Dixie cup at fifty feet. I never got that good.

I spent more time fishing with my dad than any of the other siblings. I don't have any better childhood memories than those days.