• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Anybody here into TOPS knives?

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Looking at many of the Tops knife styles, the one I chose to own was the brothers of bushcraft fieldcraft. It has a scandanavian grind which is very sharp and easy to maintain an edge.

View attachment 385502
I too, bought this knife. I have not used it to any significant degree but am impressed with it in terms of feel and finish.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
They break easy, surprisingly. I have a BOB in 154CM - looks and feels nice and is thick and heavy. Watched a guy destroy one online doing dumb shit, but a knife designed for chopping and batoning should've taken most of that and it snapped - too brittle.

RG Coburn

FALaholic #
They break easy, surprisingly. I have a BOB in 154CM - looks and feels nice and is thick and heavy. Watched a guy destroy one online doing dumb shit, but a knife designed for chopping and batoning should've taken most of that and it snapped - too brittle.
You broke yours,or you watched someone else break theirs?
Tops does a good job on their QC,from what I've seen.

MACV

FALaholic #
I don’t think Tops are anything special.
overpriced maybe. They seem to use 1095 steel on their knives. Same as Kbar or or other knives that cost a lot less. For $200+ I’d expect better steel. Like SV30, D2, even 440c.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
I don’t think Tops are anything special.
overpriced maybe. They seem to use 1095 steel on their knives. Same as Kbar or or other knives that cost a lot less. For $200+ I’d expect better steel. Like SV30, D2, even 440c.
1095 is actually less tough than lower carbon steels like 1075, though maintains a better edge. I'd think toughness would be priority for bushcraft focused knives. They use 154CM as stainless, but NOT the CPM variant made of powdered metal that gives better performance.

HND7

BANNED
BANNED
FALaholic #
I have lots of TOPS knives including the Steel Eagle. Have never got around to using it but it does feel good in hand. A very heavy duty knife. I would certainly recommend it as a survival type knife. The design has been around for a very long time and I've only heard good things about it. So I'd choose that.

I just took a look at the SXB. If that's not the ugliest knife I've ever seen .... That's just my opinion, though.

Deltaten

FALaholic #
TOPS "Dawn Warrior" here. Picked it up as a *go-to* so's I didn't hafta take a chance on losing my WWII era KaBar "boy scout" type camp knife. Got it back in the day from that NY dealer guy at a gun show, before the prices doubled
Not particularly fond of the plastic shearh and belt clip arrangement; tho, I should do one up in leather.
The flat grind is pretty steep..3/16" to 0 in about 3/4" but, put an edge onnit and hello dolly!
Not likin' the almost flat, pebble grain "coating"; but it keeps the rust off the carbon steel
Grip shape and scales are a perfect fit for me mitts.

Pro/con about even and I know unless I lose it somehow, it'll follow the KaBar into legacy collection.
Would I buy again? Prolly not, given the prices for a cut and grind blade; but as a utility tool....it'just dandy.