• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Any reason not to buy Romanian made Mosin Nagant?

Glucker

FALaholic #
Looking for a rifle to fire up some Wolf 7.62x54 ammo I have, don't need anything fancy, and the Russian rifles sure are expensive these days. I remember when they were like $89 for an arsenal redone one in preservative paper, so hard for me to pay $500++ now...

I have seen a couple of Romanian post WWII made ones lately (maybe all Romanians were post war?) that are in much nicer shape and much less expensive. Assuming you get a nice all matching one in decent shape, were there any problems with these? Weak receivers or anything like that? Never heard of such, but would appreciate any red flags if anyone knows of any.

Thanks,

SmokeEater2

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
I've never heard anything bad about the Romanians and if I was in the market for another Mosin I certainly wouldn't turn down a good deal on one.

hairygreek

FALaholic #
They are as good quality as any other while looking at them. Romanian M44 are the most common, Romanian made M91/30 very rare. And there are the civil defense Instructie M91/30 and VZ24, also Romy army used a number of M91 during WWII (I think most the "Balkan M91" imports are Romy).

SmokeEater2

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
There’s no reason to not buy any mosin unless it’s been bubbad. Every one produced by every country was rock solid for what it was designed for
Yup, Mosins never die. I saw a picture a few days ago of a Russian soldier with a scoped Mosin in Ukraine.

Proof enough to me that there are still a few Mosins out there that I'd like to see hit the surplus market.