• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Another Day at the office

Invictus77

1C16:13
Staff member
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I play with rotating equipment
I'm mining & mills now, and I had not been in a power plant for nearly 20 years. On Tuesday this week however I was at Wyodak in Gillette and got a step-by-step tutorial on one they have down for rotor replacement. Cool stuff!

We currently have all the ancillary rotating electrical apparatus in our shops for rebuild during the outage (ID fan, FD fan, BFP, CWP, etc.)

TXMoose

FALaholic #
^^^^ What does that do? Looks like another component goes on top of the square part.
Larry
First one is a large axial air compressor for a FCC unit at a refinery, think compressor section of a jet engine. The FCC cycle and equipment trains are some of the most interesting around

The second and third are of a small/medium size steam turbine being disassembled, iirc drives about a 25MW air cooled generator ( or about the output of 10-12 wind turbines)

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Getting addicted to the Milwaukee cordless stuff, picked up a new 3/4" gun today 1200 lb ft in reverse and 750 forward. Tried it out on some hub pilot wheels with the 33mm flange nut and it spun them right off. tightened them back on and checked with the torque wrench and got an easy 550 lb ft. Next test is Budd nuts on a set of dual wheels.
Been using the hell out of the 3/8" gun too. A fully charged 5.0 battery goes a week on it.
20220525_121259.jpg 20220525_092023.jpg

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Wait a minute, your name is 12V71 - why do I see yellow and not Alpine Green?

Eli
We have a Kenworth with an 8V92 that's green. I've been trying to get them to get me an older Peterbilt with a 12V71 to make into a pet truck. ;) They're watching...

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
Went to home depot for trimmer string and walked out feeding my Milwaukee tool addiction, got a 1/4" impact driver and compact 1/2" drill on sale. Not sure which is worse, guns or tools. :rolleyes:
View attachment 213731
It doesn't matter. The other half will always say "you already have one of those things. Why do you need two?":unsure::whistle:

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
It doesn't matter. The other half will always say "you already have one of those things. Why do you need two?":unsure::whistle:
Mine helps pick them out... "I think this set is a better deal" is what she had to say. It started last week when I had to tear the entire dashboard out of a Navistar truck to get to the A/C system and told her I wanted a cordless screw driver. She's been online looking. :cool:

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Got our ex-fire truck back from the painter, not a bad farm truck paint job for 1800 bux, started piddling with the stuff I have to do to make it a semi tractor again, the realized that the air box drain was draining coolant. Great, I have to pull the right hand head and have the injector sleeves replaced. Next week's project when the road trucks aren't hounding me. A little help would be nice...
20220722_141349.jpg

4x401

Keeping it cooler...;)
Silver Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Got our ex-fire truck back from the painter, not a bad farm truck paint job for 1800 bux, started piddling with the stuff I have to do to make it a semi tractor again, the realized that the air box drain was draining coolant. Great, I have to pull the right hand head and have the injector sleeves replaced. Next week's project when the road trucks aren't hounding me. A little help would be nice...
View attachment 218572
At least you have a nice working environment. 🙂

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
At least you have a nice working environment. 🙂
Yes I do, plenty of light, good strong air compressors, that nice overhead crane, and anything else I need to get the job done.
The management didn't squawk when I wanted a new $6800 AC recycler machine because the old one was a POS. I now have about $7K in laptop programs to do diagnostics on our truck engines. Been saving a lot of money VS sending stuff out.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Well after a bunch of other stuff I got back to the 8V92 a couple of days ago and finished getting the head off (back burner project) and found cracks in the head on the #2R cylinder... Now the hunt for a replacement begins. Yay.
20220804_065052.jpg

And #8 lost an injector, only one currently in the US is in Fairbanks Alaska... more air freight charges.
20220804_065155.jpg