• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Another Day at the office

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
This is the sleeve that goes into the cylinder head, 2 o-rings at the top and a metal to metal fit at the bottom with some Loctite 620 to help sealing.
20240529_113005.jpg

The lower oring on the injector seals inside the sleeve, if it leaks and the sleeve orings leak fuel heads into the coolant.
20240529_075518.jpg

Installer and removal tools.
20240529_075242.jpg

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
So it takes two o ring failures to mix fuel and coolant?
Perfect storm, 65 PSI of fuel pressure vs 13 PSI of coolant pressure.
Actually the sleeve o-rings are exposed to fuel pressure at all times. Just realized that the lower injector ring is inside the sleeve. My bad bring on the wet spaghetti lash.

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Perfect storm, 65 PSI of fuel pressure vs 13 PSI of coolant pressure.
Actually the sleeve o-rings are exposed to fuel pressure at all times. Just realized that the lower injector ring is inside the sleeve. My bad bring on the wet spaghetti lash.
I've got top entry regulators that operate with 6~800 psi differential that use a six inch diameter,1/16th o ring to seal the body. The mating surface sorta' needs to be clean, and you better read the torque values for the bonnet bolts. Tighter ain't no ways bettah'.

ETA: One click on the torque wrench, Vasili, one click only.

Last edited:

Invictus77

1C16:13 - J1:9
Staff member
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Did I tell you about pulling this coupling. A keyless coupling with a .022" interference fit on a 64 ton electric motor?

Yes you read that correctly, a .022" interference fit, this is no small feat.

1717206420714.jpeg

We pulled it off, but it took a second attempt with a better process to make it happen.

1717206491081.jpeg

TXMoose

FALaholic #

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Got out today to evaluate a pair of early/mid 2000's Peterbilts a local guy (retiring) has for sale. Sweet trucks with pre emission Cat engines. One has 500K original miles, the older one has 600K. 475HP, 18 speeds, new brakes and tires, and high top sleepers... what's not to like. Course dumass here didn't take pics but I bet one is in the yard in less than a week.
Of course I'll be putting bling on it for a week before it hits the road (have to have those damn 8" straight pipes and new aluminum wheels)

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Our new to us # 10 truck showed up today. I took it out for a 30 mile cruise to check it out... pretty nice. No growls or howls or new oil leaks. The flunkies get to do a 5,000 PSI pressure wash to remove blistered paint on the frame and wire brush and repaint it with some semi-gloss black.
Going to leave the lift axle on for now. The acid wash guy will be out this weekend to brighten the wheels and the rest of the bare aluminum. And because the entire lower exhaust is all new I don't have to put those damn 8" stacks on it until next spring. Got other fish to fry right now.
20240613_061950.jpg
20240613_062004.jpg

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Getting a 'Oh Shit' feeling about a project coming up next month. The scope changed. Replacing ~280 feet of 12 inch pipe because they lost the records or Republic pipe from the '70's sucks or something. That wasn't too bad at all. What it feeds has an alternate that is literally automatic. Valve in that section, gas comes from another pipe and takes over. Built to do that.

Now they want to replace pipe that gets into that part. This one facility handles from 25 to 60 million cubic feet a day. We haven't figured out exactly how to make this work yet without spending millions on temporary pipe, stopples and bypasses. Stoppleing live pipe is expensive. Which would be right in the middle of the replacement project.

Party bonus, the guy who should be figuring this out retired last year. I'm the only one left.
Pissin' and moanin', I know. But you guys are all I have to bitch to.

4x401

Keeping it cooler...;)
Silver Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Getting a 'Oh Shit' feeling about a project coming up next month. The scope changed. Replacing ~280 feet of 12 inch pipe because they lost the records or Republic pipe from the '70's sucks or something. That wasn't too bad at all. What it feeds has an alternate that is literally automatic. Valve in that section, gas comes from another pipe and takes over. Built to do that.

Now they want to replace pipe that gets into that part. This one facility handles from 25 to 60 million cubic feet a day. We haven't figured out exactly how to make this work yet without spending millions on temporary pipe, stopples and bypasses. Stoppleing live pipe is expensive. Which would be right in the middle of the replacement project.

Party bonus, the guy who should be figuring this out retired last year. I'm the only one left.
We happily embrace the suck with you. 😁

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
Just show up at the next planning session with a lit cigarette in hand and say "Well plan A won't work. Anybody else got an idea?" Don't forget to smirk when you say it.

jimmbob

unreparated
Contributor
FALaholic #
Our new to us # 10 truck showed up today. I took it out for a 30 mile cruise to check it out... pretty nice. No growls or howls or new oil leaks. The flunkies get to do a 5,000 PSI pressure wash to remove blistered paint on the frame and wire brush and repaint it with some semi-gloss black.
Going to leave the lift axle on for now. The acid wash guy will be out this weekend to brighten the wheels and the rest of the bare aluminum. And because the entire lower exhaust is all new I don't have to put those damn 8" stacks on it until next spring. Got other fish to fry right now.
View attachment 419414 View attachment 419415
very nice, but that's expected as it's a pete

we also need a pic or 2 from the front with the hood closed please so we can do before and after pics

and I must say.... you have a great boss and owner to give ya such a nice budget to work with along with the nice shop and top of the line equipment

I know lotsa mechanics where the shop floor is outside in 4 iches of mud on a blu tarp in the rain or snow, always losing their tools in the muck too which topped it off

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
View attachment 419414 View attachment 419415
Not exactly crazy about the "Double Trouble" series turbo setup on this engine but there is an emissions legal single turbo kit that really cleans up the engine access, done two of the others already.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #

we also need a pic or 2 from the front with the hood closed please so we can do before and after pics

and I must say.... you have a great boss and owner to give ya such a nice budget to work with along with the nice shop and top of the line equipment

I know lotsa mechanics where the shop floor is outside in 4 iches of mud on a blu tarp in the rain or snow, always losing their tools in the muck too which topped it off
We have a couple of spare trucks ('86 models) so I don't have to work in muck. Pull the pin and put it in the shop. Same with trailers. Don't call me out at 3AM for light problems. Some of the guys really like the old Petes with the 3406 and extended hoods. For a while.
And if it happens on the side of I-90, a wrecker picks it up, I don't dodge stupid people in cars.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
And well... A pic of one of the '86 models, this was 2018 after a complete out of frame engine build up, the other is nearly identical except for having a 42" sleeper. Same engine overhaul on it and both got a few extra ponies over the original 425 HP. Nobody would be ashamed of driving these babies.
20180117_080703.jpg

This is the other one.
20180919_150455.jpg

The one in the top pic we got for 10K with a cracked block and I drove it home.

rkad

FALaholic #
Just finished (kind of) working on a GMC 9500 with a 6-71. Replaced the 30-40 year old hoses, changed all the filters, engine oil and coolant, new 11R-22.5 steers on new Dayton wheels that replaced the 30 year old 10.00-20's. While inspecting the air filter housing hose I discovered one of the air cut off doors was broken off, so 1/2 the blower inlet was blocked. A few spot welds fixed it right up.
2024-05-27 17.29.57.jpg

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
My brother had a boat with a 671 in it. Chesapeake Deadrise hull, about 26000 lbs. Spent a weekend on it after he drove it to the Bull River marina in-between Savanah and Tybee. Engine had a happy sound while shoving that hull along at about 10 knots.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #

Here's your pic with the hood down. I haven't done much with yet.
20240620_113045.jpg

This pile of shit is back with a bad clutch, for a truck that will be sold soon it just keeps eating money, in the last 4 months it's eaten a camshaft and most of the rocker arms $11K in parts that time, broke a turbo shaft a month ago, $4750 for a new variable geometry turbo and a new air to air cooler that was full of shrapnel.
This truck needs an Exorcist not a mechanic.
20240620_113103.jpg