• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Another Day at the office

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Bad valves in a reman head? WTF?
Larry
Something weird here, got the rockers off and injectors out, used a rubber tip blowgun to pressurize the cylinders and have 4 out of 6 blowing back through the intake valves, this head has an integral intake manifold so I can't see into the intake ports. I'll have the head off Monday and pull a couple of valves myself to see what I have going on.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Update on the no compression issue... Pulled a couple valves after getting the head off this morning and found they had been ground sort of eccentrically, apparently the valve grinder chuck or spindle has a problem. I'm getting new valves and a genuine Cat head gasket set for free and we get paid for my time tearing back down and reinstalling the head.

SAM1965

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
They must respect you and company. That is rare

Update on the no compression issue... Pulled a couple valves after getting the head off this morning and found they had been ground sort of eccentrically, apparently the valve grinder chuck or spindle has a problem. I'm getting new valves and a genuine Cat head gasket set for free and we get paid for my time tearing back down and reinstalling the head.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
They must respect you and company. That is rare
I've done business with them for 30 years both out of my shop and this job, they have always made it right if there was a mistake (very few). What happened here was the owner's wife died after they got my head in and there was possibly a lack of supervision in the shop for awhile. They did buy a new valve grinder.
They have done some jobs for me that most shops wouldn't do, like reboring and sleeving lower cylinder bores in a D10 Cat in the machine saving me untold hours tearing the engine out.

Dee

FALaholic #
Went to Home Depot today... picked up another set of toys in 12Volt , 99 bucks doesn't even buy the batteries. This is brush motor type stuff for home use. Runs smooth and quiet though. Fricken impulse buys.
View attachment 246910
These could be used as a pony motor for your big impacts at work...

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Few people know how to do a valve job anymore..and don't care what they put out for work product. I still do my own with Goodman/serdi stuff.

alphadog58

FALaholic #
Few people know how to do a valve job anymore..and don't care what they put out for work product. I still do my own with Goodman/serdi stuff.
I had to redo the valve seats in my boat engine three years ago. On a whim, I bought the $200 Hindu Harry (made in India) carbide valve seat cutter set. Twenty one cutters, 45°, 30°, 60°, buncha different diameter cutters, pilots for metric and SAE stems. Much to my surprise, the cutters actually worked well. Was able to do three angle valve seats easily. Engine is happy, I am happy...
Larry

Last edited:

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
Are those roller bearings or are they bushings? If roller, did those tiny pieces of metal screw anything else up?

It would be nice to get ahead of stuff.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Are those roller bearings or are they bushings? If roller, did those tiny pieces of metal screw anything else up?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Actually it's just a big bronze pin the roller runs on. The shavings ended up in the oil pan so I'll have to clean it out too. There's an oil drain back passage right under the rocker arm. Already have a new pan gasket. Changing the 90# camshaft in the truck sucks, radiator unit has to come out to do it.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Had a very good Monday, the shop is empty and I only have a couple of piddle projects this week. the farm is dead for the next two weeks and the road trucks are going to hibernate next week. Half days this week and end of the year vacation next week. :cool:

SAM1965

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Had a very good Monday, the shop is empty and I only have a couple of piddle projects this week. the farm is dead for the next two weeks and the road trucks are going to hibernate next week. Half days this week and end of the year vacation next week. :cool:
You've probably earned it. Enjoy and Merry Christmas!