• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Another Day at the office

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Started tearing this beast down last week for a full undercarriage rebuild. Lots of heavy parts and big fasteners, this stuff used to be fun... 20 years ago. Got the last rollers on today and hope to get the tracks back on Friday. I hope that's the last I see of it for awhile.
20211207_142851.jpg 20211210_130431.jpg

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Dont use harbor freight Jack stands.
Nope, for this job I built 4 custom stands from 8x8" square tube with a 3/8" wall welded to 16" squares of 5/8" plate for feet and welded a bunch of 2" angle iron diagonal braces between them after they were in position. We ran the front of the tracks up on blocks and lifted the rear with the ripper. It still took a bunch of 6x6 cribbing and two 50 ton air operated jacks to get the blocks out of the front.

John Crusher

FALaholic #
Are you putting on new pads or did you strip them off the old track ?
I've welded about a gazillion grouser bars on , and rebuilt more rollers and final drives than I ever wanted to do !
I am now downscaled and just do all the other stuff, small undercarriage (under D-5) and hyds. and engine work.
Heck , I've still got my Detroit tools , but always liked the 1710 .

Last edited:

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
What are the symptoms that trigger a rebuild?
Everything was completely worn out, the track pins had already been turned once to compensate for wear so it was time for new rails (track chains) if you put new rails on old rollers it destroys them in a hurry. I have some pics of the worn stuff, it's pretty ugly.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Are you putting on new pads or did you strip them off the old track ?
I've welded about a gazillion grouser bars on , and rebuilt more rollers and final drives than I ever wanted to do !
I am now downscaled and just do all the other stuff, small undercarriage (under D-5) and hyds. and engine work.
Heck , I've still got my Detroit tools , but always liked the 1710 .
Right now the tracks are in Spokane Wa. getting the pads transferred to the new rails. Trackman company is better equipped to change 84 pads with 4 bolts each torqued to 2,200 Lb Ft than I am. Pads had less than 16% grouser wear so they are going back on.
Detroits? I love 'em, have all kinds of tools too, still get to tune an occasional 2-stroker on a drill rig or scraper. 1710 Cummins? havent seen one of those for a long time but I'm up to my ass in 855 truck engines most of the time. We run 8 transport trucks with Cummins and Cats.