• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

All matching Gewehr 98

1feral1

RAEME Fitter-Armourer
Contributor
FALaholic #
Canuck/Australian 'import' live'n in Merrimack, NH
Bewdy of a rifle, lots of history there for sure. My Gew 98 is a Spandau 1904, captured by 5CMR (Canada), and brought home as a war trophy in 1919. It hanged in the local firehall 'til around 1990, when the hall was torn down. The rifle and a MG08/15 went to the town dump. Both were saved by a town employee. I traded a M-AG42-B for my Gew. The bolt does not match, but it shoots as it should. Sadly I had to have it import marked when I imported it down here.

Gazz

FALaholic #
Why don't you have the matching sn fp repaired? Once you put a non matching replacement in the rifle, it will most likely stay there while your matching fp gets tossed in a parts box and is forever separated from its rifle. It is not that difficult a repair and any competent gunsmith, welder or machinist should be able to do it.

gew98

FALaholic #
away from taxation without representation , Kentuc
Why don't you have the matching sn fp repaired? Once you put a non matching replacement in the rifle, it will most likely stay there while your matching fp gets tossed in a parts box and is forever separated from its rifle. It is not that difficult a repair and any competent gunsmith, welder or machinist should be able to do it.
It actually is hard to find a smithy that repairs a mauser firing pin properly. I had an ace in the hole for years with hans trachmann doing superb firing pin repairs. He welded them up and machined them perfectly. Yu could not tell they were ever broken or repaired. But he passed on awhile ago . Seen mostly amateurish repairs with the tip drilled out and a hard rod brazed in place. Functionable but crude. You find a good tig welder/machinist and you may have a winner to do a good repair.

Story

FALaholic #
A Mauser used in Mexico doesn't have to be marked as such.
That's why it's such a good bullshit story.
PS - the story of any gewehr98's in mexico for pancho..BS !. The logistics of getting 7,92 S patronen to mexico would have been greater than supplying same to irish rebels or the KS troops in Africa at the time. 7x57 caliber was king in mexico then.
Yeah, ain't it great? I wrote it. I really like it. It's the sort of delicious nonsense that works better than 95.7% of the tales I hear at any given gunshow.

FP1201

FALaholic #
Yeah, ain't it great? I wrote it. I really like it. It's the sort of delicious nonsense that works better than 95.7% of the tales I hear at any given gunshow.
There ARE "Mexican" Marked Mausers as I gave one to a close personal friend of Mexican linage.

Here's one I bought that you don't see every day;
Fair condition pre WWI German Haenel Model 1909 military pattern bolt action rifle in 7mm Mauser caliber. Rifle is NOT import marked and has nonmatching numbers. Made for sales to Central and South America, including Paraguay. Blue metal finish shows some wear to brown and gray patina, with a few spots of pitting. Bore is good with strong rifling and some pitting and is mostly bright. Stock has been sanded and refinished. Handguard has a crack. Stock has a few chips around the recoil lug. Missing the bolt head, and firing pin tip is broken. A hard to find gun in any condition.

Attachments:

Story

FALaholic #
Given the number of completely dumbass decisions the Kaiser's minions made during the war, the wrong caliber would pale in light of our War Department discovering wartime-made German-specific-caliber weaponry in the hands of bandits who'd just killed American citizens.

That said, I declare that CubaMauser's Villista Gew98 has 136% mojo and I'd offer all sorts of pocket lint and rolls of twine for it, should he ever wish to divest.

You had me rollin on that one !. I recall at one show a guy had a flak kannon optik stupidly and crudely mated to a 98k rear sight base...and smeared with mud for effect. I could not even talk to the guy with a straight face...it was so ridiculous...and so was the fake "indiana farmer" act he put on.
Ages ago (dawn of internet time), buddy (who is equally self-educated on firearms & history esoterica) and I went to a gun show.
Dude had TWO identically aged Spanish miquelet pistols on his table, but they were the late 19th century tourist crap.
Told us they were RARE 16th century 'chicken guns', used by Spanish dons to protect their flocks from nighttime predators.
$x,xxx price tag on each.
:rolleyes:
True story​