• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Alka-Seltzer

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #

I watched a tv show recently in which the mafia would dose race horses with Arm and Hammer soda bicarb and water...to quicken up the removal of lactic acid in the horses muscles, and get him to run faster.

After workouts at the Y, I am always sore and stiff..........Lactic Acid? Takes time for the liver to process it and restore glycogen balance..

So I took one alka-seltzer tablet, that has soda bicarb and some aspirin in each pill. A hour later I felt much less sore. I was previously always taking 2 aspirin, or a tylenol or Aleve.

I took another AK, the next day too.

The next trip to the Y, I was amazed at how much stronger I was, and I had more endurance ---- and reps increased a lot.

WTF?

Buildup of lactic acid is normal, but as you age the processing may slow down. this seems to help.

Your experience may be different, and accuracy and velocity may differ.

lew

FALaholic #
Might have to try it. I've been lifting heavy and am sore as shit, plus the kids make sure to beat whatever remains.😵

Sodium bicarbonate the best or should something else be added/substituted? Don't really need the citric acid in Alka-Seltzer. How much per 8 oz. of water?

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Hard to believe..................but yes...........Alka seltzer has done it for you..safe dose is 2 tabs...,.but one will help fatigued muscles...

When people hyperventilate, they must breathe into a paper bag, it to prevent hyper acidosis, from too rapid breathing, that upsets the acid base balance...

The NIH in both links, agrees that soda bicarb will help fatigued muscles get rid of lactic acid buildup that lingers.

Every LPN knows this and EMT........so does Alka Seltzer............. but I think you might drink beer without even an after thought.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
Hard to believe..................but yes...........Alka seltzer has done it for you..safe dose is 2 tabs...,.but one will help fatigued muscles...

When people hyperventilate, they must breathe into a paper bag, it to prevent hyper acidosis, from too rapid breathing, that upsets the acid base balance...

The NIH in both links, agrees that soda bicarb will help fatigued muscles get rid of lactic acid buildup that lingers.

Every LPN knows this and EMT........so does Alka Seltzer............. but I think you might drink beer without even an after thought.

Alkalosis when you hyperventilate, acidosis when hypoventilating. If you have low bicarbonate levels, you become acidotic because bicarb is a base and counteracts the effects of CO2 buildup. It will do the same for lactic acid as it does with carbonic acid.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
We always have Alka Seltzer on hand. Before all the issues of past couple years and finally hiring grass cut after cutting grass, especially if did back yard (shady and only needs it every second time cut front) when woke up with sore muscles would take one tablet in glass of water and helped. So are y'all popping one immediately after physical exertion prophylacticly or waiting till feel sore muscles? I always waited till after but when I was a gym rat had a blend of of multiple (Metabalol Endurance which tastes horrible mixed with everything not the chocolate flavor Metabalol II sold at Walmart) powdered supplements (had a pre workout and post workout blend) along with an electrolyte drink Wilderness X Electrolyte mix) and carbohydrate gell during workout.

Most days were high reps with low weight starting with 50 pullups to warm up, 50 pullups mid workout and 50 at end then one day a week a very low number of reps (1 to max of 3 lifts) with super heavy weights. I was banned from stair machines at three different gyms and after breaking two at home stuck to a Schwinn Aeordyne for cardio when weather or lack of time didn't allow enough time on the bicycle. Needed to build fast twitch and slow twitch muscles without "bulking up". Muscle weighs a lot so for rock climbing needed slow twitch power to do the occasional two finger full lift of body weight or massive overhang and endurance for the continuous movement of dragging my body up a cliff or frozen waterfall. 163/165 pounds at 9% body fat was winter ice weight, mid summer rock and "climbing competitions" stayed around 157/159 pounds at 7% body fat. Before a mountaineering trip would bulk up both muscle and fat to 175/178 and at least 13% body fat usually getting home looking like a death camp victim at 150 to 152 pounds and body fat so low my trainer couldn't measure. Below 5% to 6% and whether used calipers or laser could not get accurate read except to say go eat a bunch of double cheese burgers...

I had a potion for everything to hit goals, trainer in gym, climbing coach and cycling coach but now if just get yard work done without being overly sore am happy. I use rubber bands of different durometer for resistance training now. Top and bottom of every bedpost and most door knobs in master bedroom and bath have different bands to do the exercises my PT people want me to do to keep muscle tone and right now am limited to twenty minutes at slowest pace possible on Aerodyne and not use the handles for upper body, just pedals for some cardio. Monday went to Costco and decided I was going to push a buggy instead of riding a cart, yesterday spent entire day with ice on/off left knee for thirty minute intervals entire day. Back home from chemo and almost fell flat on face getting up from infusion chair when knee gave out and had my cane. Tomorrow my knee doc has me a rush slot in the 3T MRI at 10:00 and is working me in during lunch to juice me with a steroid injection after the MRI.

Live a hard life and growing old apparently the body pays for it. I have three doctors that only see professional athletes (use ATL Braves pitching staffs elbow ortho, ATL Hawks Shoulder ortho and my primary spine surgeon only sees Olympic and pro athletes from around the world) and usually their waiting rooms are filled with 45% old shot out athletes like me, 45% kids in middle school or high school with their fathers who are pep talking them if don't get fixed and rehabbed fast the scouts may give up on them and about 10% actual pro athletes still in "the game". It pisses me off to hear how some men talk to their kids about getting back healthy for baseball season when reason for their elbow injury was they wanted them throwing professional curve balls while in middle/high school. Throwing curve balls too early is why I quit baseball in 10th grade.