• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

A free shotgun is good…right?

MikeD718

FALaholic #
My boss has been dealing with the estate of his father-in-law after his passing at the end of last year. He came into the shop on Monday and told me that he had found a pair of guns under the bed. My boss is not a gun guy at all, so I told him to bring them in and we’ll take a look at them. He shows up with them today.
One is a 1956 production Winchester 62A in pretty damn good shape. I told him we can find a new home for it pretty easy.
The other is a New England Firearms Pardner SB1 single shot break barrel in 12ga. Unfortunately someone had the bright idea to cut the barrel. It was done rather crudely, at about a 20 degree angle with a hacksaw maybe? Looks like it took a few tries. I pulled a tape on the barrel…and it was 15-3/4” at the longest point….
When I told him what that meant he immediately didn’t want anything to do with it, so he gave it to me. I set off straight away to try and remedy the situation.
On my lunch break, I turned up a barrel extension, of sorts. Squared off the end of the barrel on the mill, pinned and welded the extension and gave it a dip in the park tank. Now the barrel measures 18”
A quick clean up with some oil and 0000 steel wool got it looking pretty ok. It’s definitely different, even for me, maybe I’ll pack it out with me when I go backpacking.
I don’t know anything about the New England Firearms shotguns, I am familiar with the H&R Topper, which looks exactly like this. I’m going to keep an eye on GB for an original barrel.
332E88C4-5BE3-4A1B-A659-B982966E7DE8.jpeg
5F4978E8-FCE1-4DDD-9F20-3C67A72A324F.jpeg

721F9948-C514-47AD-A065-E39309706247.jpeg
46DCD8C8-6876-4609-B9FB-D2BE961927B8.jpeg
5987E55E-6097-4B14-955F-F88D6F5858B1.jpeg

Last edited:

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Nice truck or keep by the door gun. Choot it with some buckshot and see how it patterns, That looks like it could be mean as hell on a small crowd stacking up at your door step.

FP1201

FALaholic #
Would it have been legal, to clean up the barrel, square it up, and bob the stock, making it a pistol????
NOPE!
You can make a Handgun into a rifle/shotgun, but you cannot make the inverse. that would be a Short Barreled Rifle/Shotgun requiring a Form 1
Turning an extension and welding it on is good-to-go.

stickp

Contributor
FALaholic #
Good luck finding a reasonably priced barrel. Those guns have gotten so high people are parting them out. These are my wife's favorite. 410, 20, and 30-30. I have a 32 gauge for shooting tranquilizer darts.
Nice work by the way!

LYCAN

FALaholic #
Good luck finding a reasonably priced barrel. Those guns have gotten so high people are parting them out.
Crazy isn't it. Especially since they used to be widely available for decades @ $100 a pop at any & all Walmart's, etc

Like they say, 'You don't know what you got - til' its gone'

I still have my 12 & 20

Hindsight, sure as shit wish I bought a whole lot more!

Btw @ OP - NEF & H&R were one in the same for a spell. They are 100% identical, because they are pretty much the same gun, literally - not figuratively.

MikeD718

FALaholic #
Btw @ OP - NEF & H&R were one in the same for a spell. They are 100% identical, because they are pretty much the same gun, literally - not figuratively.
Thanks, I figured as much, a co-worker has a 20ga H&R Topper 158 that he got for free last year.
A family friend was rabbit hunting with it, he tripped and fell in the morning. Saw a rabbit later and took a shot. Forgot to check the business end of the barrel after he fell. Barrel ended up looking like a banana peel. He gave it to my co-worker and told him if he could fix it he could have it. Had to cut it back to 19” to get behind the cracks.