• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

_F_ bass pro and cabelas

F86

FALaholic #
The last firearm I bought from Cowbella’s
was around 2019 when they used to have some pretty nice useds guns.
Covid wrecked that all to hell.

Every time I’ve been since,it’s been very
disappointing to say the least.

Went to Bass Pro couple of weeks ago and the best thing in the entire store was the aquarium and one big ol’ catfish 😊

Kinda done with both stores myself

CTW

Contributor
FALaholic #
I remember one time years ago I saved a wad of cash up just to buy a new gun. Anyway, I decided I wanted one of those new gigantic tactical FN made 45 ACP pistols. I did research in the best price I could find around me was Bass Pro shop. I drove my happy ass over to the closest one to me which was Orlando Florida. So I asked the guy if I could check out the pistol because I was interested in buying it. He removes it from the case, and hand it to me. So I asked him if he could take the trigger lock off so I could see how the trigger felt. He told that they could not because of a store policy. I ended up handing them the gun back and walking out. Did they think I was gonna drop 700+ dollars on a new pistol without seeing how the trigger felt or function correctly. What the fuck

F86

FALaholic #
I remember one time years ago I saved a wad of cash up just to buy a new gun. Anyway, I decided I wanted one of those new gigantic tactical FN made 45 ACP pistols. I did research in the best price I could find around me was Bass Pro shop. I drove my happy ass over to the closest one to me which was Orlando Florida. So I asked the guy if I could check out the pistol because I was interested in buying it. He removes it from the case, and hand it to me. So I asked him if he could take the trigger lock off so I could see how the trigger felt. He told that they could not because of a store policy. I ended up handing them the gun back and walking out. Did they think I was gonna drop 700+ dollars on a new pistol without seeing how the trigger felt or function correctly. What the fuck
On a slight variation on walking out of a store:

A LGS had a rather nice Fal for sale and I went by to take a look.Had $$$ in my pocket ready to buy.

Guy came back and said no working the action,taking hand guards off to check for maker ID yadda yadda.
Told him Thanks and walked the hell out.

One would think that if a customer is prepared to spend over a grand,there would be allowances to be able to have a minimally invasive product check.

Haven’t been back since.Buncha dickheads!

Apologies OP, for the brief thread take over

Potshot

FALaholic #
Apology accepted. I'm alse eagerly awaiting one from Mike. Tac, are u saying my pastel attire and triple mochalottacafespresso, is some kinda fing problem?! Mmmm???

Strange coincidence, some kinda strange-mange tourettes coy-dog was in there trying to buy another 1911...

Tuhlmann

Owner of the Boner
Contributor
FALaholic #
I don’t even know what they sell anymore. I just know that everytime I check in to see if I can burn some points on something, they don’t have it and/or don’t offer it. I used to be their target demographic, but now it appears to be the People of Wal-Mart, just at Cabelas. Sad.

LP1075

Contributor
FALaholic #

CTW

Contributor
FALaholic #
The only plausible reason I go to Bass Pro shops any more is to look for reloading supplies. And most of the time that's not worth looking. I do have a Sportsmans warehouse store close to me now and would much rather go there. They always have bullets in stock and sometimes powder. I even bought a couple of rifles from them.

Randall

FALaholic #
I once swore by Cabela's gear. I've had a Cabela's credit card for over 30 years. I can remember when the name was synonymous with quality. However over the years I've seen good named brands being dropped in favor of cheap Chicom crap brands. The came the BPS purchase which was the final nail.

AliYahu

FALaholic #

Bass Pro purchased Cabelas and pulled out of Sidney, Nebraska costing the town 2000 jobs. That's corporate thinking there....
I once swore by Cabela's gear. I've had a Cabela's credit card for over 30 years. I can remember when the name was synonymous with quality. However over the years I've seen good named brands being dropped in favor of cheap Chicom crap brands. The came the BPS purchase which was the final nail.
There's actually a documentary about this, Cabela's Visa - World's Foremost Bank, a Cabela's subsidiary - made the company too valuable to an investment firm that bought them and bankrupted them a la Cerberus and Remington/Marlin et al.

Eli

Last edited:

wanneroo

FALaholic #
Part of it might have been estate issues. At least one of the brothers had died off by then and sometimes the heirs just want the money to do what they want with their life and not have to manage grandpas old business.

Tuhlmann

Owner of the Boner
Contributor
FALaholic #
There's actually a documentary about this, Cabela's Visa - World's Foremost Bank, a Cabela's subsidiary - made the company woo valuable to an investment firm that bought them and bankrupted them a la Cerberus and Remington/Marlin et al.

Eli
Can you please share a link to that documentary? I’d like to watch that.

Story

FALaholic #
Back in 2010, went into the KC Cabela's and found a misgendered Browning A-5 (16 gauge, listed and sold to me as a 12 gauge).
Had the severely underpriced weapon shipped on their dime to the Cabela's nearest me, retrieved and toddled off to the range.

Now I just collect pics of those "No Guns" signs on their doors.
🍿 :whistle:

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Thank goodness you can bring your emotional support dog to the store though. Actually they say “pet” but, who is going to bring their pet iguana? Or, a pussycat on a leash?
Scheels open the store here in Wichita recently and made a big to do about it. Their television commercial showed all kinds of Joe suburbanites and, Susie homemaker’s looking at golf clubs, baseball bats and gloves along with dog vests.
I don’t do chain sporting goods. It’s almost like it being an image of what “sporting” is supposed to be.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
If i ever go to a Bass Pro or Cabelas, it will be to see the Awesome Aquariums they have. And Game/Taxidermy Displays.

Maybe buy some Jerky.

👍
The original one in Springfield is worth a visit. I even bought a nice shirt there back in college in the '90s while doing a field study for an ecology and wildlife biology class on a little weekend field trip with the class. IIRC, they had a nice restaurant too, but no broke college kid was going to eat there.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
There's actually a documentary about this, Cabela's Visa - World's Foremost Bank, a Cabela's subsidiary - made the company too valuable to an investment firm that bought them and bankrupted them a la Cerberus and Remington/Marlin et al.

Eli
I heard that one of the factors contributing to the decline of Cabela's was their real estate holdings. They build those massive cathedrals to the outdoors lifestyle like locations and fill them with stuff; then the economy slowed down and they began to lose money. Or so I read somewhere Yeats ago.

I've been to the Cabela's in Allen, TX and the Bass Pro on I-30 in Garland. Went to both looking for reloading stuff. Actually ended up making purchases at Scheels in The Colony.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Bought many of their heavy canvas safari type shirts and stuff years ago, before the prices became stupid. Otherwise, outside of maybe bring the grandkids to check it out and picking up some small fishing stuff, I've had little use for them since they became bass pro.

Hebrew Battle Rifle

Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I used to go to a Cabela's in Louisiana, just south of LaFayette (IIRC) and browse through the used gun "library." They had a pristine Stainless Colt Government Model with a roll mark that I wanted. They were asking stoopid money for it and would not negotiate the price. I stopped in every week for over a year and that pistol was always there. What business sense does it make to keep retail inventory that long? If you know, please enlighten me.
I never bought it and my job duties changed so I stopped going in there. I remember buying some gun cleaning gear there, but that was about it.
I stopped into Bass Pro in Pearl Miss every time I could. They had excellent chili and cornbread muffins. I sat at the counter and watched the fish play while I ate. I never bought anything there other than the chili and muffins.

There is a Bass Pro in Little Rock. It was supposed to be built in my city right on I 40, but the "city fathers" f*&ked that up so it was built in Little Rock off of I 30. I have been there once. I am clearly not their intended customer, so I never went back.
There is a local burger chain across the freeway that makes top notch burgers and fries though. If you are ever in central Arkansas and see a sign for David's Burgers, give them a try.

Last edited:

FAL4888

Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a Bass pro shop just down the street from my house. The p-lot is handy for armslist and local gun forum trades. That is it. Otherwise fudd central.