• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

9 times fired brass

Eeben

FALaholic #
I have a batch of PMC .308 brass that has been fired 9 times out of my FAL and is now on it's 10th loading. I'm really impressed with it. I have trimmed a few cases, no annealing. The headstamp has faded significantly. There are numerous small dings from the brass kiss. No case separations yet. I have had Federal and Remington cases separate anywhere from factory new to 6th reloading.

How many firings do you have out of a certain brass?

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
You can get a shit-ton of firings from some brass.

Then it separates.

Really just a matter of how big an inconvenience its gonna be for you when it does separate.

If you keep loads mild, you can get more firings than if you load hot. I tend to load my 7.62 mild, but I run my 5.56 as hot as the primers will let me.

My ammo budget allows me to fire cases three times, then recycle. I don't have too many problems with cases separating through three firings.

Eeben

FALaholic #
Yeah my loads are mild. If I was going through all the work to process Lake City and then only get one or two firings I'd switch to anything I could find.

Earlofsquirrel

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I’m on #4 with this stuff, which I believe is also PMC (S. Korean surplus). 6 is the most I’ve got, used to get a lot less before I realized I was sizing the cases more than needed. Now the rim gets mangled before there’s any separation. ED70745F-9BDD-4202-AA59-280B4B9A5007.jpeg

kotengu

FALaholic #
Yeah my loads are mild. If I was going through all the work to process Lake City and then only get one or two firings I'd switch to anything I could find.
I am loading pretty hot. But yeah - it's frustrating, to say the least. I used to get 4 firings out of LC, then bought a $hitload of it, worked it all through, and now am only getting two.

Of course!

Right Side Up

FALaholic #
Nine firings is awesome. I always started getting a few separations at #5, and that was with only sizing the shoulder back enough to get .004" headspace.

Slaughter

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm just starting to count reloads in 223. I anneal each time - because why not. Too early to tell but I'll note which headstamps start to fail first and HOW they fail. A little science project to keep me from getting bored.

Smellycat

FALaholic #
I think the quality of the barrel comes into play too. Crud barrels with overly lose chambers are going to swell the brass more. My Izzy FAL trashes my brass. Looks OK when I pick it up but running it through a full length resizing die tells me it is getting hammered. Comes out of the press with the ring around the base. They are also hard in the press, require excessive lube, and even after multiple presses about 20% of the cases won't resize back down to pass the plunk test in a size checker.

I resize a lot of brass out of tight chambered sniper rifles and that stuff resizes like a dream. 100% success in the resizing die. My FAL is the only gun I own that destroys the brass like this.

kotengu

FALaholic #
I'm just starting to count reloads in 223. I anneal each time - because why not. Too early to tell but I'll note which headstamps start to fail first and HOW they fail. A little science project to keep me from getting bored.
From what I understand, 223 is a totally different animal. Everything I've seen says primer pockets will get loose and primers will start to fall out before you get case head separations.

Definitely let us know if you find differently though!

Slaughter

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
I will.

I just don't blow through 308 at the rate I do 223.

My 6.5PRC isn't shot often enough but I am tracking that and logging each case. Much more anal retentive with long range rifle.

Slaughter

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
I will.

I just don't blow through 308 at the rate I do 223.

My 6.5PRC isn't shot often enough but I am tracking that and logging each case. Much more anal retentive with long range rifle.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have brass with well over a dozen firings in fluted chambers and get more in all but chart topping bolt rifle loads. Wife is probably one of the best people on the planet at inspecting cases after a lifetime in the dental industry. Until she feels an anomoly near case head with her scalers I keep running them and not had a case head separation since she took on case inspection duty. Generally she will toss out two to five out of every hundred cases. On occasion it will be more if get into a batch of older cases that lingered in the range ammo locker that have a lot of loadings.

Use Lake City, PMC and IMI almost exclusively for MBRs then upper tier commercial brass with turn bolts. Believe major reason we have so few pieces retired is due to large inventory. Before Obama changed rules on how military disposed of brass whenever the Ranger Camp (F.D. Merrell) would bring barrels of brass to local scrap yard they called as I would pay a few cents per pound more than their truckload/railcar vendors did. Would buy 55 gallon drums, separate out all the 7.62 and 5.56 brass plus live blanks and links. All fired blanks or brass that was obviously mangled went back in drum till filled and sold them back what I couldn't use.

After doing this for a couple decades and meticulously prepping my brass as time permitted, adding more when gifted or find cheap and fire new Lake City, PMC or IMI. Generally load 5.56 in 5,500 case batches because the Hornady 62 grain FMJBT come in 5,500 count boxes. On occasion will load 11,000 rounds in a batch but about to swap from Hornady 62 grain FMJBT to RMR 69 grain HPBT based on W.E.G.s review and just got a 3,000 count shipment to copy his load data for testing. Save nothing buying in 6,000 count and only 0.2 cents per bullet if jump to 12,000 count so till I test and confirm they are worth the price difference of Hornady's not digging that deep of a hole in the wallet.

Generally load 7.62×51 in 2,000, 4,000 or higher quantities as get best break buying four 500 count bags for 2,000 count quantity based on vendor. Had a shipment come to my P.O. Box years ago and a box broke along with one bag spewing 500 bullets into sorting machine. When I counted had 503 bullets they swept up out of floor and dug out of machine in a big USPS plastic bag. Now all heavy boxes to my P.O. Box skip the sorting machine and are left at rear door for me to pick up. I bet that shut them down half a day picking 500 bullets out of the line. But having enough brass to do large runs means it takes a long time for cases to see multiple cycles.

We have one bucket wife throws all the feels o.k. but looks like it's near it's end in each cartridge as she sorts wearing a pair of 3x or 5x prescription loops. When she fills a five gallon bucket with "likely last loading" will run in separate batch to use places or events not able to pick up your brass. Almost always load 45 acp in 10,000 count runs but most recent was only 5,000 because only wanted to burn one case of primers. Have some 45 acp brass in circulation with headstamps going back to 1950s, not uncommon to see 1960s and fair number of 1970/1980s in every cycle still. Currently have over 25,000 cases prepped to run but having to be careful not to overload and run short of powder or primers may need in another cartridge before prices and inventories stabilize.

Rifle brass gets tumbled, rough sized/deprimed, primer pockets cut to depth/diameter, flash holes deburred, trimmed to length, cleaned in ultrasonic, run on a Dillon 550 B with carbide die and then a quick tumble and wipe down with cotton cloth as run through chamber checker to ensure no case lube is left. All of my chambers are in spec, including FAL and L1/L2s.

Did chamber casts of every barrel that comes in the door and use the best. If have to buy a barrel mismatched to kit to get a better chamber. Believe using brass with no lube left in dry chambers that meet spec adds lots of life to brass. One of the L2a1s I purchased had a sloppy chamber so replaced it with one of the Sarco L2 replacement barrels purchased when they first got them in and asked for hand selected barrels which they sent nice ones. Majority of 7.62 is fired from AR 10s with very nice chambers or M1a/M14s that have fine barrels such as my Basics, Standards, Loaded, National Match, Super Match or suppressed SOCOM. Bought four Basics at a deal when Clinton ban was announced but not yet passed so gives me a pile to not wear any single chamber out. Swapping barrels in AR 10s is so easy often buy spares when build one so have exact drop in replacement if ever need.

Brass gets a ride through annealing machine every three loadings along with trimming. Every cycle each case is sized twice which seems counter intuitive to longevity but first sizing is just enough to bump shoulder and knock out primer then gets final mashing in the Dillon carbide die unless loading on single stage press for the match quality rifles which use the newish Lyman Precision 3 die set. All my rifle ammo gets taper crimp or no crimp which believe helps it's longevity as well. Have cases where primer pockets have gotten a bit loose but wife doesn't fail case heads and use Super Glue just in case. Main thing is keeping enough ammo that what's loaded this month may take two or three years or more before it's turn to go down the spout. Unless it's a new cartridge if I don't have ten year supply loaded plus another ten years components get worried.

Have some cartridges that two or three loadings and it's done but overbore turn bolt cartridges are that way. Am not expecting huge case life from 22 Nosler but have some that has four loadings and believe it will see at least six as not had a single case fail inspection yet. Same with 6.8 lucked out and scored 40,000 primed cases by time had six built and have added more cases plus bought over 10,000 rounds of XM68GD while cheap and plentiful so none has seen more than two loadings yet. Because 458 SOCOM cases sell out fast as someone seems to offer that is going to be one am concerned about especially using to push 500 and 550 grain bullets.

Eeben

FALaholic #
I have brass with well over a dozen firings in fluted chambers and get more in all but chart topping bolt rifle loads. Wife is probably one of the best people on the planet at inspecting cases after a lifetime in the dental industry. Until she feels an anomoly near case head with her scalers I keep running them and not had a case head separation since she took on case inspection duty. Generally she will toss out two to five out of every hundred cases. On occasion it will be more if get into a batch of older cases that lingered in the range ammo locker that have a lot of loadings.

Use Lake City, PMC and IMI almost exclusively for MBRs then upper tier commercial brass with turn bolts. Believe major reason we have so few pieces retired is due to large inventory. Before Obama changed rules on how military disposed of brass whenever the Ranger Camp (F.D. Merrell) would bring barrels of brass to local scrap yard they called as I would pay a few cents per pound more than their truckload/railcar vendors did. Would buy 55 gallon drums, separate out all the 7.62 and 5.56 brass plus live blanks and links. All fired blanks or brass that was obviously mangled went back in drum till filled and sold them back what I couldn't use.

After doing this for a couple decades and meticulously prepping my brass as time permitted, adding more when gifted or find cheap and fire new Lake City, PMC or IMI. Generally load 5.56 in 5,500 case batches because the Hornady 62 grain FMJBT come in 5,500 count boxes. On occasion will load 11,000 rounds in a batch but about to swap from Hornady 62 grain FMJBT to RMR 69 grain HPBT based on W.E.G.s review and just got a 3,000 count shipment to copy his load data for testing. Save nothing buying in 6,000 count and only 0.2 cents per bullet if jump to 12,000 count so till I test and confirm they are worth the price difference of Hornady's not digging that deep of a hole in the wallet.

Generally load 7.62×51 in 2,000, 4,000 or higher quantities as get best break buying four 500 count bags for 2,000 count quantity based on vendor. Had a shipment come to my P.O. Box years ago and a box broke along with one bag spewing 500 bullets into sorting machine. When I counted had 503 bullets they swept up out of floor and dug out of machine in a big USPS plastic bag. Now all heavy boxes to my P.O. Box skip the sorting machine and are left at rear door for me to pick up. I bet that shut them down half a day picking 500 bullets out of the line. But having enough brass to do large runs means it takes a long time for cases to see multiple cycles.

We have one bucket wife throws all the feels o.k. but looks like it's near it's end in each cartridge as she sorts wearing a pair of 3x or 5x prescription loops. When she fills a five gallon bucket with "likely last loading" will run in separate batch to use places or events not able to pick up your brass. Almost always load 45 acp in 10,000 count runs but most recent was only 5,000 because only wanted to burn one case of primers. Have some 45 acp brass in circulation with headstamps going back to 1950s, not uncommon to see 1960s and fair number of 1970/1980s in every cycle still. Currently have over 25,000 cases prepped to run but having to be careful not to overload and run short of powder or primers may need in another cartridge before prices and inventories stabilize.

Rifle brass gets tumbled, rough sized/deprimed, primer pockets cut to depth/diameter, flash holes deburred, trimmed to length, cleaned in ultrasonic, run on a Dillon 550 B with carbide die and then a quick tumble and wipe down with cotton cloth as run through chamber checker to ensure no case lube is left. All of my chambers are in spec, including FAL and L1/L2s.

Did chamber casts of every barrel that comes in the door and use the best. If have to buy a barrel mismatched to kit to get a better chamber. Believe using brass with no lube left in dry chambers that meet spec adds lots of life to brass. One of the L2a1s I purchased had a sloppy chamber so replaced it with one of the Sarco L2 replacement barrels purchased when they first got them in and asked for hand selected barrels which they sent nice ones. Majority of 7.62 is fired from AR 10s with very nice chambers or M1a/M14s that have fine barrels such as my Basics, Standards, Loaded, National Match, Super Match or suppressed SOCOM. Bought four Basics at a deal when Clinton ban was announced but not yet passed so gives me a pile to not wear any single chamber out. Swapping barrels in AR 10s is so easy often buy spares when build one so have exact drop in replacement if ever need.

Brass gets a ride through annealing machine every three loadings along with trimming. Every cycle each case is sized twice which seems counter intuitive to longevity but first sizing is just enough to bump shoulder and knock out primer then gets final mashing in the Dillon carbide die unless loading on single stage press for the match quality rifles which use the newish Lyman Precision 3 die set. All my rifle ammo gets taper crimp or no crimp which believe helps it's longevity as well. Have cases where primer pockets have gotten a bit loose but wife doesn't fail case heads and use Super Glue just in case. Main thing is keeping enough ammo that what's loaded this month may take two or three years or more before it's turn to go down the spout. Unless it's a new cartridge if I don't have ten year supply loaded plus another ten years components get worried.

Have some cartridges that two or three loadings and it's done but overbore turn bolt cartridges are that way. Am not expecting huge case life from 22 Nosler but have some that has four loadings and believe it will see at least six as not had a single case fail inspection yet. Same with 6.8 lucked out and scored 40,000 primed cases by time had six built and have added more cases plus bought over 10,000 rounds of XM68GD while cheap and plentiful so none has seen more than two loadings yet. Because 458 SOCOM cases sell out fast as someone seems to offer that is going to be one am concerned about especially using to push 500 and 550 grain bullets.
When is the estate sale again?