• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

8mm Turk Mauser load 150g

mj2evans

FALaholic #
I have been working up an accuracy load for my M38 Turkish Mauser and thought this might help others. A Hornday 150g spire point over 52.5 grains H4350, Remington case, CCI large rifle primer. Brass is neck sized and seated with Lee dies (cheap but seem ok but I busted the collet neck sizer and am using the standard die to neck size). Bullet is seated to cannuler, no crimp. I get 5 shots into 1.5" at 100yds if I do my part. I did glass bed the recoil shoulder and the rifle has a timmeny trigger but I still think this is very good. Going to just 52.8g opened up the groups and increased recoil but no pressure signs.

Also working on a 180g load with Remington bullets (low price and seem ok). So far groups are not as tight and load data is a little thin for this weight but I am still trying. Thinking is the 180 load should do well on pigs. Goal for both the 150 and 180 loads is good accuracy without going to match grade bullets (again...CHEAP).

As always, start low and work up - each rifle is different and this laod may not be safe in YOUR rifle.

Last edited:

richbug

FALaholic #
Try using Varget with the Remington 185's. With 47.5 grains I get 1" groups.

The rifle is a 1903 turk that I cut to 24", glass bedded, stock trigger.

I get 2" groups with 220 grain sierras SPBT, 51.5 grs or Acc 3100.

mj2evans

FALaholic #
Oh its the collet neck sizer.....I screwed up when my RCBS cammed over and stripped the threads in the top of the die (too much pressure but I was not getting adequate neck tension, I should have lightly sanded the mandrel - live and learn).

I have thought about trying Varget as I plan to see how it works in 223. Trying to stick to just 4895 and 4350 (well, 4064 too) for rifles but guess I can try a pound.