• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

7.62x51 by a Progressive Press?

Gazz

FALaholic #
I have a fair amount of cases and bullets and figure they would be more useful if put together with some powder and primers. In the past, bottle neck cartridge were always reloaded on a single stage press because of the steps required for such cartridges, trimming cases, neck chamfers and case lubrication. I have a Dillon 550 that I've used for handgun rounds but the above mentioned steps are not required for these. How do folks deal with the extra steps for bottleneck cartridge when using progressive presses? At the present, I imagine sizing and depriming as one step, then trimming to length and chamfering, then lubing and then on to the Dillon. Is there a better faster way?

Hebrew Battle Rifle

Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have two die heads for each of my bottle neck calibers. One head has the sizing/depriming die and the other has the rest. I size and deprime all of the brass. I then finish processing. Once processed, I exchange the die heads and reload the processed brass as usual.
I have a single stage press, but it is set up to deprime Berdan cases.

Gazz

FALaholic #
Okay, that is something like what I was thinking. I do have two single stage presses as well so I can resize deprime in one of those and then process. I didn't think there would be an easy way but had to ask. I'm also just a wee bit disappointed as the box that held what I thought was 7.62x51 brass turns out to be 30-06. It's not a bad thing I guess.

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
The problem with sizing and decapping on the 550 for the bottleneck stuff is all the snatching and such that goes on. If you need to double pump in the sizer then you have just wadded everything up. I primarily just dump powder and seat the bullets on mine and sometimes a tapered crimp stage added. Still beats hand loading the powder under a measure.

John Crusher

FALaholic #
The problem with sizing and decapping on the 550 for the bottleneck stuff is all the snatching and such that goes on. If you need to double pump in the sizer then you have just wadded everything up. I primarily just dump powder and seat the bullets on mine and sometimes a tapered crimp stage added. Still beats hand loading the powder under a measure.
That's the way I've always done it with bottleneck stuff. I use a rockchucker to size/deprime and a rcbs trim pro.
Processed a couple of pieces this past Winter!

4x401

Keeping it cooler...;)
Silver Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I was never happy with the inconsistency of sizing and priming 7.62 & 5.56 on my 550.

All my rifle brass is COMPLETELY prepped before loading.

That is;

Initial tumbling in a Dillon FL-2000.

Decaped (using a universal decap die in a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker.)

Resized/trimmed (I have the Dillon RT1200 mounted on a Redding Ultramag single stage press.)

Another tumble to remove lube.

Swaged (if needed.)

Primer pocket cleaned and reamed to consistent depth. Flash hole deburred and uniformed.

Reprimed using an RCBS bench mounted primer. (The bonus here is that Dillon primer tubes that I already have an abundance of work in this RCBS tool.)
I discovered a couple years after acquiring my 550B in '90 that I didn't like using it to prime rifle brass.

I have several thousand rifle cases prepped and stored.
I run them through my 550B to add powder, seat the bullet, and crimp (if desired.)

I run all my pistol ammo straight through the 550.

badzero

FALaholic #
Just found a Lee new Lee product, and just got it set up. Simple cheap,and kinda cheesy and in all honesty I have only run about 20 cases through it. But after getting it set up, swagiing is way in the fuck faster than than the Dillon tool which is the only reason I got it. I should have probably got the conversion kit for the 1050 but my son does most of the case prep for me and this lets us handle the cases more before they get loaded.

For swaging cases you’ll need,

and this to do both large and small primers

these options are nice but not necessary.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I was never very happy with swedging pockets, but my experience is limited to the rcbs set for use in the rockchucker. I much prefer using the cutter type crimp remover in a battery drill, which I also then repeat for flash hole deburring.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I've loaded several thousand rifle rounds on a four station Lee auto-index press. It's as fast as you can work the handle. My biggest bottle neck is weighing the powder charge.

badzero

FALaholic #
As to the OP’s original question, the quickest way is Weg’s way, https://www.theamericanmarksman.com/7.62x51-primed-cases-1000-ct.html

and sell your used brass in the MP, The next quickest would be to invest in a Dillon 1050 and power trimmer, but you’ll still have to run the brass through once for prep and then change it over for loading and run it though again to load. Roughly a 3k investment, depending on what your time is worth and how much you enjoy reloading. I’m not going to don't the math, it will make me rethink my process.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I've loaded several thousand rifle rounds on a four station Lee auto-index press. It's as fast as you can work the handle. My biggest bottle neck is weighing the powder charge.
I loaded just a ton of pistol rounds on one of their first auto indexers, though keeping it running sure wesent for the mechanically inept,, and sometimes involved parts being flung across the shop towards the dumpster. I think I even recall something of a little happy dance when I finally had enough of fighting it and tossed it in the scrap bin...lol
Though the rcbs auto 5 station that replaced it can take longer and be more difficult to set up and change calibers, theirs no comparison at all in quality or efficiency..

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I loaded just a ton of pistol rounds on one of their first auto indexers, though keeping it running sure wesent for the mechanically inept,, and sometimes involved parts being flung across the shop towards the dumpster. I think I even recall something of a little happy dance when I finally had enough of fighting it and tossed it in the scrap bin...lol
Though the rcbs auto 5 station that replaced it can take longer and be more difficult to set up and change calibers, theirs no comparison at all in quality or efficiency..
Sidebar to the OP but Lee's stuff is surely no-frills. I can't speak to their auto loaders but the turret press is a pretty durable, low-tech device. Has very few moving parts and not much to break. We decap in a Rockchucker and hand prime with a RCBS hand primer so all I'm doing is sizing, charging, seating, and crimping. At that, the turret press works perfectly.

Lee hit a real homerun with their factory crimp die but that's a different thread entirely.

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I love using my MEC progressive, for shotshells.

308 on progressives, really requires new brass or completely processed brass, checked for proper sizing in a 308 RCBS precision mike, zeroed with the "go"HS gage.

FRAM

gordo63

FALaholic #
Back when I shot highpower with the M1A, I used the 550 for powder charging and bullet seating only. With IMR-4895, powder throws were very consistent. The Rockchucker was used for sizing/decapping. Priming was done with Lee hand priming tool. Trimming/chaffering was done with the Lee tools with shell holder that chucked into a hand drill.