• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

44 special and 45 Colt

Colts4me

BANNED
BANNED
FALaholic #
Starline came up with 45 Colt brass so I bought some to try new loads. My usual load is a 250 gr Keith style bullet with 8.5 of unique. The new brass is a pleasure with lead bullets as you don't have to resize the brass.

Did have to resize for jacketed 200 gr flying ashtrays by Spear. Also loaded some cowboy loads with 200 gr lead.

44 special brass showed up and I loaded them all the same, 240 gr Keith with 6.9 of unique which is a factory dup load.

Unique powder has been hard to find so I was really happy to buy a pound yesterday from the LGS. $44 is a lot to pay but it will keep me busy.

VALMET

M62/76
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Used to load .44 Spl a lot as it is an old favorite of mine out of a 6.5” Model 24. Still have a ton of brass and components but haven’t loaded any in awhile. Need to check my stash and crank some more out but you’ve got me worrying about my powder supply.

Colts4me

BANNED
BANNED
FALaholic #
Used to load .44 Spl a lot as it is an old favorite of mine out of a 6.5” Model 24. Still have a ton of brass and components but haven’t loaded any in awhile. Need to check my stash and crank some more out but you’ve got me worrying about my powder supply.
Unique has been difficult to find, only reason I found 1 pound was I asked when the next shipment of Alliant powders was due. Clerk said he had some in the back that hand not been put on the shelf yet so I bought the only pound of Unique I could find.

In 44special I have loaded 231 and if I run out of Unique I will (HP38). A lot of 231 out there and cheaper but Unique is my 45 colt powder.

Aeroscout

Contributor
FALaholic #
255 SWC over 9.0 Grains Unique. My goto 45 Colt load. Shoots like a laser out of my 7.5 inch Custer SSA replica.

I can't seem to get lead bullets to shoot worth a hoot out of my 16 inch barrel Rossi 92 lever carbines. Was hoping my above goto would work well in both. So far, no bueno.

Colts4me

BANNED
BANNED
FALaholic #
Saw some nickle plated 45 colt brass for sale and was thinking that I could use them for hot loads just to know they are hot.

I never shoot hot loads in my handguns but thinking I could load some hotter loads for my rifle and being nickle plated I would know they were loaded for rifle. :unsure: They would be easier to find when ejected out too.

TerryN

FALaholic #
Jealous am I!

Powder Valley has been advertising Alliant powders recently, but.... no Unique, and the other Alliant powders are expensive, even in today's market. HS-6 works well in .45 Colt, Ramshot Enforcer does, too. Accurate No. 5 and Ramshot Shilouette are two more than will do the job for standard pressure loads.

spider991

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
255 SWC over 9.0 Grains Unique. My goto 45 Colt load. Shoots like a laser out of my 7.5 inch Custer SSA replica.

I can't seem to get lead bullets to shoot worth a hoot out of my 16 inch barrel Rossi 92 lever carbines. Was hoping my above goto would work well in both. So far, no bueno.
Slug the barrel and then check the diameter of the lead bullets you are using

bubbagump

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Unique has been difficult to find, only reason I found 1 pound was I asked when the next shipment of Alliant powders was due. Clerk said he had some in the back that hand not been put on the shelf yet so I bought the only pound of Unique I could find.

In 44special I have loaded 231 and if I run out of Unique I will (HP38). A lot of 231 out there and cheaper but Unique is my 45 colt powder.
Unique is a good choice for this cartridge in my experience, I settled on Green Dot for what it's worth. Both are a bit scarce right now, IIRC I used to use 6.5 gr Green Dot under a 250 cast bullet but don't quote me on that. All my handloads in .45LC are light cowboy-class loads.

hardass

FALaholic #
Many years back when there was a shortage of Unique, I started useing Herco which for some reason plentiful. I haven't used much of anything else since then. Any where you use Unique you can substitute Herco and basically get the same results. Most manuals call for 1/2 grain more , but real world results are barely measurable.

TerryN

FALaholic #
I used to load H110 for my 44. Dad had a H110 load for his 45 Colt. I liked H110 because it's impossible to double charge the case on accident and it metered well.

It also made one hell of a flash!
I tried one of John Linebaugh's .45 Colt loads in my full-size Blackhawk - somewhere around 23 grains of H110 and a nominal 260 grain bullet. Boy howdy! Those will wake you up right now! They also killed my paper target DRT, but that was pretty much a given.

John Linebaugh The 45 Colt - Dispelling the Myth

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I tried one of John Linebaugh's .45 Colt loads in my full-size Blackhawk - somewhere around 23 grains of H110 and a nominal 260 grain bullet. Boy howdy! Those will wake you up right now! They also killed my paper target DRT, but that was pretty much a given.

John Linebaugh The 45 Colt - Dispelling the Myth
Yeah, Dad has a 454 load pushing a 275grn bullet with H110. Shot under an awning at the range, the concussion will knock all the dirt dauber nests down and the flash will blind you. It's too much handgun IMHO.

TerryN

FALaholic #
Yeah, Dad has a 454 load pushing a 275grn bullet with H110. Shot under an awning at the range, the concussion will knock all the dirt dauber nests down and the flash will blind you. It's too much handgun IMHO.
Yeah, the .454 is pretty intense, and really doesn't do much for me. I have a .480 Ruger, which will kill anything that a 454 will and then some. The difference is that it is much more pleasant to shoot - much less blast and recoil, even though you're launching a larger diameter, heavier bullet.

bubbagump

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Not a powder snob by any means but I really dislike H110. I went through a couple pounds of that stuff back in the day trying to make it work in a .44 mag. Nothing but flash, bang, flat primers and recoil. Elmer had it right, Alliant 2300 is superior in every way to that stufff.