• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

3D Printed Pistol Grip

acgeorge

FALaholic #
In an effort to supply a grip with my stocks, here is my version of the Daewoo Grip. I tried to stay as close to original as possible, except for the nub at the bottom. If you think I should put it back on, let me know. Again, planning to print with ABS and Acetone smooth. Finish with Krylon Fusion Matte Black. Don't mind the recessed panels showing the checkering. It's what I had to do to get the checkering to wrap the flat and curved surface. Still struggling with smoothing out the contoured surfaces. Printed a few iterations, it's getting closer.

I still have reservations about 3D printed grips due to the forces applied on it. We support the entire weight of the firearm at times with the grip. Once I get this ironed out, we'll see how they hold up. More to come.

Combined.png

Capture 2.PNG
Capture 1.PNG

Section 1.PNG

acgeorge

FALaholic #
Solid works. No prints, modeled it, print it, measure/adjust, repeat. I'm on my 4th print, it should be very close. It took (12) iterations to get the checkering close and manageable. The smaller you go with a textured surface, the larger the file size, kept crashing Solidworks. Then, what you see isn't what you get when you print. I now have a good balance, the checkering is a bit larger but it prints well. Still trying to smooth out contours.

What do you think about the nub at the bottom, leave it off or add it back in? Or possibly a finger groove as in the AR-15 A2 grip?

My last print.
IMG_20240421_123915655.jpg

acgeorge

FALaholic #
Newest version, getting closer. Next is Acetone Vapor Smoothing, we'll see how the checkering holds up.

The grip feels solid with 100% infill. I really torqued down on the screw and didn't hear any cracking sounds.

IMG_20240423_211247908.jpg
IMG_20240423_211307107.jpg
IMG_20240423_180309856.jpg
IMG_20240423_180107609.jpg
IMG_20240423_180131265.jpg
IMG_20240423_180205741.jpg
IMG_20240423_180241828.jpg

Last edited:

acgeorge

FALaholic #
Tested Vibratory Tumbler with abrasive media (Black Diamond 80 mesh) on both Vapor smoothed and as printed. Results were mediocre. The problem is, any surface which contacted the bowl showed excessive wear (e.g. corners and fillets). I'm afraid the rotary tumbler will be the same. I think my only option is to offer these as is, Vapor Smoother or as printed. I'll make a half dozen of each and post next Friday.

I'll paint one that's been smoothed, just to see.

Last edited:

acgeorge

FALaholic #
I've tried dulling the vapor smoothed finish without much success. Tried painting a smoothed one, still looks glossy. Printed a bunch, 40% smoothed the rest as printed. Will be posting them in the market place soon but would like to get some opinions. Which do you prefer, acetone vapor smoothed (glossy) or as printed. The first two pics compare both to SOb3 molded grip inn the middle. I wouldn't be doing this if he could get more made, I still like his grip betted.

I have to say though, with 100% infill, these seem to be very strong. I posted a video of the slicer, layer by layer so you can see inside. I mounted one on my woo and really torqued down the screw; expected to hear popping or cracking noise, nothing. I've been whipping it around by the grip to see if I could force a failure, it seems ok. They are not perfect, but they are a decent copy.

Let me know which you like better.

Last edited: