• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

.38 Special in Snub-Nosed Revolver

OMCHamlin

FALaholic #
Ah, if ya down to a snub nosed 38 special J frame size revolver,,,,,,,,,,,,does anyone really expect to need to speed reload it during a gun battle????

Just asking.
I hope not, but I carry a speed strip in case that “hope shit” doesn’t pan out. I really only carry a resolver when I’m in the woods, brush or walking the dog, so my first pair are CCI big shot loads (#4s), followed by 3 Black Talons (M&P340). The almost never times I carry my old Colt Agent, 6 Hornady XTPs in 125 in non +P pressure.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I hope not, but I carry a speed strip in case that “hope shit” doesn’t pan out. I really only carry a resolver when I’m in the woods, brush or walking the dog, so my first pair are CCI big shot loads (#4s), followed by 3 Black Talons (M&P340). The almost never times I carry my old Colt Agent, 6 Hornady XTPs in 125 in non +P pressure.
I always carry an automatic, spare mag, knife, and a J frame backup, the thought of speed loading, or needing too, the J frame, just never took root with me.

I got a box, 50 rounds stuck in each vehicle bag, 5 loose in a pocket, OK, could need them, won't hurt when not wearing my normal Arizona uniform of shorts and T shirts. :unsure:;)

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
50 rounds of .38 special in a knotted tube sock makes a good knucklehead knocker.

And you can use it to reload too.

PRO TIP: Ammo stored in a tightly-knotted tube sock is most easily accessed by using your knife to cut into the sock. Some spillage is acceptable. Use a double sock if your selection is 70’s vintage.

I got a basketball jones… Wooo-ooh-oooooh!

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Mark, if you wouldn't mind sharing I'd like to know what kind of holster that is.
I think I've gotten them both from Desantis and Galco - the salient feature lacking in some suede ones is the hook at the top that prevents it from coming out of the pocket with the gun.

But now I can't find them, on line.

On the bianchi speed loader clips, they are 6 round but only loaded with four with a gap in the middle. Extensive experimentation with Gabe demonstrated that loading two at a time and only loading a total of four, was so much faster than loading 5 as to make loading 5 no longer imperative. And they sit flat in my off side pocket. Again, trading concealment for convenience.

This is the one Galco is offering now on their website
1707232889156.jpeg

This is the one I am using, except for the gun type in the picture it. But good image of the horns thatg keep it from coming out on the draw.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000C52S2/?tag=akfnfal-20

Last edited:

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
Yes I am, I’m 5‘10“ and at the time, 150 pounds. My doctor said that same thing then. He also said that it’s unlikely to ever happen with that lung again. He didn’t rule out the possibility of my right lung doing it if ever. I also seem prone to occasionally experiencing angina which is always disconcerting.
Angina is usually a blockage of the coronary arteries - time to see the cardiologist sooner than later and probably get a bypass done.

Stranger

FALaholic #
I recently aquired a snubby that I have started carrying. I am appalled at the price of ammo in this caliber! It sure ain't close to 9mm any more! At any rate, what is the best (non) +P carry/defensive ammo in this caliber at the moment?
The prices for 38 Special and 357 Mag are exactly why I got into reloading.

The brass on Magtech 38 Spl seems to work pretty well. Its still $0.44 a round new.

goon

FALaholic #
The prices for 38 Special and 357 Mag are exactly why I got into reloading.

The brass on Magtech 38 Spl seems to work pretty well. Its still $0.44 a round new.

I’ve had a lot of success with magtech brass. It seems a little softer than some other brands, and lasts a long time. Ordering online in bulk also helps with price. Reloading does too, and you can create a load that still has some recoil, but doesn’t brutalize you too much in an Airweight 38. I found Speer 148 grain wadcutters on sale years ago and shot as many as I could. Anymore I use Speer, Missouri bullet, Hornady… whatever. When I get the chance to reload.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Hornady Critical Defense tests best personally and reviews. Wife carries the 38 Special Critical Defense Low Recoil and loves it which using my two layers of leather over cotton (winter use) and one layer of cotton (summer use) the low recoil tests so close to full power can't tell any real difference.

If price is an issue Federal HST is about as good of carry ammo in any caliber money can buy and is reasonable. Especially compared to $2 per shot and more botique projectiles.

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Angina is usually a blockage of the coronary arteries - time to see the cardiologist sooner than later and probably get a bypass done.
I do, I see mine once a year for the last 5 years or, as necessary if I have any trouble. He has me on hypertensive’s and blood thinners.
Thanks 🙂

Wildcat

FALaholic #
I’ve had a lot of success with magtech brass.
I've had a few issues with CBC headstamp 38s and 158 grainers. Apparently the inside taper is such that the brass bulges slightly with the longer bullets, so chambering by gravity was not 100%.
140gr or less seemed to work OK.
Seating the 158/160 grainers out to 357 length also worked OK (crimping in the lube groove).
YMMV

goon

FALaholic #
I've had a few issues with CBC headstamp 38s and 158 grainers. Apparently the inside taper is such that the brass bulges slightly with the longer bullets, so chambering by gravity was not 100%.
140gr or less seemed to work OK.
Seating the 158/160 grainers out to 357 length also worked OK (crimping in the lube groove).
YMMV
I have noticed that it’s not the same length as domestic brass, so I have screwed up a few crimps. Either had to pull them or they were a little snug chambering. I just sort my brass by brand now and load it in lots. There’s not much stretch in 38 brass, even over repeated firings. Most of my revolver practice loads are lead bullets, so I could maybe see jacketed behaving differently. But some of my magtech brass also came from 158 grain FMJ or JHP factory ammo.

goon

FALaholic #
Hornady Critical Defense tests best personally and reviews. Wife carries the 38 Special Critical Defense Low Recoil and loves it which using my two layers of leather over cotton (winter use) and one layer of cotton (summer use) the low recoil tests so close to full power can't tell any real difference.

If price is an issue Federal HST is about as good of carry ammo in any caliber money can buy and is reasonable. Especially compared to $2 per shot and more botique projectiles.
There are also times when you can get fifty round boxes of HST, Speer Gold Dot, etc. from places like SGAmmo. Sometimes they get contract overruns or whatnot. Their fifty round boxes are usually only a few dollars more than a 20 round box elsewhere.

ByronF

FALaholic #
If my primary carry was a G43, then my backup would be another G43. Why deviate? But then again, why carry a backup? Just carry a better pistol? Or pick it up if you drop the primary? Dunno, maybe I don't live where the action is.

For 38 ammo I would avoid JHP unless pacifically made for redickilous low velocity expansion. I'd be more horny for mushy soft lead swchp. Or anything not having a jacket.

tdb59

Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
From Mr. Smith-

What’s a typical number of rounds fired in a fight?
Clint has some statistics for us. “The 1980s was the last decade for most police to carry revolvers. The average police officer fired 2.8 rounds per target and fired 5.6 rounds per engagement, which means he shot the gun until it was empty.”

“In the ’90s, we went to the Glock pistols. They only kept track for four years and then they quit. If you look at New York shooting records, you can see why; they fired 12.9 rounds to get a hit on the target and fired 17.5 rounds per engagement, so they shot the gun until it was empty.”

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
From Mr. Smith-

What’s a typical number of rounds fired in a fight?

“In the ’90s, we went to the Glock pistols. They only kept track for four years and then they quit. If you look at New York shooting records, you can see why; they fired 12.9 rounds to get a hit on the target and fired 17.5 rounds per engagement, so they shot the gun empty.
We just had the video posted of the two female LEO not only shoot till empty, they reloaded and kept shooting. Blind shots through a window that would have an untrained, unvetted citizen up on multiple charges . Bet they get a pass.

Delta-3

FALaholic #
f my primary carry was a G43, then my backup would be another G43. Why deviate? But then again, why carry a backup? Just carry a better pistol? Or pick it up if you drop the primary? Dunno, maybe I don't live where the action is.
Murphy has a way of showing up at the worst of times.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I guess the FBI yearly shooting reports dont include much dope on revolver cartridges any more, or are those even available for public consumption today ?
The 158HP always had the best results in short barrel 38's years ago, but they were also the most used & recorded by a long shot. My snubby's still get 158gr HP nyclads, mostly just because I have a lifetime supply.. :)

goon

FALaholic #
Point of fact, I have to revise my previous assumptions about quick reloads with wadcutters. I tried it with speed strips, and they were about the same speed as JHP’s. I think with practice a guy could learn to reload with them quickly.

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
My 38 is my BUG to a semi-auto. I don't use a pocket holster. Mine sits into the pocket with just the grip sticking up above. covers easily & very fast to draw.

View attachment 382136
Funny, I just reviewed this thread in order to find one of the ammo links that I thought I saw in this thread and, noticed that you have a Techna-clip on your J frame. I just ordered two of those for a couple of my J frames earlier this afternoon. I’ve had the Clip draw brand clips in the past and, just didn’t like them because they pinched me in the meaty part of my trigger finger and, in fact, I gave the last one I had away here on the Files several years ago. I’ve been told that the Techa-clip doesn’t do that and, from the looks, I bet not. 😎