Anything and Everything FN/FAL related
MightBeABot

Re: Izzy kits 299.00 at PSA

Post by MightBeABot »

def90 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 am
MightBeABot wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:17 am
The takedown lever and safety selector are stuck in place. Not sure if that's because of the grease, but that's my guess. Anybody have a solvent to recommend for dealing with it?
A couple ways to deal with cosmoline..

Heat the parts up in an oven at maybe 120 degrees or so, just enough to start loosening the grease up but not so hot that you can’t handle it and then use a degreaser such as Dawn dish soap or whatever along with a toothbrush to clean it all out. Boiling the parts in a big pot does about the same thing, make sure the pot is not expected to be used for cooking again because you will trash it. Boiling after cleaning will also have the benefit of converting any rust/corrosion in to a black oxide that can be brushed off with a carding brush. Another way to do it is to soak the parts in a tub of acetone and then use a toothbrush to clean it all out. Some would probably say that brake cleaner works as well.

Either way a bit of elbow grease will be required.
I have no shortage of elbow grease :lol: What I'm worried about is damaging the wood with any of these methods. I'll probably try the oven route first. Should I put something under the pieces to catch the cosmo, or will it drip at that temperature?

def90

Post by def90 »

MightBeABot wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:06 am
def90 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 am
MightBeABot wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:17 am
The takedown lever and safety selector are stuck in place. Not sure if that's because of the grease, but that's my guess. Anybody have a solvent to recommend for dealing with it?
A couple ways to deal with cosmoline..

Heat the parts up in an oven at maybe 120 degrees or so, just enough to start loosening the grease up but not so hot that you can’t handle it and then use a degreaser such as Dawn dish soap or whatever along with a toothbrush to clean it all out. Boiling the parts in a big pot does about the same thing, make sure the pot is not expected to be used for cooking again because you will trash it. Boiling after cleaning will also have the benefit of converting any rust/corrosion in to a black oxide that can be brushed off with a carding brush. Another way to do it is to soak the parts in a tub of acetone and then use a toothbrush to clean it all out. Some would probably say that brake cleaner works as well.

Either way a bit of elbow grease will be required.
I have no shortage of elbow grease :lol: What I'm worried about is damaging the wood with any of these methods. I'll probably try the oven route first. Should I put something under the pieces to catch the cosmo, or will it drip at that temperature?
Take the wood off. Yes cosmolene can drip, put some foil under it.

def90

Post by def90 »

Walther Rathenau wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:39 am
def90 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:52 am
Walther Rathenau wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:45 am
I wonder what's wrong with the barrel that they had to throw it away.
It’s illegal to import machine gun barrels, you can thank GW Bush for that.
I thought the terminology referred to machine guns. However, all I can find is intended for firearms not otherwise importable; NFA items or not suitable for non sporting purposes. Somehow, that seems to have been reduced to "any barrel previously installed on a "machine" i.e. automatic gun.

From the first definition, I'm not sure how threaded Romanian AK barrels and other new barrels were imported. Others barrels appeared to have been stopped, like new Imbels. I also don't understand how a parts kit isn't readily adaptable to sporting purposes.
The new AK barrels are imported because they are replacements for current AKs which are imported in sporter configurations and converted once they are here. No one is currently building and importing FALs in a sporting configuration Nor are they producing new FAL barrels period so barrels and receivers are banned.

MightBeABot

Post by MightBeABot »

def90 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:17 am
MightBeABot wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:06 am
Take the wood off. Yes cosmolene can drip, put some foil under it.
Gotcha. Any recommendation on cleaning the wood?

def90

Post by def90 »

I’ve cleaned wood in a couple ways, if its really bad and I plan on refinishing it I will wash it down with Dawn dish soap to remove all of the surface dirt and grease and then I will steam it to get the dirt and grease out of the deep pores and help raise some of the smaller dents, I will then bleach the wood and refinish. If I just want to clean and touch up the existing finish most if the time you can just put some tung oil on it and rub it with a shop towel. The tung oil will loosen and raise the dirt and oil which can then be removed with the towel and then rub in more oil to rejuvenate the existing finish.

MightBeABot

Post by MightBeABot »

def90 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:31 am
I’ve cleaned wood in a couple ways, if its really bad and I plan on refinishing it I will wash it down with Dawn dish soap to remove all of the surface dirt and grease and then I will steam it to get the dirt and grease out of the deep pores and help raise some of the smaller dents, I will then bleach the wood and refinish. If I just want to clean and touch up the existing finish most if the time you can just put some tung oil on it and rub it with a shop towel. The tung oil will loosen and raise the dirt and oil which can then be removed with the towel and then rub in more oil to rejuvenate the existing finish.
Great, thanks. Does it have to be tung? Linseed is what I have laying around.

def90

Post by def90 »

Boiled Linseed Oil works as well.

lockjaw

Post by lockjaw »

If you intend on steaming and lightly sanding the wood, oven cleaner and hot water does a great job.

Before cleaning, wrapping in rags, drop in a black hefty bag, and let sit in the sun on some metal, will pull some of the cosmoline out of the wood.

BalkanMexican91

Post by BalkanMexican91 »

lockjaw wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:28 am
BalkanMexican91 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:26 am
Well fuck guys, you all got me hyped on this FAL kit but now I'm thinking I chewed off more than I can handle for a first FAL build. Just ordered one 2 hours ago... having a bit of buyers remorse.
:?: $299 for the examples presented above are an excellent deal. Despite needing to be cleaned up and rough furniture, the parts like very nice. I have seen some pretty gnarly Izzy lowers and other parts over the years, these are not bad at all.
Thats what I'm hoping for! I guess if worst comes to shove I can just sell it for the same price.

Eli

Post by Eli »

The stupid thing is, the barrels are technically importable if the threads are cut off, but the powers that be have stated they will not allow them in - no matter what!

Eli

CTW

Post by CTW »

Eli wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:25 pm
The stupid thing is, the barrels are technically importable if the threads are cut off, but the powers that be have stated they will not allow them in - no matter what!

Eli
Yay gun loving Republicans .. 🥴
It’s absolutely ridiculous...😡

tnjeb

Post by tnjeb »

Keep in mind people are asking $250-300 for complete Imbel lowers. Nice Israeli lowers , once hard to find , just the lower alone like these were going fir way more than $299

TacticalMallNinja

Post by TacticalMallNinja »

I received mine yesterday and didn’t have much time to play around with it before I had other stuff to do. Condition looks superb. There isn’t corrosion anywhere to be found and the finish is probably 90% intact and the areas that lack are contact areas like the bolt rails. Was going to just use a standard receiver but on inspection really fell in love with the Hebrew markings and overall quality. Luckily the DSA Israeli marked receiver went back in stock as I was sitting in the parking lot of my gym and I couldn’t resist the urge.

Current plan is to NOT use a light barrel blank from DSA, and just to use the standard profile SA58 21” barrel instead. Should allow me to swap the gas block assembly and use most of what came with my kit bearing in my 922r 😉.

def90

Post by def90 »

Eli wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:25 pm

Eli
No they aren't, they were once installed on a machine gun thus they are not importable period.

Here is the text of the ban, barrels for any firearm that would not be importable as assembled would not be legal to import. There is no legally importable version of a FAL so there are no legally importable barrels.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... IcYZFUqnDI

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has determined that the language of 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3) permits no exceptions that would allow frames, receivers or barrels for otherwise non-importable firearms to be imported into the United States. Accordingly, ATF will no longer approve ATF Form 6 applications for importation of any frames, receivers, or barrels for firearms that would be prohibited from importation if assembled. No exceptions to the statutory language, for example for “repair or replacement” of existing firearms, will be allowed."

CTW

Post by CTW »

I have a nice Imbel barrel I plan to use. I’ll just have the gas blocks swapped. Chime in if anyone thinks this won’t work. I’m building a later kit with the combo device, so the imbel barrel should work fine.

def90

Post by def90 »

Should be good. There is always the chance that the gasblock having been pressed off and back on again could be loose but there are ways around that. Should be able to check the journal size on the barrel vs the hole in the gasblock prior to pressing.

Briar

Post by Briar »

my kit just arrived, FAR exceeded expectations... i think i won the bottom of the barrel lottery
only damage of any significance i see is the front sling swivel is tweeked

my carrier looks newish but the top has been scrubbed prior to being refinished, and the bolt has wear but also has a new extractor.
Neither has serial numbers and both belgian

Lower is serial numbered 4216
Last edited by Briar on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmokeEater2

Post by SmokeEater2 »

My kit's supposed to be here tomorrow and I really hope it's in as good condition as you guys have gotten. Pics on the FB FAL groups look pretty nice.

CTW

Post by CTW »

Guys if you’re on the fence about getting these kits I would act fast. They are an absolute bargain for the price of $299. Granted some small parts were missing from the kits I ordered. I know PSA is not gonna replace those parts. I’m missing two gas tube pins. One sling swivel. Two gas regulator springs. And this one hurts the most one pivot pin. I bought four kits. One of them was the older kit that didn’t come with a flash hider. The other three came with combo devices. None of my kits have serial numbers anywhere on the receivers or bolt carrier groups. I don’t think you can beat these for the value right now. The three newer kits that I bought all have the original finish still on the lower receivers and the stocks are in very good shape. I might’ve just been the lucky one not sure I might’ve just been the lucky one not sure🤷🏼‍♂️.
Attachments
2E588332-0793-42ED-9D7F-1141776B79AA.jpeg
2E588332-0793-42ED-9D7F-1141776B79AA.jpeg (122.99 KiB) Viewed 2456 times

easttex

Post by easttex »

easttex wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:10 pm
sigking wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:52 pm
Metric surplus mags on sale as well.
Do these work in any metric rifle?
Quick follow up - all the mags I ordered lock up tightly in my CAI receivered IMBEL FAL and look basically new. An excellent value for what they are.
  • Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy
  • Amat Victoria Curam
  • Molon Labe

SmokeEater2

Post by SmokeEater2 »

May just be me but I can't see your pics.

Huh? That was directed at Briar's post and now the whole post is gone. :?

Briar

Post by Briar »

yeah, none of my image links worked so i immediately deleted it
(tried to link to images on my home NAS but failed lol)

maybe this will work: https://bluegrasscarnivores.us.quickcon ... e/ZBviaW2z

I'm curious what the decal on the stock says if anyone can translate please :D

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

My PSA Izzy kit showed up today. Seems to all be there and condition is not bad at all, other than a lot of "character" carved into the butt stock. I'm still not sure if or when I will build it, but for 300 shekels, I like it.

It did show up with a gas block which I did not expect. Maybe I should have, but it is the first kit I bought without a barrel and I assumed w/o barrel would also be w/o gas block. Apparently a poor assumption.

SmokeEater2

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Invictus77 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 pm
My PSA Izzy kit showed up today. Seems to all be there and condition is not bad at all, other than a lot of "character" carved into the butt stock. I'm still not sure if or when I will build it, but for 300 shekels, I like it.

It did show up with a gas block which I did not expect. Maybe I should have, but it is the first kit I bought without a barrel and I assumed w/o barrel would also be w/o gas block. Apparently a poor assumption.

You got a stock with trench art?

TacticalMallNinja

Post by TacticalMallNinja »

Does anyone know if a SA58 traditional profile barrel will accept the Izzy brake that comes with these kits?