Izzy kits 299.00 at PSA

Anything and Everything FN/FAL related
qprhooligan

Re: Izzy kits 299.00 at PSA

Post by qprhooligan »

When I saw the price was $299 I ordered a kit for shits n giggles. I got it in today and I am very pleased. The kit is in much better shape than I expected. Well worth the money. I may have just got lucky I don't know, but no complaints from me on my PSA kit.

Well I may have spoke too soon. My kit is missing some parts, I hope PSA will make up for it.
Last edited by qprhooligan on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tnjeb

Post by tnjeb »

My bad. B stock

def90

Post by def90 »

Hey, a Type B is pretty cool as well, I can't say that I've seen any more of them than type A's.

grahamneall

Post by grahamneall »

Hope mine looks that good ??
Was (kinda) expecting it to arrive yesterday (Sat)...maybe Monday

munchoman

Post by munchoman »

grahamneall wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:51 am
Sounds like getting all the parts you paid for, is the best you can hope for.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

grahamneall wrote:
Me too. I thought it odd they sent me a "your order has shipped" email, but did not include the tracking number???

BillT

Post by BillT »

I bought one just for fun. With 13 or so FALs already it will probably just be here.

tubee1

Post by tubee1 »

What barrels will work for this kit?

def90

Post by def90 »

tubee1 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:10 pm
What barrels will work for this kit?
Any metric non-bipod cut barrel. If you want to be historically correct, if your kit came with a flash hider just get a regular non-bipod cut barrel, if your kit came without a flash hider get a lugged Argentine barrel if you can find one.

john Dillinger

Post by john Dillinger »

Here is lower after cleaning it up couldn't see the repair in the stock in the fist pictures its a solid repair but over all more than I expected.

Imagel

MightBeABot

Post by MightBeABot »

I just bought one of these kits and it's supposed to show up tomorrow. I have been an AK guy for a couple years, but this is my first FAL so I'm hoping I didn't get screwed! I may need some help determining the condition of some parts, so I'll post pics here when I can.

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

I have a kit that is supposed to arrived Monday as well, plus two mags.

Hope it's decent

MightBeABot

Post by MightBeABot »

I should have 4 mags showing up as well.

I'm a lot more concerned about functionality than appearance with all this. I guess it might have to do with my AK background lol

SmokeEater2

Post by SmokeEater2 »

After a couple of years of saying I didn't need any more FAL's I caved and ordered one of the Izzy kits, Should be here Wednesday. Right after I ordered the kit I somehow wound up on DSA's site ordering a Type 1 Izzy while they were in stock.

Hotel FALafornia, You can never leave.... :shock:

Hardheaded

Post by Hardheaded »

I ordered one a few days ago
I hope the lower is not beat to death like that one I got from Sarco a couple years ago

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Jeff in Pa wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:14 pm
I have a kit that is supposed to arrived Monday as well, plus two mags.

Hope it's decent
It arrived today and other than the pivot sticking out of the box, everything seems decent.
0803201102-00.jpg
0803201102-00.jpg (276.2 KiB) Viewed 1970 times

Hand guards look used but will work. Stock looks extremely dirty but intact and the pistol grip. I still have to go thru the rest of the parts but it seems to all be there.

I'll put up more pictures later after I get time to go thru it all.

One bonus is the section of the receiver I will be able to measure easily to verify dimensions to the prints.

I also got two mags and other than slight rust on the follower, they look great. The rust is almost completely gone with just my thumb rubbing it.

MightBeABot

Post by MightBeABot »

Ok, first impressions leave me satisfied.

To my limited knowledge, it looks like everything is here. Nothing appears to be broken or badly damaged, just dirty. Not sure if it's cosmo or what. The dust cover is bent, but I expected that.

An easy enough fix. The stock looks great, other than being greasy and grimy of course. No cracks or repairs that I can see, only some minor dings and scratches. The rear sling loop is bent, but again, that should be an easy fix.

The handguards are decidedly rougher, but still serviceable. The piston looks pristine, as you can see.

The pistol grip doesn't look so great, but it will work. The takedown lever and safety selector are stuck in place. Not sure if that's because of the grease, but that's my guess. Anybody have a solvent to recommend for dealing with it?

On the other hand, the magazines are immaculate. I ordered four more immediately on inspection.

Let me know if there's anything I missed or if you have any questions. I consider it a good purchase at this point.

BalkanMexican91

Post by BalkanMexican91 »

Well fuck guys, you all got me hyped on this FAL kit but now I'm thinking I chewed off more than I can handle for a first FAL build. Just ordered one 2 hours ago... having a bit of buyers remorse.

Walther Rathenau

Post by Walther Rathenau »

I wonder what's wrong with the barrel that they had to throw it away.

def90

Post by def90 »

Walther Rathenau wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:45 am
It’s illegal to import machine gun barrels, you can thank GW Bush for that.

def90

Post by def90 »

MightBeABot wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:17 am
The takedown lever and safety selector are stuck in place. Not sure if that's because of the grease, but that's my guess. Anybody have a solvent to recommend for dealing with it?
A couple ways to deal with cosmoline..

Heat the parts up in an oven at maybe 120 degrees or so, just enough to start loosening the grease up but not so hot that you can’t handle it and then use a degreaser such as Dawn dish soap or whatever along with a toothbrush to clean it all out. Boiling the parts in a big pot does about the same thing, make sure the pot is not expected to be used for cooking again because you will trash it. Boiling after cleaning will also have the benefit of converting any rust/corrosion in to a black oxide that can be brushed off with a carding brush. Another way to do it is to soak the parts in a tub of acetone and then use a toothbrush to clean it all out. Some would probably say that brake cleaner works as well.

Either way a bit of elbow grease will be required.

Scroatius Maximus

Post by Scroatius Maximus »

Mineral spirits is my favorite way to deal with cosmo.

Walther Rathenau

Post by Walther Rathenau »

def90 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:52 am
Walther Rathenau wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:45 am
It’s illegal to import machine gun barrels, you can thank GW Bush for that.
I thought the terminology referred to machine guns. However, all I can find is intended for firearms not otherwise importable; NFA items or not suitable for non sporting purposes. Somehow, that seems to have been reduced to "any barrel previously installed on a "machine" i.e. automatic gun.

From the first definition, I'm not sure how threaded Romanian AK barrels and other new barrels were imported. Others barrels appeared to have been stopped, like new Imbels. I also don't understand how a parts kit isn't readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

lockjaw

Post by lockjaw »

BalkanMexican91 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:26 am
Well fuck guys, you all got me hyped on this FAL kit but now I'm thinking I chewed off more than I can handle for a first FAL build. Just ordered one 2 hours ago... having a bit of buyers remorse.
:?: $299 for the examples presented above are an excellent deal. Despite needing to be cleaned up and rough furniture, the parts like very nice. I have seen some pretty gnarly Izzy lowers and other parts over the years, these are not bad at all.

lockjaw

Post by lockjaw »

Invictus77 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:59 am
grahamneall wrote:
Me too. I thought it odd they sent me a "your order has shipped" email, but did not include the tracking number???
I just checked my order, it provided a UPS tracking number, but had to click two or three links from the order confirmation page to get there. I bought two, should be here tomorrow.