Does your workplace allow you to carry firearms?

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
Deltaten

Re: Does your workplace allow you to carry firearms?

Post by Deltaten »

My former workplace instituted a "no firearms" policy in the then new HR dept. regs. For the several (7-8?) years it was in effect, I never signed the document. HR was aware of my firearm hobby and when the push was on to get all aboard, I was never included..
We had a couple or 3 firings due to the ruling; but mostly idiots showing off or telling all and sundry :rolleyes:
I turned in my signed handbook on the way out the door! ;)

Tubby513

Post by Tubby513 »

My employer specifically outlines in the company handbook that possession of a firearm on your person or even in your vehicle is prohibited.

But I'm sure somewhere there's a sign on a window and no bad guys would ever dare disobey that...

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

Tubby513 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:35 pm
possession of a firearm on your person or even in your vehicle is prohibited.
Do your own research, but I am fairly certain it has been proven unlawful to prohibit employees from having a legally owned firearm in their personal vehicle in the parking lot.

Inside the building sure, their building and their rules, flaunt them at your own risk, but I don't think they can prohibit them in your personal vehicle.

Now having said that, most states are "at will" employers and can fire you with or without reason. You have to measure your own risk/reward levels.

Pistolero1911

Post by Pistolero1911 »

Yes, of course it does. One of the perks of having my own business is making it 2A friendly.

Tubby513

Post by Tubby513 »

Invictus77 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:46 pm
Tubby513 wrote:
Do your own research, but I am fairly certain it has been proven unlawful to prohibit employees from having a legally owned firearm in their personal vehicle in the parking lot.

Inside the building sure, their building and their rules, flaunt them at your own risk, but I don't think they can prohibit them in your personal vehicle.

Now having said that, most states are "at will" employers and can fire you with or without reason. You have to measure your own risk/reward levels.
Yep, you are correct based on my research as well.

Get this for a bit of complication though. More tenured employees (I've been here 14+ years so I'm in that group) get to park in a fancy schmancy indoor garage that's part of the building. Everyone else parks in a typical outdoor lot right next to the building.

Meh. I do what I do and don't really overthink it much.

K. Funk

Post by K. Funk »

At my previous employer, having a firearm on company property was grounds for immediate dismissal. Before everyone jumps up and down, it was a unique place in terms of security and technology due to the nature of the products we made. That did not stop me from having a pistol in the secret compartment of my truck on a daily basis. Although subject to search, I was never searched in the 20 years I was there. Now that I am retired and self-employed, I have taken appropriate measures.

krf

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

K. Funk wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:58 pm
krf
Hey Karl, did you see my post on page one of this thread? I still smile when I think of the little boy in your avatar and the young man I met in PA :D

Black Blade

Post by Black Blade »

What no one knows won't hurt them. Carried for years on the job and a few knew but they carried as well. Oddly enough not allowed to carry on the job in exploration work in Alaska. A few years back we had a young fresh geology grad student was hired and dropped off by helicopter to map an area. They eventually found her later that day having been attacked by a brown bear. Today she has two prosthetic arms. At least she lived.

Northwest 80D

Post by Northwest 80D »

Tubby513 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:50 pm
Invictus77 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:46 pm
Tubby513 wrote:

Yep, you are correct based on my research as well.

Get this for a bit of complication though. More tenured employees (I've been here 14+ years so I'm in that group) get to park in a fancy schmancy indoor garage that's part of the building. Everyone else parks in a typical outdoor lot right next to the building.

Meh. I do what I do and don't really overthink it much.
Unless I'm mistaken, the way the law is written your vehicle is considered to be your property, regardless of where on the company lot it's parked.

I don't think there is a distinction between 'open parking lot' and 'enclosed parking deck'...... unless you turn the lobby into your parking spot....LOL

Hebrew Battle Rifles

Post by Hebrew Battle Rifles »

My former employer never had a firearm policy of which I was aware. I carried and it was "known" that I carried. It never became an issue.
There are no such things as enough time, money, or ammo.

Cypheros

Post by Cypheros »

Northwest 80D wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:50 pm
Unless I'm mistaken, the way the law is written your vehicle is considered to be your property, regardless of where on the company lot it's parked.
Depends on the state, as to what is legal and what is not.

For me, I most certainly do not disobey my company's no-firearms policy. Most of those policies only exist for liability purposes, and as long as you aren't dangerous or super obvious about it, no one will say anything.

Mangi One

Post by Mangi One »

Yep every place since 1973. Except 35 years as a volunteer emt in Alaska. Never had any employers say no except the government.

firejunkie

Post by firejunkie »

Nope. I work for the city. No guns allowed on city property.

A J

Post by A J »

I don't carry at work as I would be fired immediately. I'm surrounded by Karens and enemies, so concealing would only work for a short time. In my car, however; I keep a snub nosed .38, a Ruger P89 9mm pistol and a Remington 870 12 gauge in the trunk. You never can be too careful.

v guy

Post by v guy »

Before I retired, they banned firearms at work; and then IN your car in the parking lot. ON the days I shot trap after work, I just parked on the street and shoved quarters into the meter. EVERYONE WAS MUCH MUCH SAFER THAT WAY??............ but the car was now much closer to the office!!! :lol:

After that, they banned personal laptop computers and personal smart phones. You could only use a company issued smart phone that tracked you (and any visits to gun stores), as did the car GPS.
I just had my partner drop me off at the gun store and let him go get coffee. Many ways to skin a cat. PPK in bellyband holster or deep pocket is the best as long as metal detectors are not in play.

Fooling Karen, 8-) IS a sport.

c0dy33

Post by c0dy33 »

Hell no they don't allow it. But they don't check either so I'll just leave it at that.

Does not matter anymore though as we've been working from home since March.

cavalryman

Post by cavalryman »

Yes,

;)

panzertruppe

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

cavalryman wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:17 pm
Yes,

;)

panzertruppe
Your workplace requires you to carry a firearm. :)

69Rebel

Post by 69Rebel »

Only one company that I ever worked for had an official policy prohibiting firearms on premises. Even then, the unofficial policy was keep in your car, and don't talk about it. Since I've been self employed for nearly a dozen years, I always carry.

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Previous employer was 2A friendly and never had a problem.

Current employer is also 2A friendly to the point we have "show and tell" when someone gets something new to them.

silverAKM

Post by silverAKM »

Well black powder guns aren't legally considered "firearms".
"It's easier to fool people than it's to convince them they been fooled." Samuel Clemens(Mark Twain)
"Life is hard, life is even harder if you're stupid and lazy." Marion Morrison(John Wayne)
Black Rifles Matter!

MACV

Post by MACV »

I worked at a large defense contractor. They said a gun on their property was grounds for dismissal, even in your car. Then they said if you got caught smoking on their property you could get fired. There was a large group of Missouri country boys that worked there and did what they thought they needed to do. Never heard of anyone getting fired. I'm sure everyone in my office knew I had something in my car. I'm sure some of them did too. Especially during the Ferguson riots which was only a few miles away. I kept a 12 gauge in my truck that summer.

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

silverAKM wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:54 am
Well black powder guns aren't legally considered "firearms".
Not under federal law, no.

Under most state laws, they are.

gripper

Post by gripper »

Two of my three jobs are actually armed security jobs. The third one isn't, but absent entering a courthouse or an airport I keep my own counsel

hkshooter

Post by hkshooter »

Yes.

And besides, I do what I want.