POS 84s

Anything and Everything AK Related
HavasuAK

POS 84s

Post by HavasuAK »

Looking for some guidance on where to send my 84s to get fixed not sure if there is any AK smith that "specializes" in these rifles or if any of them are good to go?

Got my GF an 84s for our anniversary and it's been nothing but a problem I regret buying it more than the I.O. inc rifle I have.

First off had the infamous firing pin issue I fixed that then it had failure to feed with brass.... switched to steel case got about 100rds out of it now it wolnt extract at all. Extractor and shark fin both look OK to me but I'm just tired of dealing with it. Any advice on a good gunsmith would be greatly appreciated

Thanks -Tanner

Mattymo

Re: POS 84s

Post by Mattymo »

This is a 556 variant correct? What mags are you using? I've heard they only run well with Chinese 556 mags and they are super expensive from what I remember.
Last edited by Mattymo on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mattymo

Post by Mattymo »

What mags are you using? I've heard that they only run well with Chinese 556 mags. As far as the failure to extract I have no idea. Good luck :)

Mattymo

Post by Mattymo »

Sorry for the double posting I'm getting used to the temporary site

frick

Post by frick »

Never designed for brass cases, common problem, magazine issues are usually a failure to feed.

My guess would be a rough, or oversized chamber, causing the cases to stick. Also is the extractor ripping the rim of the cases off or what?

You don't give us a whole bunch of info to work with.

HavasuAK

Post by HavasuAK »

Yes only using the rediclious overpriced steel mags have 4 of them. Same problem with every mag.

Brass it would rip the rim off the cases.
I've cleaned the crap out of it especially in the camber area to make sure the cases slide in and out

With the steel case it would leave small Mark's on the rim up until the last time I tried it and it wouldnt eject at all had to run the cleaning rod down and push the case out of the chamber

Edit- just found the last steel case from the malfunction I had to push out with the cleaning rod and it is identical to what it did to the brass the lip where the extractor claw grabbed it is almost shaved off.

allesennogwat

Post by allesennogwat »

Have a restrictor placed in the gas block with a gas port hole diameter of 0.067".

There may be some cleaning under extractor required and clean the chamber.

Brass case ammo should work fine.

There is nothing in the designed restricting the use of certain case material.

It is a standard design, but has an oversize gas port in the barrel.

if the rims are ripping, the extractor may be fine and it just be overgassed.

The chamber might be pitted or rough.

Chrome damaged?

Piece of a case in the chamber?

Fix the gas port first thing.

timhogan427

Post by timhogan427 »

or your headspace is way too loose? check to make sure its in spec.

HavasuAK

Post by HavasuAK »

You guys might be onto something with the overgassing and possibly head space but I dont have anything for .223/556

I'm tired of messing with it I just boxed it up and sent it off to CW and well see what he says. Hopefuly it's something simple

allesennogwat

Post by allesennogwat »

More likely overgassed than headspace.

HavasuAK

Post by HavasuAK »

timhogan427 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:34 am
or your headspace is way too loose? check to make sure its in spec.
Winner winner just got the call from CW. Headspace is fucked.

Now to decide to list it forsale complete or cut it up and part it out I'm already way in the hole on this I shoulda just bought the KP9.... so gunna try and recouped some money on it for the gun I should have bought in the first place.

timhogan427

Post by timhogan427 »

People always think way over the top. Should be easy to fix though. Bad headspace will make the bolt jam shut and not eject. I know from having 2 bolts mixed up and having this issue a couple times. Woops.

EinheitElfV2

Post by EinheitElfV2 »

If possible i would have the barrel repressed and fix the headspace issue ,ream it for a larger pin and THEN sell it... easier to sell and recoup more than if you did not...

K-fal58

Post by K-fal58 »

I agree just fix the head space with a over sized pin. That's better than cutting up a nice Ak.