Trigger job

Anything and Everything FN/FAL related
fn ellis

Trigger job

Post by fn ellis »

I am sure this subject has been discussed at length. However, who is the bast person to send my DSA trigger components to for a trigger job?

John Crusher

Re: Trigger job

Post by John Crusher »

Stick it in your rifle and shoot.
It's a Frikkin' Battlerifle !!
Seriously , I'd trust no one to mess with my bang switch.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

I looked into this a couple years ago. IIRC, Gunplumber was about the only one recommended, but I am thinking he was not taking any in at that time. My memory could be wrong or his workload may have dropped since then.

I ended up doing a "trigger job" myself on an Imbel build with a really crappy trigger and fluxed it up. It felt wonderful in the bare lower, but I got too froggy or got an angle wrong and the hammer would follow though on every shot when actually shooting. I put in a different HTS (Styer I think) and it was smooth as glass without any modification. Might be worth just trying a different HTS set.

My two cents

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

Invictus77 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:22 pm
I looked into this a couple years ago. IIRC, Gunplumber was about the only one recommended,
Bill Springfield doesn't tune FAL triggers?

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

nalioth wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:28 pm
Invictus77 wrote:
I looked into this a couple years ago. IIRC, Gunplumber was about the only one recommended,
From all reports I've heard, not any better than the one I did myself.

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

Invictus77 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:46 pm
nalioth wrote:
Invictus77 wrote:
Did you run those reports through the "internet filter"?

You know "almost any problems you read about on the internet actually affect less than .01% of actual users" ?

def90

Post by def90 »

nalioth wrote:
Invictus77 wrote:
Sure.. if you want a rifle that doubles. Do a google search on him and FAL trigger jobs, a lot of unsatisfied customers.

The FAL for whatever reason is a difficult rifle to do a trigger job on, go a hair too far as others have alluded to above and you have a rifle that doubles or doesn't work at all. I wouldn't bother with attempting to do it, you will be better served replacing the US made DSA set for a surplus Steyr set.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

nalioth wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:57 pm
Invictus77 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:46 pm
nalioth wrote:

Did you run those reports through the "internet filter"?

You know "almost any problems you read about on the internet actually affect less than .01% of actual users" ?
Never met the man and know nothing about him. Only saying what I heard from multiple trusted sources, which may indeed be .01%.

IDK,YMMV.

fn ellis

Post by fn ellis »

I am not looking for a 3lb trigger just something a little better then 10lbs with a lot of creep. Just something a little smoother. I like the idea of getting a Styer surplus set. Thank you

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

def90 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:02 pm
nalioth wrote:
Invictus77 wrote:
Sure.. if you want a rifle that doubles. Do a google search on him and FAL trigger jobs, a lot of unsatisfied customers.

The FAL for whatever reason is a difficult rifle to do a trigger job on, go a hair too far as others have alluded to above and you have a rifle that doubles or doesn't work at all. I wouldn't bother with attempting to do it, you will be better served replacing the US made DSA set for a surplus Steyr set.
A lot of posts from the same disgruntled customer, you mean?

That's the internet.

It's nothing for a pissed off person to sign up on multiple forums under a different name and tell the same story.

Then the haters (of whatever the person's posting about) quote that or refer to that (or those) for years whenever the subject comes up, magnifying ONE issue encountered by ONE person.

Now, if a tradesman works 10 years and has one of these asshole customers (who cannot be satisfied no matter what) every year, why, the internet would have the tradesman portrayed as a ham-handed retard.

Gotta put on the "internet filter"

gunplumber

Post by gunplumber »

Bill Springfield is a dangerously incompetent hack.

meltblown

Post by meltblown »

Do it yourself. Polish/stone, get the sear neutral with no sharp edges that drag, try some springs RTP from Falcon, cut a couple of coils off the trigger return spring. Start with a Belgian or StG set. I've experimented and cut a notch on each side of the sear to lower the contact area.

GP can do it, but you ain't going to gain a hell of a lot more that what you can do on your own since he's got a long line of customers behind you. When the old board gets up, he explains it along with other folks.

You're mainly working on getting the grit out on the take up then the springs can help a little. Still, it's not going to be anywhere close to a 2 stage trigger and be reliable...evah

bill3542

Post by bill3542 »

It's a FAL... don't piss with it. I have 3 FAL kit guns rebuilt on Imbel receivers, one STG58 and two Imbels and I can't notice any difference in the trigger pulls.

As others have already stated... go messing with it and you'll end up with double taps.

fn ellis

Post by fn ellis »

Ya I don’t need that to happen. I am sure the range master at the state range I go to would not be happy.

trypcil

Post by trypcil »

Listen to the Fal guys - not the Ak guys! It is as simple as that!

12v71

Post by 12v71 »

A tiny drop of oil on the HTS surfaces can make a huge difference, albeit a temporary difference.

TerryN

Post by TerryN »

If I were truly worried about the trigger pull on my FAL, I would very lightly polish the contact/bearing surfaces just enough to remove the parkerizing, Then I would lube the bearing surfaces with something like TW-25B grease. That should remove a lot of the grit and make the rifle somewhat less annoying to shoot. Then I would call it good.
I've a feeling that we're not in Kansas any more, Toto! Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz
Formerly known as FALaholic #55

ExCan

Post by ExCan »

Military Issue Rifle = Military Issue Trigger
A refugee from FalFiles.