FAL click, no bang

Anything and Everything FN/FAL related
Doc_Holiday

FAL click, no bang

Post by Doc_Holiday »

I recently bought an FAL and have discovered an issue with it. It will occasionally go click, no bang.

This happens maybe once a mag. Some times, it won't do it, some times, it'll do it twice. The last time it did it, it did it on the first round after I released the bolt from the catch. The rounds that this happens with do not show a primer strike beyond a shallow little pin prick from being loaded into the chamber. The fired rounds look to have normal firing pin strikes. They're not super deep, but they are also not shallow. The rounds that failed to fire will fire if you pull back the bolt enough to re-cock the action and give it another try.

When it does fail to fire, the trigger pull is normal, and it feels like the hammer is being released and is striking the firing pin.

What could be causing this, and what can I do to fix it? I tried searching the internet for an answer, but most search results were for old threads at FAL Files, which are inaccessible right now.

Thanks!

sigking

Re: FAL click, no bang

Post by sigking »

The next time it doesn't go bang, make sure to pay attention to the bolt carrier and bolt location. Double check that it was in full lock up. Make sure the firing pin channel is clean and not full of dried oil or rust.

That's all I can think right now. It is odd.

Flypaper

Post by Flypaper »

Is there still Cosmo around the firing pin spring? That tends to gum things up.

Doc_Holiday

Post by Doc_Holiday »

I'll open her up and take a look later tonight. It's completely possible that it just needs a good cleaning. I haven't shot it much, only about 3 mags so far. I'll clean it up, and put a few mags through her on Monday and see how she does. Other than this one issue, I love the rifle. The trigger is actually not too bad, and it shoots pretty nicely. I don't think this will be my last FAL.

Thanks guys.

El Trollo Mejor

Post by El Trollo Mejor »

I strongly recommend loading the rifle with ammunition. I've found that it tends to solve the "click, no bang" issue.

AKMStoy

Post by AKMStoy »

If there is a gap after closing it could be bounce back and the rails being rough could be the problem. You don't mention if it's a new DSA or kit build.

If it's a kit gun that didn't get cleaned before assembly cosmoline takes something like gas. A good solvent works. Says the guy that was pissed he went through a ton of oil and bore cleaner trying to brush cosmoline out of a WW2 barrel. Watch out for some of the solvents on plastics. Discoloring or worse can happen. Gas would be the best bet. A jar full of gas might be a good soaking.
Cry havoc let slip the dogs of war

trypcil

Post by trypcil »

What ammo - Malaysian perhaps?

BGARMORY556

Post by BGARMORY556 »

How do the primers look?

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

BGARMORY556 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:57 pm
How do the primers look?
Well, sheeeeit, how would you be able to tell, if you're not gonna read anything in the first place?
Doc_Holiday wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:18 pm
The rounds that this happens with do not show a primer strike beyond a shallow little pin prick from being loaded into the chamber. The fired rounds look to have normal firing pin strikes. They're not super deep, but they are also not shallow. The rounds that failed to fire will fire if you pull back the bolt enough to re-cock the action and give it another try.

tnjeb

Post by tnjeb »

I always shoot some brake cleaner down firing pin hole...Cleans them right up. bet that is your issue, dried grease slowing down firing pin, I've had several Garands do this.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

Doc_Holiday wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:18 pm
It will occasionally go click, no bang.
Very common problem with many GALs.

Sometimes you may think you feel a real "click", but never get a satisfying "bang".

Get used to it bro, it's just part of life :D

1911Ron

Post by 1911Ron »

El Trollo Mejor wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:21 am
I strongly recommend loading the rifle with ammunition. I've found that it tends to solve the "click, no bang" issue.
:lol: :lol:
To slow to run,but I can still shoot pretty good.
Fal convert!

Doc_Holiday

Post by Doc_Holiday »

The ammo is reloaded. It's 7.62 brass with Winchester primers.

I took the bolt out and checked it. I didn't have time to take the firing pin out and clean everything (I will do that tomorrow before I shoot), but the firing pin didn't feel like it was binding or having any issues, and it protruded from the bolt more than enough to get a good strike on a primer.

The gun is a kit build.

I will clean the hell out of everything and lube her back up before I shoot tomorrow. If it happens again, I'll get some pics of everything that going on with the bolt and ammo.

Doc_Holiday

Post by Doc_Holiday »

El Trollo Mejor wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:21 am
Your username checks out. :lol:

Hebrew Battle Rifles

Post by Hebrew Battle Rifles »

Check your firing pin. It may be broken.
There are no such things as enough time, money, or ammo.

AKMStoy

Post by AKMStoy »

Doc_Holiday wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:36 pm
The ammo is reloaded. It's 7.62 brass with Winchester primers.

I took the bolt out and checked it. I didn't have time to take the firing pin out and clean everything (I will do that tomorrow before I shoot), but the firing pin didn't feel like it was binding or having any issues, and it protruded from the bolt more than enough to get a good strike on a primer.

The gun is a kit build.

I will clean the hell out of everything and lube her back up before I shoot tomorrow. If it happens again, I'll get some pics of everything that going on with the bolt and ammo.
Then it's not machine gun primers from surplus ammo.
In the end if its a bad firing pin Sarco for $10 and DSA for a kit for $29.95 that gets you the spring, foring pin and retainer from what it looks like.
I'm hoping it's just gummed up. Not thinking brake cleaner will work. After gassing myself with brake cleaner the dried up cosmoline I was fighting didn't budge. Gas is your best bet. Heard a boiling bath works wonders but eh.
https://dsarms.com/p-16927-dsa-fal-sa58 ... t-kit.aspx

Hebrew Battle Rifles

Post by Hebrew Battle Rifles »

I didn't see where you mentioned the brand of receiver. I have seen some F A L kit builds on mediocre receivers that exhibited hammer drag because of a misaligned or poorly machined hammer groove in the receiver. Check the sides of your hammer for drag marks.
There are no such things as enough time, money, or ammo.

AKMStoy

Post by AKMStoy »

Never never repeat this around women. Some problems of cleaning out gunk can be handled by a dishwasher. But if it is cosmoline scourge good luck.

After field exercises as a private I'd get tasked to clean everyone's rifles. Exercises were every other week for 4 or so days. So burning up in the heat trying to use my method of WD40 and punching the tubes there was one burning day in the heat I noticed a big long black hose frying in the sun outside of the Ft Hood barracks. Being scientifically inclined I saw my savior. Went to the barracks side of the parking lot where the hose was and one at a time sprayed WD40 around locking lugs to drip down the barrel and sprayed inside the upper receiver good. Then the scalding hot hose water to rinse everything out and sprayed the rifles dirt and dust off. Then just lay the rifle of the frying hot sidewalk and on to the next rifle. I never told the guys what I was doing when returning to the motorpool so fast. They really didn't like it when checking their rifles for being dirty and found them spotless.

It's summer and I'd suggest if using that trick try having a cheap concrete mixing tub under the rifle. Never liked those black hoses till that trick. 110 in the shade does something to a guy looking to get a job done quick. Rifles would be dry about as fast as they were sprayed. The water was scalding hot.

I won't suggest a boiling bath in a stainless steel pot because I've never tried that :)

Doc_Holiday

Post by Doc_Holiday »

Ok, so I almost broke a window taking the firing pin out (Probably should not have been standing that close to it, the blinds saved it), but the firing pin looks almost brand new and the spring and hole were pretty clean. I gave them a good scrubbing just to be sure. I could not find a trace of cosmoline in the receiver, but I cleaned and lubed it too.

It was too hot today to stay out for long, but I did end up putting 40 rounds through the gun. I am happy to say that there were no malfunctions. I don't know what caused the issue, or if cleaning fixed it, but it seems to be fine now. I will make sure to get some pics should it happen again.

Thank you fellas for all the help. :)

AKMStoy

Post by AKMStoy »

Could of just been something buggering it up just enough. Thanks for reminding me about the firing pin flying. That rat tail blows my mind.

Maxaks

Post by Maxaks »

If it were me i would replace all the springs
Turn the gas down 1 or 2 in case it's short stroking