Stock recommendations?

Anything and Everything FN/FAL related
That One Guy

Stock recommendations?

Post by That One Guy »

I guess now is a good time to post this, since I’m still awaiting approval for my FAL files account.

I’m new to FAL’s, and picked up an Imbel/Imbel build back around Thanksgiving. It has the DSA X-series furniture on it and I absolutely hate the buttstock, as it grinds my cheek to a pulp. I’m not recoil-adverse at all, but it’s by far the most unpleasant gun to shoot that I own. I have a .416 Rigby that is less punishing to shoot than the FAL. It also has an Enterprise Arms zero climb muzzle brake, which I was told adds to the problem. I bought a Belgian style flash hider that I plan to swap out sooner or later. Hopefully that will help some.

Is there a stock that is more comfortable to shoot, or is that just how it is with FAL’s? I’m partial to wood, but am ok with plastic if that’s what it takes to make it shootable for me.

Gw104

Re: Stock recommendations?

Post by Gw104 »

Have you tried adjusting the gas?

That One Guy

Post by That One Guy »

Gw104 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:31 pm
Have you tried adjusting the gas?
Yeah. Even with the gas wide open, it pops my cheekbone pretty damn hard. I’m curious if it has to do more with the muzzle break than the stock itself...

But I think the stock compounds the problem because I have to bury my cheek so deep into it to be able to see the sights, it just makes it that much worse. And I’ve read other peoples reports of the X-series stock being pretty rough on the cheeks.

ThunderGod

Post by ThunderGod »

Swap that Entreprise barrel whip for a combo brake, and either add a low DSA pad, or replace the X-Stock with a Belgian, STG or Imbel style butt. You'll love the difference.
Have Hammer, Will Smite

Alpha-17

Post by Alpha-17 »

Odd. I've never shot a FAL with an X-stock, so hearing you describe a FAL's recoil as punishing or painful is very odd. I'd definitely recommend swapping out that stock for a regular one, be it polymer or wood.

Mainer

Post by Mainer »

I'd look for an original "humpback" style in good shape it you can find one. The StG style will fit, but for me the Hump is more comfy for shooting. A DSA is OK, but not as sturdy as a milsurp. They can be filled and weighted to give a better feel to them.

For wood, an Ad in the Marketplace may locate one. Member Yellowhand had some originals and is a whiz at restoring them.
Member Flypaper makes genuinely beautiful wood stocks if you want the best.
https://www.falfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... a6724222ef

That One Guy

Post by That One Guy »

Thanks for the suggestions! Once both forums are back up to speed, I'll see if I can get my hands on a different stock.

ThunderGod

Post by ThunderGod »

Alpha-17 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:18 pm
Odd. I've never shot a FAL with an X-stock, so hearing you describe a FAL's recoil as punishing or painful is very odd. I'd definitely recommend swapping out that stock for a regular one, be it polymer or wood.
The Entreprise muzzle device causes the stock to "whip" up at the end of the recoil impulse as it forces the barrel down, and that is "amplified" by the odd angle of the X-stock comb, which gives it an extra inch or so of travel before it slaps your cheekbone. IIRC.
Have Hammer, Will Smite

That One Guy

Post by That One Guy »

ThunderGod wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 am
The Entreprise muzzle device causes the stock to "whip" up at the end of the recoil impulse as it forces the barrel down, and that is "amplified" by the odd angle of the X-stock comb, which gives it an extra inch or so of travel before it slaps your cheekbone. IIRC.
Thank you for describing it better than I could. It's not the rearward recoil that hurts, it's the stock whipping straight up into my cheekbone. 2 full mags leaves me pretty sore for a couple days. It's bad enough that I've never shot more than 3 mags in one session.

trypcil

Post by trypcil »

Amazing how a Trumpet Cone can change the tone, and character - of such!

ThunderGod

Post by ThunderGod »

That One Guy wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:08 pm
ThunderGod wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 am
Thank you for describing it better than I could. It's not the rearward recoil that hurts, it's the stock whipping straight up into my cheekbone. 2 full mags leaves me pretty sore for a couple days. It's bad enough that I've never shot more than 3 mags in one session.
Try a new Belgian/Imbel combo device first to tame the whip, then replace the stock if that does not work to your satisfaction. If it still kicks to wonky, try a different 7.62NATO rifle.
Have Hammer, Will Smite

That One Guy

Post by That One Guy »

The new muzzle device I have for it is actually a Belgian-style combo device. I'm still going to replace the stock regardless, as it's ugly as hell and I want the gun to be a little more traditional looking.

A couple questions while we're on the subject... Are the muzzle threads generally RH or LH? And should I use Rocksett, or something like that when I install the new muzzle device? I know these are probably dumb questions, but I'm new to FAL's and know absolutely nothing about them yet.

Conelrad

Post by Conelrad »

That X-series stock is an abortion. No wonder you hate it.

Get a good old-fashioned FAL stock and be in love.

Conelrad

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

Conelrad wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:11 pm
Tru dat, but I would say it is only 1/3 of his problem. Getting rid of the brake will fix 2/3 of his particular complaint me thinks.

On the previous post (sorry cannot multi-quote posts here) your Imbel should be left hand thread. 9/16'-24 IIRC.

That One Guy

Post by That One Guy »

Invictus77 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:25 pm
Conelrad wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:11 pm
Tru dat, but I would say it is only 1/3 of his problem. Getting rid of the brake will fix 2/3 of his particular complaint me thinks.

On the previous post (sorry cannot multi-quote posts here) your Imbel should be left hand thread. 9/16'-24 IIRC.
Thank you!

bill3542

Post by bill3542 »

My son has a Imbel FAL kit gun that was rebuilt and it has the X-Series furniture on it because the original furniture was trashed.

It does have the original style Belgium flashhider on it and he said about it being rough on his face after a few hundred rounds, he said about wanting a Austrian straight comb stock like on my STG58 but hasn't made up his mind.