NOS Type 3 FN receiver

Anything and Everything FN/FAL related
ismith

NOS Type 3 FN receiver

Post by ismith »

Found a NOS FN receiver! Should I look for NOS parts for it or find a used Belgian kit? Maybe build an Imbel kit on it? Fun problem to have. Anyone have anything interesting kit wise they would be willing to part with?

Eli

Re: NOS Type 3 FN receiver

Post by Eli »

You can probably find NOS G1 parts to finish it out, but won't be cheap! What did it set you back?

Eli

def90

Post by def90 »

Pics or it didn't happen!

ismith

Post by ismith »

Will post up some pics soon.

mp.

Post by mp. »

Nice find.

mrbadshot

Post by mrbadshot »

Was it the one on Gonebroker?....1500. starting bid??

ismith

Post by ismith »

Yep it was!

ismith

Post by ismith »

D_Lehrman

Post by D_Lehrman »

You wasted some real dollars on a whim, without a kit and a nice kit all Belgian you'll never value up to the level needed to justify the acquisition. Congrats. Hope for the best is all I can offer you. Put a set of parts on it and have fun....a total of Parts Kit + Receiver + Finishing you are going to have a hard time making dollars/sense.

My very humble opinion only - but it's free and you can do as foolishly as you choose with it. I've only been doing these since 1984-5.

ismith

Post by ismith »

D_Lehrman wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:58 pm
You wasted some real dollars on a whim, without a kit and a nice kit all Belgian you'll never value up to the level needed to justify the acquisition. Congrats. Hope for the best is all I can offer you. Put a set of parts on it and have fun....a total of Parts Kit + Receiver + Finishing you are going to have a hard time making dollars/sense.

My very humble opinion only - but it's free and you can do as foolishly as you choose with it. I've only been doing these since 1984-5.

I consider it money well wasted.

D_Lehrman

Post by D_Lehrman »

Good on you then you must have laid a plan. Makes an expensive but uncollectible shooter/keeper. I've done one or two myself....but I held the parts before buying in for the whole ride.

Don't suppose you'd be in least interested in a 97%+ 50.63 Belgian parts kit??? Ooooops, wrong receiver cuts for that one, sorry.

ismith

Post by ismith »

Thanks, but I prefer the 50.61.

Yuri Bezmenov

Post by Yuri Bezmenov »

WTF is this total snobbery BS? Shitting all over a guy for having enough cash to drop on what is probably the nicest receiver one could hope to acquire to build a rifle on? Internet gun forums never cease to amaze.

Build that thing how you like it, OP. I'm sure it will make a fine rifle. I wasn't building rifles when Ronald Reagan was still in office, but in my limited experience, most rifles that are built from parts kits by rarely recoup all the money you have dumped into it should you decide to sell it. That's just part of the hobby, IMO. Since we have to deal with things like 922(r), import bans, etc., you have to play the hand you are dealt in order to put together these rifles we otherwise would have zero chance of ever acquiring. A legit NOS FN Type 3 is the best you could ever hope to do in terms of a receiver to build a rifle on. Congratulations on your purchase.

D_Lehrman

Post by D_Lehrman »

Stick around a bit pal. It's no better than an imported Imbel and the only real perceived value difference you are running on is in the engraving/roll stamping and name on the side. Period. Buy em' all...no diff.

ismith

Post by ismith »

D_Lehrman wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:50 pm
Stick around a bit pal. It's no better than an imported Imbel and the only real perceived value difference you are running on is in the engraving/roll stamping and name on the side. Period. Buy em' all...no diff.
So if you had the option to buy two Imbel receivers or a FN receiver for the same price, you would buy the Imbels? Awesome, I’m happy for you. Why are you worried about what I do with my gun budget?

Yuri Bezmenov

Post by Yuri Bezmenov »

ismith wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:02 pm
D_Lehrman wrote:
So if you had the option to buy two Imbel receivers or a FN receiver for the same price, you would buy the Imbels? Awesome, I’m happy for you. Why are you worried about what I do with my gun budget?
Because he's a cranky old man with nothing better to do, apparently.

Yuri Bezmenov

Post by Yuri Bezmenov »

D_Lehrman wrote:
Yeah this is like saying "The only REAL difference between an Anderson and a Colt AR lower is the engraving".

meltblown

Post by meltblown »

Enjoy. It's your money. Try to find a good kit.

I just spent about that much for a set of cams, pistons and jugs for my motorcycle. When I install the value of the bike will probably go down. Older friend of mine is telling me I'm screwing up just like Lehrman. I don't care. I'll get a lot of fun out of installing and then riding.
Last edited by meltblown on Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yuri Bezmenov

Post by Yuri Bezmenov »

The members here who think paying a bunch of money for an actual FN receiver in NOS condition is "wasting dollars" are probably the same folks who think that actually paying a person to put a boiled linseed oil finish on a wood stock - a job even a literal retard with a five dollar can of oil from Lowe's can do - is "money well spent".

quicksilver1+

Post by quicksilver1+ »

Its his money and his to do with whatever. Why is it anyone cares. I say build what you want its called freedom.

def90

Post by def90 »

I will only add that it's well known around here that a FAL built from a parts kit in general is worth less than the sum of it's parts.

Curious as to how an FN receiver became available, not sure they were ever sold as receivers only, it's a shame that an original rifle was somehow destroyed.

def90

Post by def90 »

Yuri Bezmenov wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:16 pm
D_Lehrman wrote:
Yeah this is like saying "The only REAL difference between an Anderson and a Colt AR lower is the engraving".
Imbel is an FN licensed manufacturer and FN actually sourced parts from Imbel towards the end of the production of the FAL. Your comparison is a joke.

meltblown

Post by meltblown »

def90 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:33 pm
I will only add that it's well known around here that a FAL built from a parts kit in general is worth less than the sum of it's parts.

Curious as to how an FN receiver became available, not sure they were ever sold as receivers only, it's a shame that an original rifle was somehow destroyed.
Yep and yep.

ismith

Post by ismith »

Judging from the serial number, it’s a replacement receiver.

Yuri Bezmenov

Post by Yuri Bezmenov »

def90 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:42 pm
Yuri Bezmenov wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:16 pm
D_Lehrman wrote:
Imbel is an FN licensed manufacturer and FN actually sourced parts from Imbel towards the end of the production of the FAL. Your comparison is a joke.
Yeah this is like saying, "All the AR companies use the same aluminum castings!".

A legit FN will always be more desirable than an IMBEL. Some nugget of information like what you are spouting only known by 0.0001% of FAL enthusiasts who frequent this nursing home of a forum isn't going to change that.