Need a list of the 3 most common LS sizes FALS h/space to

Anything and Everything FN/FAL related
EinheitElfV2

Need a list of the 3 most common LS sizes FALS h/space to

Post by EinheitElfV2 »

Hey guys, i am going to try having some barrel installs and headspacing done quasi locally since i dont wat to mail stuff off for getting it worked on at this time.
I was wondering if there are 2,3 locking shoulder sizes that i can buy and have a decent 1 in 3 chance of headspace being right?

The guy has the capability to machine a LS to the correct size if it is OS. I have to wait there for the work to be done and would like to bring couple with me. He does not normally have locking shoulders in stock.

Any pointers would be great.
Thx in advance! :mrgreen:

Mainer

Re: Need a list of the 3 most common LS sizes FALS h/space to

Post by Mainer »

Buy the biggest ones you can find.
Normally, or ideally, a FAL will take a .259" to .261" or close to it. In real life, it can be anywhere
from .245" (DSA funky receiver trick) to .270". Haven't heard of any over that.

I have one at .253" and another at .266", with several others at .257", .259" and .261"

Depends on what combination of barrels, bolts and receivers you use and their respective condition.

Flypaper

Post by Flypaper »

I just ordered a .272 for a BGS run enterprise receiver with a DSA bayo lug barrel. :shock:

mp.

Post by mp. »

Too many variables to give you those numbers. My last batch of Coonans with Belgian/Imbel/SA barrels were in the .252-.254 range. My last DSA’s were .262-.264.

EinheitElfV2

Post by EinheitElfV2 »

Thx guys...guess i will sit down,look at all your numbers and figure what sizes to buy....not like i cant sell them in mp if not used.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

Pushing actual locking shoulder in and out to check headspace is not a good idea on many levels.

Buy pin gauges for that purpose. They will also resell well, and cost well under a $25 each locking shoulder.

allesennogwat

Post by allesennogwat »

The Belgian FAL's varied a lot.

The Austrian-made STG-58's have deeper barrel chamber and much more consistent in size, with small variations and thicker locking shoulders than the Belgian-made rifles.

The Belgian barrels have less case support, shorter chambers, with thinner locking shoulders and greater variation in size from one rifle to the next.

The Austrian barrels have deeper chambers, more case support, with thicker locking shoulders and much less variation from one rifle to the next.

Mainer

Post by Mainer »

Invictus77 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:22 pm
Pushing actual locking shoulder in and out to check headspace is not a good idea on many levels.

Buy pin gauges for that purpose. They will also resell well, and cost well under a $25 each locking shoulder.
Some real GOOD advice given there. The Locking Shoulder goes in ONCE. The correct LS is determined by the use of pin gauges as Invictus said. Changing Lock Shoulders frequently means a next step larger shaft size.

I believe Gunthings.com has a set consisting of even numbered gauges. For all sizes try MSC Industrial Supply. The relatively cheap imported gauges are more than accurate enough for headspacing an FAL.

chefbeef

Post by chefbeef »

I would build it out then see what locking should size you need and buy it. I have built plenty of them and depending on the receiver they are all over the place. You will not find an average size, or you can be like me I have and have about 20 of them all different sizes.

EinheitElfV2

Post by EinheitElfV2 »

I was not going to be pushing them in and out,just wanted to take 2,3 to cover possibly the common sizes. The guy does custom barrel work and also ak,ar,etc...a member here,ff or ak, suggested him,he is about 60mi away and i would be waiting qhile he would be barreling, timing,aligning the sights and measuring hs. He does not stock locking shoulders but does have machinery to adjust the LS.
The fals i would be doing are an all original poop rhodie on a DSA R1 receiver, a rhodie para on a PAC Imbel(that has been a bit abused -cut for inch folding ch and some contour machining to try making it inch looking.. all inportant bits are 'op' or 'um' stamped, not sanitized..

Last may be a beater para on a cai coonan unibrow receiver that actually seems to go together well except the barrel threads are a bit bizarre,only had 1 metric barrel that hand screwed in no prob(sold it with a kit stupid me),all others stop about 1,2turns in. Tried an izzy stub but it stops also.....sooo not sure but need threads chased or something

meltblown

Post by meltblown »

Well considering headspace is .004 spread from go to no go, .256, .260 and .264 might be an option or .254, .258 and .262. If he has a decent grinder then get .264 and grind it.