L2A1 wood matching advice?

Anything and Everything FN/FAL related
Briar

L2A1 wood matching advice?

Post by Briar »

looking for advice on matching aussie buttstock and pistol grip wood color to the bipod wood.
BS and PG are NOS bare wood and the bipod has its NOS factory finish.
Prefer not to just jump in with both feet and do trial and error if possible.

Hoping those who have been there and done that can provide some insight and guidance

TIA,
B

Invictus77

Re: L2A1 wood matching advice?

Post by Invictus77 »

Member yellowhand is the resident expert on this topic. If he does not chime in here, wait a few days until the board is back up and he has several good tutorials already posted.

Alternatively, I you are not comfortable with DIY, he will make them beautiful for a nominal price.

Briar

Post by Briar »

excellent, thanks.

yellowhand

Post by yellowhand »

The easier way to do this, is to strip off the existing finish on the bi-pod wood, then dye all the wood to the same color and shade, then oil with four or five coats of oil, all done, for nos wood.
Trying to perfectly match the NOS butt and grip to the finished bi-pod wood panels, is a hit or miss, mostly miss, proposition,
If I can be of any help, drop me an email though here.
Having all nos pieces for a set, kinda rare today, sounds like it's going to make one nice looking set for your rifle.

def90

Post by def90 »

The factory finish of all these parts is a dunk in creosote and hung to dry and then a dunk in Boiled Linseed Oil and hung to dry. Doing an oil finish on your NOS buttstock and Pistol grip should be all you need. The parts will likely be off a bit but that's how they came from the factory.

Briar

Post by Briar »

Solid advice you two, I'll do 4-5 coats of oil on the BS and PG, then decide if I want to strip the bipod panels
Worst case scenario, I'd rather try to match them to the BS than the BS to them.

thank you :-)

def90

Post by def90 »

One issue you are going to have is that the bipod is likely Canadian in origin and will be walnut while the NOS Aussie buttstock and PG will be coachwood. Two different woods which are going to have a slightly different look to them.

Briar

Post by Briar »

I have an extra NOS pistol grip so I thought i would experiment on it.

One coat of raw linseed oil, then two coats of Chestnut Ridge Military Walnut stain is practically spot on.
It's got the warm red hue that I needed.

very satisfactory :)