Are DSA barrels worth it?

Anything and Everything FN/FAL related
MightBeABot

Are DSA barrels worth it?

Post by MightBeABot »

I'm considering getting a DSA 21" traditional profile barrel for my Izzy build, but I'm balking slightly at the price tag. They're gone now, but Apex had "good" condition Steyr barrels a few days ago for about half the price and I was wondering if I should look for something like that instead. My concern was the "good" label, considering the wide variety of different meanings that has on different websites.

This is my first FAL, and I care more about shootability than collectability. That said, I don't want to go off the deep end and create some monstrosity that is totally unfaithful to the original. Any and all advice is welcome.

Invictus77

Re: Are DSA barrels worth it?

Post by Invictus77 »

The the best of my knowledge, all Steyr barrels are bi-pod cut which is incorrect for an Izzy, regardless of muzzle configuration.

For pure shootability however, Steyr is generally thought to be one of the best and most accurate barrels.

MightBeABot

Post by MightBeABot »

Invictus77 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:41 pm
The the best of my knowledge, all Steyr barrels are bi-pod cut which is incorrect for an Izzy, regardless of muzzle configuration.

For pure shootability however, Steyr is generally thought to be one of the best and most accurate barrels.
I didn't realize about the incorrect cut, thanks.

I know Steyr barrels are "the best", but I was concerned about the *good* classification. I have bought "good" firearms that suck (pitted barrels, a ton of rust, etc.), and others that are great except for some finish wear. I guess my dilemma is in choosing a brand new, expensive barrel that is just alright vs a cheaper surplus barrel that could be either better or worse.

4markk

Post by 4markk »

Imbel barrels are good shooters as well. And more correct for a late model IZZY.

However, I'll put another plug in for Steyr, my best shooter is a StG 58 replacement barrel.

I was hoping with all the DSA IZZY barrels out there now, someone would post some results as to how well they shoot. Either I missed it or no one has done it yet.

TacoCat

Post by TacoCat »

4markk wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:13 pm
Imbel barrels are good shooters as well. And more correct for a late model IZZY.

However, I'll put another plug in for Steyr, my best shooter is a StG 58 replacement barrel.

I was hoping with all the DSA IZZY barrels out there now, someone would post some results as to how well they shoot. Either I missed it or no one has done it yet.
Do you know if the Israeli gas block and handguards would fit on an Imbel barrel okay? I'm putting one together too, just need to find a barel once I know what to look for. Thanks.

MightBeABot

Post by MightBeABot »

On that note, does anybody have a good source for non-DSA barrels?

4markk

Post by 4markk »

TacoCat wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:00 am
4markk wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:13 pm

Do you know if the Israeli gas block and handguards would fit on an Imbel barrel okay? I'm putting one together too, just need to find a barel once I know what to look for. Thanks.
It should and yes.

Although the journals on the gasblock are somewhat standard, some have stretched and therefore may or may not fit tightly on a barrel.

All the handguards are standard (except for the FN or Aussie FALO), so the handguards should fit.