Izzy kits 299.00 at PSA

Anything and Everything FN/FAL related
blkadder

Re: Izzy kits 299.00 at PSA

Post by blkadder »

ismith wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:06 am
I can only think of one reason to carve notches on a stock, what does the lower receiver look like?
Since I cleaned up the stock they are not as visible, but in the sun you can pick them up pretty clearly. As for the lower, it is in what I think is pretty good shape. Lots of wear, but the controls seem to work great. I am taking the stock off in the morning and try to clean it up a bit better.
I have removed so much dirt from this kit that I think there is enough for the Israelis to build a settlement. (joking, joking)

I will upload the pics tomorrow.
Ron
...Semper Fidelis...

ismith

Post by ismith »

blkadder wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:04 am
ismith wrote:
I can only think of one reason to carve notches on a stock, what does the lower receiver look like?
Since I cleaned up the stock they are not as visible, but in the sun you can pick them up pretty clearly. As for the lower, it is in what I think is pretty good shape. Lots of wear, but the controls seem to work great. I am taking the stock off in the morning and try to clean it up a bit better.
I have removed so much dirt from this kit that I think there is enough for the Israelis to build a settlement. (joking, joking)

I had some luck boiling a Turked G1 stock that I figured was a lost cause. I dried it in the oven and raw tung oiled the hell out of it. That was European walnut though, not sure how Israeli beech would take that treatment.

grahamneall

Post by grahamneall »

ismith wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:28 am
blkadder wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:04 am
ismith wrote:

I had some luck boiling a Turked G1 stock that I figured was a lost cause. I dried it in the oven and raw tung oiled the hell out of it. That was European walnut though, not sure how Israeli beech would take that treatment.

Dawn Soap Liquid with a stiff brush will remove most of the surface grime.
if you want to strip it to bare wood, use Oxalic Acid...2 tabel spoons in a quart of hot water and let it sit there.
If you don't want to strip to bare wood, give it a good sanding starting with 220 or 300 grit sandpaper, then go to 400 & 800 grit to get a nice smooth finish.The 220 grit will remove the deeper grime.
Do the same if you have stripped it.
After drying if you have stripped it, start your Tung Oil process, using 'PURE' Tung Oil.
For the first coat, mix the Tung Oil with either Mineral Spirits or Turpentine 50/50.
The wood will soak it up really fast.....apply liberally.
After the Tung oil has been applied, wait about 40 minutes & wipe off any excess.
I wait a minimum of 24 hours between coats of 'PURE" Tung Oil.
It has to Polymerize (harden) between costs...you can tell by touch if it's ready for the next coat.
I use 0000 Steel Wool between coats, unless you want a really shiny finish.
The Steel Wool knocks the Sheen back and will leave you the Military/BFPU appearance.
I apply a minimum of 8 coats of Tung Oil.
Wear Latex Gloves when applying the Tung Oil, or you won't get the smell out of your hands.
You local paint store will have bags of 100% pure cotton wipes to apply with.
(The Real Milk Paint Co. has great products, Pure Tung Oil & Oxalic Acid).
Graham.

blkadder

Post by blkadder »

Okay, I can't get my pics to show up. Probably going to change them over to the black furniture if I can't get the wood stuff to hold together. The wood is kind of coming apart where the butt plate is. Maybe I can get some epoxy sealer on it.
Ron
...Semper Fidelis...

jam762

Post by jam762 »

blkadder wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:57 pm
Okay, I can't get my pics to show up. Probably going to change them over to the black furniture if I can't get the wood stuff to hold together. The wood is kind of coming apart where the butt plate is. Maybe I can get some epoxy sealer on it.
Reach out to yellowhand for all your wood needs.

yellowhand

Post by yellowhand »

blkadder wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:57 pm
???????
Send me a pm and I'll send along my email address to you for pictures and advice.
Like building rifles, FALs, which I can't and don't, seek out someone that does and can. ;)
If I can be of help, will be happy too.....

SmokeEater2

Post by SmokeEater2 »

What's everyone using for US parts on these? Off the top of my pointy head I can only think of-
DSA receiver
DSA barrel
USA PG
DSA gas piston

The only other US parts I can think of are USA HTS and I've never been too fond of them.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

SmokeEater2 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:51 pm
What's everyone using for US parts on these?
Only by accident, never on purpose. Why?

munchoman

Post by munchoman »

SmokeEater2 wrote:
What's everyone using for US parts on these? Off the top of my pointy head I can only think of-
DSA receiver
DSA barrel
USA PG
DSA gas piston

The only other US parts I can think of are USA HTS and I've never been too fond of them.
mag is 3 parts, no hider reduce count by one

SmokeEater2

Post by SmokeEater2 »

munchoman wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:58 pm
SmokeEater2 wrote:
DSA receiver
DSA barrel
USA PG
DSA gas piston

mag is 3 parts, no hider reduce count by one

Thanks! I forgot about the mags and I'm not using the muzzle weight.

grahamneall

Post by grahamneall »

Invictus77 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:57 pm
SmokeEater2 wrote:
I've never seen a 922r Police Officer ??
In my area, they're more concerned about watering your yard on the wrong day !!

SmokeEater2

Post by SmokeEater2 »

grahamneall wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:56 am
Invictus77 wrote:
SmokeEater2 wrote:

Yeah yeah I get it. But if someone was sending a kit to a FALsmith to be built and finished is the smith going to have the same attitude about 922 as the cool kids?

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

SmokeEater2 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:05 am
grahamneall wrote:
Invictus77 wrote:

Yeah yeah I get it. But if someone was sending a kit to a FALsmith to be built and finished is the smith going to have the same attitude about 922 as the cool kids?
As I understand it (I could be wrong), but as I understand it.....

If you are a home builder it does not apply.
If you send a "smith" the receiver and the kit to assemble, it does not apply.
If you send a kit to the "smith" to assemble on a receiver that he supplied, then yes.
The "smith" supplying a receiver means he is then a "manufacturer" (an 07?) and it does apply.

More knowledgeable folks can set me straight as needed (and please do), but this is my understanding of the legalities of 922.

hkshooter

Post by hkshooter »

Invictus77 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:18 am
SmokeEater2 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:05 am
grahamneall wrote:

If you send a kit to the "smith" to assemble on a receiver that he supplied, then yes.
The "smith" supplying a receiver means he is then a "manufacturer" (an 07?) and it does apply.

More knowledgeable folks can set me straight as needed (and please do), but this is my understanding of the legalities of 922.
Pretty much how I understand it, too.

swedishmauser

Post by swedishmauser »

A good explanation of 922(r) can be found at gun university.com: “Understanding 922R Compliance” by Ryan Cleckner (9-14-19).

grahamneall

Post by grahamneall »

Invictus:
I believe you are correct.
Mark Graham would be the best to clarify.
I know he doesn't care one way or another, if you are providing the Receiver....basically, it's none of his business how you want it built.

farmerbob

Post by farmerbob »

Got my kit today very happy with it wood was in great shape no chips or cracks. SN on the lower no place else. think I will leave the wood like it is gives it that been around look now on the list for a bbl and upper
FB

rigore

Post by rigore »

Received the second kit today and all parts are there with the exception of the Gas Tube Retainer Pin, maybe it's stuck in another part. The finish is much better than the first, wood is dirty but in good shape.

The one thing that is throwing me is the handguards, color wise they look the same but the metal is of a different pattern. Anyone know if there were different handguards, the metal portion.

Right Side

Left Side

I did find this image from SARCO but it appears to be described incorrectly:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-68ehg8c ... 00.jpg?c=2

PolishX

Post by PolishX »

So I can get this barrel and have it work with the izzy light hardware correct?
https://www.dsarms.com/p-17222-dsa-fal- ... alled.aspx

PolishX

Post by PolishX »

No response ?

def90

Post by def90 »

PolishX wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:27 pm
No response ?
The regular FALFiles board is back up and running again so it's not likely that there is anyone looking at this temporary board anymore.

The barrel should work. You will need to replace the gasblock with the gasblock that is in the Isareli kit. A couple people have ended up with Israeli gasblocks that are oversized and are loose on a regular barrel which may require the barrel journal to be knurled or some other method to be used to get a tight fit.