Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:52 pm
Hand guard spacer ring....maybe ?
does it otherwise look good?

Rastajacob

Re: Izzy kits 299.00 at PSA

Post by Rastajacob »

BE482274-9166-4128-9AEA-F3D62059DEC0.jpeg
BE482274-9166-4128-9AEA-F3D62059DEC0.jpeg (96.25 KiB) Viewed 4502 times
Here is mine, just received it, pulled it out of the box and snapped photos...first kit ever, I think it’s all here mostly? Overall, I’m fairly pleased. Glad that I ordered a second kit now...
Attachments
DDF6083D-DAC8-4B76-AD83-AA9875392304.jpeg
DDF6083D-DAC8-4B76-AD83-AA9875392304.jpeg (88.99 KiB) Viewed 4502 times

def90

Post by def90 »

FNG13 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:45 pm
Couple questions...

1. My kit appears to be missing 1 of 2 aluminum handguard rings that go around the the gas tube. Is there a good place to get a 2nd one or will 1 be sufficient?

2. Is the gas tube pin a standard size? Meaning could I just order a gas tube pin from DSA, or there a specific size for Israeli kits? So far I think that's all I'm missing, but I really need to find a good schematic for these, especially for the gas block itself.

Also I ordered 7 mags from PSA and they are all rusty as hell. They are going to take a lot of work to clean up and likely they'll need at least new springs and I'll probably end up sand blasting and painting them.
They only use one ring.

JR

Post by JR »

I think my kit came with two different styles of hand guards. I think one is newer than the other. One of them is more orange and dished screw holes while the other one is darker brown with just a straight drill hole. Is this common for these handguards?

koobek

Post by koobek »

Received my Izzy Kit from PSA today.

As expected, all externals were beat to heck.
The wood is totally oil soaked and beat up the handguard has next to no serrations.

They will be be good fire starters for my survival kit.
I’ll just have to find someone with a nice set of Izzy furniture.

I can say that the internals don’t seem to have as much wear. Thank goodness that it included the bolt and carrier, but the were unmarked.

No muzzle device was included.

Oh well, You get what You pay for in this instance.....
We’re not in the early 2000’s in the “ FAL Heyday” anymore.

Who knows when DS Arms will ever make barrels available again.....

SmokeEater2

Post by SmokeEater2 »

koobek wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:00 am
Received my Izzy Kit from PSA today.

As expected, all externals were beat to heck.
The wood is totally oil soaked and beat up the handguard has next to no serrations.

They will be be good fire starters for my survival kit.
I’ll just have to find someone with a nice set of Izzy furniture.

I can say that the internals don’t seem to have as much wear. Thank goodness that it included the bolt and carrier, but the were unmarked.

No muzzle device was included.

Oh well, You get what You pay for in this instance.....
We’re not in the early 2000’s in the “ FAL Heyday” anymore.

Who knows when DS Arms will ever make barrels available again.....
What type is your lower?

TraFALgar

Post by TraFALgar »

JR wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:29 pm
I just received my Izzy kit and I’d like you guys to look at it and tell me if I’m missing anything. I also am wondering why the hand guards look different. Not only the color is off but the drill holes are different as well.
https://imgur.com/gallery/LCE4YBL
Looks like you got almost what you should. Israeli FALs, except for the very early contract rifles, should have a forward assist charging handle, instead of the kind you have. Can't tell if you got a gas tube pin; if not, it's easy enough to find something to replace it. I've heard it was standard to have only 1 "donut" spacer around the gas tube, but lots of guys think the handguard looks incomplete w/o 2 spacers. Your kit doesn't have a flash hider/combo device, but that was a later addition and many Izzy's had lugged barrels w/o muzzle threads.

Your left-hand handguard wood without the plastic inserts in the screw holes is an early version; mismatched RHS handguard is a later version. Half of the handguard could have been a field replacement or they could have been mixed up during the de-mil processing. You could probably find someone else here with a mismatched set that would trade with you.

BTW if you want to clean up that dark oil-soaked stock, I found that repeated applications of undiluted Purple Power cleaner will suck that oil out better than anything else I tried.
Last edited by TraFALgar on Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

def90

Post by def90 »

JR wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:35 pm
I think my kit came with two different styles of hand guards. I think one is newer than the other. One of them is more orange and dished screw holes while the other one is darker brown with just a straight drill hole. Is this common for these handguards?
The darker brown side is an older version.

Rastajacob

Post by Rastajacob »

Upon inspection of my kit above, I believe I’m missing the gas tube (for starters). As I keep watching vids and reading the responses here, I think I’ll be able to round up what I need for this kit at least. Next one should be here by the weekend...additionally, I have what appears to be an early lower since it has the vertical takedown lever? Haven’t seen too many of those on the pics y’all have posted...

def90

Post by def90 »

Rastajacob wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:37 am
Upon inspection of my kit above, I believe I’m missing the gas tube (for starters). As I keep watching vids and reading the responses here, I think I’ll be able to round up what I need for this kit at least. Next one should be here by the weekend...additionally, I have what appears to be an early lower since it has the vertical takedown lever? Haven’t seen too many of those on the pics y’all have posted...
The gas tube is in your photo right underneath the top cover. You do not have an early lower, at least early in terms of anything special, you just have a vertical take down lever vs a horizontal.

koobek

Post by koobek »

Hi, Smoke Eater2

I don’t know what type of lower that I received.
I will post a picture soon and ask You all Your opinion.

Ordered 5 of their Izzy Mags, and another Izzy FAL Kit, so well see what happens.
I’m glad to share and glean from all of Your cumulative knowledge based on this Subject.

Thanks for all of Your help out there,
Barrett

kev

Post by kev »

Rastajacob wrote:
The only thing I'm not seeing is the female half of the pivot pin but it's probably still stuck in the pivot section of the demilled receiver.

Rastajacob

Post by Rastajacob »

def90 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:04 am
Rastajacob wrote:
The gas tube is in your photo right underneath the top cover. You do not have an early lower, at least early in terms of anything special, you just have a vertical take down lever vs a horizontal.
Thank you kindly ! I looked at that part and it looked like it was cut so I purchased another just to be safe. Thank you again, however !

Rastajacob

Post by Rastajacob »

kev wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:48 am
Rastajacob wrote:
The only thing I'm not seeing is the female half of the pivot pin but it's probably still stuck in the pivot section of the demilled receiver.
You are probably right. I just pulled it out of the box and plastic, snapped two pics and then put it away until I can clean it up tomorrow.

SmokeEater2

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I started cleaning up the second kit and I can't get the butt stock to budge off the lower a bit. :x Gonna' take some time and what patience I have left I guess.

I posted earlier that I received a DSA Izzy receiver yesterday but I don't know where the post went so.... I'd heard that DSA had sent out some less than stellar receivers from time to time so I was a little leery about what I'd get.

It's very nice finish wise and an Imbel barrel hand timed properly. All the lower receiver parts,mag release etc. fit correctly, No carrier binding and the locking shoulder dog bone cut appears to be deep enough.

I wish I could figure out a way to color match the receiver and barrel to the lower and other parts nice greenish park. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

grahamneall

Post by grahamneall »

Stock Removal:
Mine was tight, took a wood dowel and gently tapped on the back of the Metal Stock Ferrule.....little by little it budged without damage to the Ferrule.

Wood Cleansing:
Cleaned my Wood with Dawn Soap, if it's good enough for Oil Ridden Sea Birds, it's good enough for Izzy wood. Just a stiff brush and some elbow grease. Following, I lightly Sanded with 320 grit paper, that seemed to remove left over grease/grime, deeper in the grain. I then finished it with 600 & 800 grit to smooth out the wood. There were no major dents or dings, just a few whisky bumps, so I decided not to steam those out, wanted to keep the BFPU look.
I've started the final finish with Pure Tung Oil...expecting to put 6 or 8 coats on, with a buff of 0000 Steel Wool between coats, so it doesn't get to shiny (maintain both the Military and BFPU look).

Kit Issues:
For whatever reason, I have a Forward Assist Cut Imbel Bolt Carrier (found a FN - Izzy Contract immediately on GB) What a Lucky find that was !!
Missing Regulator Spring...no biggie, have 4 or 5 in my Parts Bin.
Only one (1) HG Spacer Ring, no big deal (supposed to be that way, I believe ?).
One of the Hand Guards is cracked between the Mounting Screw on either end. Currently have it glued, then will Dremel a 1/2" radii along the cut and glue a 1/2" wood dowel, which I have cut into quarters, glue and clamp in place, then Dremel smooth to the inside of the HG. (per YellowHand advice)

On the good side:
I'm generally happy with what I got.
The metal is in good condition, definitely used, just needs a good de-greasing.
Came with Combo Device.
I got two (2) Gas Tubes.
Lot's of Izzy Proofs.

Hoping my 2nd kit is like this, no major problems & maybe the correct Bolt Carrier ??
Graham.
Last edited by grahamneall on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lockjaw

Post by lockjaw »

JR wrote:
I just received my Izzy kit and I’d like you guys to look at it and tell me if I’m missing anything. I also am wondering why the hand guards look different. Not only the color is off but the drill holes are different as well.
Nice looking kit, I would have been pleased. When I ordered mine, I did so with the expectation that the wood would have been junk... better to be surprised than disappointed.

When the main forum finally hits, I expect that there will be some bartering to match handguards ect...

lockjaw

Post by lockjaw »

I purchased two kits, and happy with both. Both were complete with FN pattern muzzle devices, which was nice, as they were hard to come by previously (wrench flat centered). The only parts were missing was a loop for one of the stocks, and a gas tube pin. Not a single serial number anywhere to be found on both kits. Both later later take down levers. FN marked carriers, unsure of bolt origin, both bolts use spring style ejectors. Type II lowers, no internal lightening cuts. Type C stocks on both. One kit had a LB charging handle, the other HB.

One kits had exhibited little external wear, with the exception of the wood (still serviceable and worth a little TLC). Of course, covered in grease and grime. The bolt face in the black, with minor exterior wear.

The other kit definitely had a been there, done that look, and had been fired quite a bit. The wood on one handguard is trash, though the metal will be good for a donor. Stock is decent, with surface rust on the metal, boogered screws and missing sling loop (other hardware present).

*** Out of curiosity, has anyone received a "typical" two piece extractor in their bolt? So far, it looks like they are all use earlier style extractors with paperclip looking spring.

TacticalMallNinja

Post by TacticalMallNinja »

Received my Hebrew marked DSA receiver.

Finish is great although doesn’t match the painted Izzy parts very well. Fitment is great, mag well is perfect, mag release and bolt hold open went in perfectly fine. Fit between the Izzy lower and DSA upper is perfect and super tight with zero slop. Gun should be an absolute shooter.

Boyscout775

Post by Boyscout775 »

lockjaw wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:00 am
I purchased two kits, and happy with both. Both were complete with FN pattern muzzle devices, which was nice, as they were hard to come by previously (wrench flat centered). The only parts were missing was a loop for one of the stocks, and a gas tube pin. Not a single serial number anywhere to be found on both kits. Both later later take down levers. FN marked carriers, unsure of bolt origin, both bolts use spring style ejectors. Type II lowers, no internal lightening cuts. Type C stocks on both. One kit had a LB charging handle, the other HB.

One kits had exhibited little external wear, with the exception of the wood (still serviceable and worth a little TLC). Of course, covered in grease and grime. The bolt face in the black, with minor exterior wear.

The other kit definitely had a been there, done that look, and had been fired quite a bit. The wood on one handguard is trash, though the metal will be good for a donor. Stock is decent, with surface rust on the metal, boogered screws and missing sling loop (other hardware present).

*** Out of curiosity, has anyone received a "typical" two piece extractor in their bolt? So far, it looks like they are all use earlier style extractors with paperclip looking spring.
I got a 2 piece on my second kit. First kit has FN proofed bolt and carrier with markings where they milled off the serial numbers on both of them. I'm assuming this one was an earlier gun where FN made the majority of the larger pieces and milled off the serial numbers. Second kit has no markings and no serial number on the carrier, but the bolt has FN proofs and no serial number. First kit had 1 piece extractor, second kit had 2 piece.

Tattered

Post by Tattered »

I received a bolt with the two piece extractor in my kit. It was unserialed like all the others and had the typical FN proofs.

lockjaw

Post by lockjaw »

It would be interesting to see what proof marks people are finding on their bolts and carriers.... especially the bolts.

riversidesports

Post by riversidesports »

def90 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:15 pm
riversidesports wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:42 am
def90 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:59 pm

No they aren't, they were once installed on a machine gun thus they are not importable period.

Here is the text of the ban, barrels for any firearm that would not be importable as assembled would not be legal to import. There is no legally importable version of a FAL so there are no legally importable barrels.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... IcYZFUqnDI

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has determined that the language of 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3) permits no exceptions that would allow frames, receivers or barrels for otherwise non-importable firearms to be imported into the United States. Accordingly, ATF will no longer approve ATF Form 6 applications for importation of any frames, receivers, or barrels for firearms that would be prohibited from importation if assembled. No exceptions to the statutory language, for example for “repair or replacement” of existing firearms, will be allowed."
your interpetation is inaccurate

Bowman was allowed to import NOS SG43 MG bbls so long as you completed a form they were to be used on a sporting arm

whats problematic is availability of NOS bbls
and goofs writing poor letters
it CAN be done and is
Feel free to prove me wrong, there are photos of warehouses in South Africa full of FAL barrels and parts floating around out there. I’m sure those guys would be happy to make a big sale to the only guy that knows how to make it happen.
The FACT that is has been done with NOS barrels for a belt fed MG proves it is doable def
seem to recall Bob got in multiple shipments of those and at least one shipment of NOS MG53 barrels

not sure the issue with the SA inventory you mentioned
could be as simple as they want too much money to make it viable once you add in the transit costs from South Africa

JR

Post by JR »

TraFALgar wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:05 am
JR wrote:
Looks like you got almost what you should. Israeli FALs, except for the very early contract rifles, should have a forward assist charging handle, instead of the kind you have. Can't tell if you got a gas tube pin; if not, it's easy enough to find something to replace it. I've heard it was standard to have only 1 "donut" spacer around the gas tube, but lots of guys think the handguard looks incomplete w/o 2 spacers. Your kit doesn't have a flash hider/combo device, but that was a later addition and many Izzy's had lugged barrels w/o muzzle threads.

Your left-hand handguard wood without the plastic inserts in the screw holes is an early version; mismatched RHS handguard is a later version. Half of the handguard could have been a field replacement or they could have been mixed up during the de-mil processing. You could probably find someone else here with a mismatched set that would trade with you.

BTW if you want to clean up that dark oil-soaked stock, I found that repeated applications of undiluted Purple Power cleaner will suck that oil out better than anything else I tried.
If I ever wanted to get a forward assist charging handle for my gun is it possible?

SmokeEater2

Post by SmokeEater2 »

My third kit got here today and I got lucky again. All parts are present although very dirty and the wood on the stock and HG's look to be in very good shape. I was hoping I'd win the lottery and get a type A or B stock but it's a C. ;)

The bolt and carrier show more use than the other kits but the other metal parts show less use, I think maybe a bolt from another rifle might have gotten tossed in with this kit. Serial number is milled off the bolt but FN proof marks remain.

No serial number on the lower that I can find. I'm happy (again) with the kit I got for 300 bucks. Good deal in my opinion.

The first kit I got is the nicest of the 3 and I'm pretty sure it was Gal Godot's (Wonder Woman) issue rifle when she was in the IDF. :P