Israeli FAL questions

Anything and Everything FN/FAL related
jonoaf1980

Israeli FAL questions

Post by jonoaf1980 »

I know this is a temp board and the answers are probably floating around somewhere in the old board so I was hoping someone could help clarify a few things for an FAL newbie. I picked up one of the PSA Israeli parts kits and I'm learning as I go.

1. My Hebrew is admittedly a bit rusty, so could someone tell me which position is auto vs semi on the fire selector? I understand with a semi auto upper you can not actually shoot it in full auto, but I'd like to know just for my own information.

2. I've heard a few folks talk about kits coming with a "Type A' or "Type B" Stock. What does this mean and how can I tell which version I have?

3. Some folks have suggested buying a standard profile barrel from DSA rather than waiting on the Israeli profile to come back in stock. I understand the Israelis used a proprietary gas piston set. If one were to buy a standard profile barrel from DSA does that mean you would have to change your gas set or would it even align properly if you wanted to use the original gas block and piston on the new barrel?

4. 922r compliance aside, any other parts needed to complete the build other than barrel and receiver? So far I'm assuming a locking shoulder as well as I don't think one was included. I've ordered an assembly/disassembly/parts manual that will be here in a few days but a heads up would be great.

Thanks in advance

def90

Re: Israeli FAL questions

Post by def90 »

The Israeli FALs came with semi auto selectors so you can’t put it in to the auto position anyway.

Stock types, too much to type right now from my cell phone and pics do a better job than text description. You most likely have a type C which will have a metal ferrule around the front of it.

You have to change the gas block.

Easy 922r parts are gas piston (need the long version for an Israeli), pistol grip, muzzle device if you decide to use a regular profile barrel, original Israeli FALs did not use a muzzle device so if built without one it actually reduces the number of us made parts by 1, magazines and or magazine parts, buttstock from ironwood designs or made by flypaper.

Embatp

Post by Embatp »

Type C stocks have the metal cap at the front of the stock that butts up against the rear of the trigger housing....the cap was there to help prevent cracking and was the last type used by the Israelis and the most common...

The type B stock is shaped different up front and the wood directly butts up against the trigger housing....this is the second type used by the Israelis....somewhat rarer and prone to cracking...

The type A stock was the first type wood stock used by Israel....looks like a type B except it had 2 wood “wings” at the front of the stock that fit around cuts made into the rear of the first type trigger housing called the type A...rare and prone to cracking...

jonoaf1980

Post by jonoaf1980 »

Thanks guys. I might get back with y'all about the barrel options should DSA take too long. Can't wait to see the real site.

wwiley

Post by wwiley »

So let’s say DSA never comes around with their Israeli profile barrels... what other options do us Izzy kit owners have? Can we use a standard profile metric barrel?

meltblown

Post by meltblown »

wwiley wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:38 am
So let’s say DSA never comes around with their Israeli profile barrels... what other options do us Izzy kit owners have? Can we use a standard profile metric barrel?
Yes, if the receiver is "metric threaded" Probably so if you are using theirs. Then replace all the Izzy stuff with "metric".

pl521

Post by pl521 »

wwiley wrote:
Argy lugged barrel.

def90

Post by def90 »

wwiley wrote:
Use a standard non-bipod cut metric barrel and swap the (if it has one already installed) with the Israeli one in your kit. A standard barrel will likely be threaded so you will need to build it as an Israeli with the combo device bs the usual Israelis with the bare muzzle.

The other option is an early Argentine lugged barrel though they are fairly scarce themselves.

TacticalMallNinja

Post by TacticalMallNinja »

def90 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:47 am
wwiley wrote:
Use a standard non-bipod cut metric barrel and swap the (if it has one already installed) with the Israeli one in your kit. A standard barrel will likely be threaded so you will need to build it as an Israeli with the combo device bs the usual Israelis with the bare muzzle.

The other option is an early Argentine lugged barrel though they are fairly scarce themselves.
This is the route I went, although I went with a barrel that is bipod cut. ARS has a good write up that shows a nifty way to install and remove the gas block, a threaded pipe with a brass fitment on one end and a large hammer.

gunplumber

Post by gunplumber »

TacticalMallNinja wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:33 pm
This is the route I went, although I went with a barrel that is bipod cut. ARS has a good write up that shows a nifty way to install and remove the gas block, a threaded pipe with a brass fitment on one end and a large hammer.
Well, an air hammer. The rapid vibration seems to move interference fit parts much better than just bashing with a hammer.

https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/ ... gas-block/

TacticalMallNinja

gunplumber wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:17 pm
TacticalMallNinja wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:33 pm
Well, an air hammer. The rapid vibration seems to move interference fit parts much better than just bashing with a hammer.

https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/ ... gas-block/
This is the one part of the build that frightens me. I’ve headspaced guns before that’s not an issue, but I really want to use the Israeli gas block on the DSA barrel. I figure it will be nothing if not frustrating.
Last edited by TacticalMallNinja on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wwiley

Post by wwiley »

def90 wrote:
wwiley wrote:

Would an STG58 barrel or one of DSAs standard profile barrels with the Israeli gas block work?

grahamneall

Post by grahamneall »

Spoke with DSA on Friday...they said their Izzy Barrels are currently in production.
No date for release was given.

wwiley

Post by wwiley »

grahamneall wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:40 am
Spoke with DSA on Friday...they said their Izzy Barrels are currently in production.
From what I gather that has been their line for a while now.

Hi Mark

Post by Hi Mark »

grahamneall wrote:
Hope they restock on Forged Israeli receivers soon

TacticalMallNinja

wwiley wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:22 am
def90 wrote:
wwiley wrote:

Would an STG58 barrel or one of DSAs standard profile barrels with the Israeli gas block work?
Everything I’ve read has suggested it will. The gas block journal is the same. A guy on PSAs website who bought a kit bought a SA58 barrel and swapped to the Israeli gas block.

JR

Post by JR »

Hi Mark wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:24 am
grahamneall wrote:
What's the difference between the forged receivers and the regular one?

grahamneall

Post by grahamneall »

JR wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:24 am
Hi Mark wrote:
grahamneall wrote:
About $100 IIRC.
But the majority say Forged is better/stronger....for many, cast will suffice !!

JR

Post by JR »

grahamneall wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:59 am
JR wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:24 am
Hi Mark wrote:

About $100 IIRC.
But the majority say Forged is better/stronger....for many, cast will suffice !!
Thank you for specifying! I just didn’t know if I should buy the regular one now or wait for the forged one

grahamneall

Post by grahamneall »

I found an Izzy cast on GB for $415 shipped.
I ordered a second PSA kit last Friday...I'll go the cast Receiver route again....too old to be able to destroy a Receiver or shoot out a Barrel.
G.