Paratrooper stock questions

Anything and Everything FN/FAL related
Abacab

Paratrooper stock questions

Post by Abacab »

Took apart my paratrooper stock off my Argentinian FAL to replace the missing button latch assembly. After I removed the pin, the axle and spring came out without issue. At first I thought the spring was broken as I found an extra piece but I realized it was not part of the spring but rather some other metal ring. I do not see it on the schematic. Any idea if this is original or added by someone later?

Other questions: is it possible to refinish one of these stocks? I know the gun is painted. I've seen some mentions of a plastic sleeve that goes over the metal "arms" but I can't tell if this one has one. Also no idea how to remove the butt plate or if it's even possible. The spacer is plastic so I'd have to remove that if it were going to repaint the thing but how to remove it?

Imgur link includes pictures of the unknown ring and the stock assembly itself. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

http://imgur.com/gallery/pSa9mec

grahamneall

Re: Paratrooper stock questions

Post by grahamneall »

Strange...maybe the Spring that was in there wasn't long enough since it didn't have the correct Push Button and Axle assembly.
It's certainly not a part in the original assembly design.
Throw it in your parts bin....just in case.

Your Folder doesn't seem to have the plastic cover on the arms......try a magnet on them.
I'll need to pull my Argy Folder for a closer look how to diss-assemble it.....I assume your folder is Argy ??
I'll get back to you.
Graham

gunplumber

Post by gunplumber »

Argentine have a clipped spring section acting as a washer on the down side of the other spring, I don't know what they think it's helping.

yes, you can refinish. But sometimes extracting the stock from the knuckle is very challenging, and you must remove the sleeve if you're going to heat-cure the paint.

Abacab

Post by Abacab »

grahamneall wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am
Strange...maybe the Spring that was in there wasn't long enough since it didn't have the correct Push Button and Axle assembly.
It's certainly not a part in the original assembly design.
Throw it in your parts bin....just in case.

Your Folder doesn't seem to have the plastic cover on the arms......try a magnet on them.
I'll need to pull my Argy Folder for a closer look how to diss-assemble it.....I assume your folder is Argy ??
I'll get back to you.
Graham
Yeah it's my Argentinian gun. If it has a plastic sleeve and I can't tell I don't know what to say about myself ha.

As far as I can tell, there is no indication anyone ever had the arms apart. No evidence the pin was ever driven out that holds it to the hinge.

Abacab

Post by Abacab »

gunplumber wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:44 pm
Argentine have a clipped spring section acting as a washer on the down side of the other spring, I don't know what they think it's helping.

yes, you can refinish. But sometimes extracting the stock from the knuckle is very challenging, and you must remove the sleeve if you're going to heat-cure the paint.
So it is an Argy thing. Good to know thank you. I will return it to its proper place when I get done with this thing.

My guess is that it might have kept the button from flopping around when trying to install the button/axle assembly?

grahamneall

Post by grahamneall »

So it is an Argy thing. Good to know thank you. I will return it to its proper place when I get done with this thing.

My guess is that it might have kept the button from flopping around when trying to install the button/axle assembly?
Proper place....trash or parts bin ?
G.

Abacab

Post by Abacab »

grahamneall wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Proper place....trash or parts bin ?
G.
I guess back where I found it. We gotta be "original" no matter how dumb in my household.

harleyrider

Post by harleyrider »

Abacab wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:41 pm
I guess back where I found it. We gotta be "original" no matter how dumb in my household.
So true for so many of us here! 🙄

Carry on. 👍

HR

Frenchkat

Post by Frenchkat »

I have two Paras, one with the lock, one without. Both old Sarco Humper Specials.

Sent the whole assembly to IIRC, Rooster for refinishing many years ago, even sent a new lock kit. Was informed then that the lock wasn’t necessary.

Really, it’s not necessary, the one without locks up just as tight and I don’t have to mess with the button.

grahamneall

Post by grahamneall »

They basically use the same spring which is what holds the Folder in place.
The Release Button is 'Correct' for FN, Imbel & Argy, which matters to some (like me), like the OP.