Single Action Sixguns Anyone?

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
AK-104

Single Action Sixguns Anyone?

Post by AK-104 »

So, while we are currently in the opening stages of civil war, and everyone is scrambling to ensure that they have all of the fighting rifles/combat pistols they will need to survive, I realized that my years of buying up all of that stuff has left me in a position where I can now use some of that stuff to trade for things that are simply just for fun. And, while I am about as far from being a cowboy as anyone could possibly be, I have always found the old single action six shooters to be beautiful guns.

Well, I happened to find a guy locally who has apparently been playing cowboy, and found himself without a fighting rifle, so, I negotiated to trade him a DelTon M4 type in stock configuration, for a NIB Ruger New Vaquero TALO Edition stainless in .45 ACP. It has a 3.75 inch barrel and birds head grip with black/gray wooden stocks. I figure it will be a fun shooter, and something that can share ammo with the 1911 I carry.

Anybody else here enjoy single action revolvers? If so, what do you have? Any advice for someone new to the type?

MI redneck

Re: Single Action Sixguns Anyone?

Post by MI redneck »

Single action revolvers are a lot of fun.

I have a new model Single Six convertible that's great for plinking and handy for dispatching vermin around the farm. I'll eventually pick up a big bore but am undecided on caliber.

Stoned_Oli

Post by Stoned_Oli »

I have a nice Ruger Blackhawk Convertible that belonged to my FIL. I had great fun with my wife by loading it with 9mm making her swear it was a different gun as he let her shoot it with .357. :lol:

Browning Hi Power

Post by Browning Hi Power »

Check these out:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/sear ... egory/1041

Was looking through Bud’s “other handguns” and found some really nice Italian made single actions. They’re very nicely made according to the reviews. I’m looking to get into single actions as well. Shooting modern guns is kind of boring to me :D Some of the Uberti reproductions look really cool.

Browning Hi Power

Post by Browning Hi Power »

This one is just plain bad ass:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/prod ... 5%22+45+lc

And they’re so outdated, they’re CA legal :mrgreen:

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

First rule of gunfighting: have a gun

PRegner

Post by PRegner »

I have a blast (pun intended) with my replica 1861 Navy Colt every time I take it out. I've got three cylinders for it that I can load ahead of time. It takes me no longer to change a cylinder than it does to unload six empty brass casings and reload six fresh cartridges in a newer-design pistol. Additionally, the state of California doesn't consider black powder pistols and rifle to be firearms, and I can have them shipped straight to my door with no waiting period, background check, or DROS fees.

Mauserdude67

Post by Mauserdude67 »

I have a Taylor & Co. Cattleman .45LC with the 4.75" barrel. It is a great pistol to shoot and to look at. Compared to a Colt SAA, it's a freaking bargain. Get one and you'll be glad you did.

gearlogo

Post by gearlogo »

Only of they can throw a 310 plus cast bullet at 1200 plus.

toys

Post by toys »

I started my collection with Colt SAA 22s. Was able to collect all of the variations and had sold most of them over last 2 years. I did keep a several for my dual Buscadero rig i made. Also have a handfull that have really pretty CC.

As far as the big bro CFs, i have some of those too. I do love my Colt SAA especially the 4.5 inch tube since i feel they have the best "look/balance". I also made my version of "the Duke" rig for my Colt SAA 45.

I got some Rugers too. My LGS was into CASS and his first SAA was a Ruger Vaquero, the 1st/original full size. But he found out that the 45 was too slow to shoot and so he moved down to a 38/357. But i was able to buy is tricked out Vaquero in 45 LC. really smooth and sweet SAA.

I also got a Vaquero like yours but in 357. Its a short barrel and with a birdshead grip. Really nice, but it could/needs to go on a diet. Way too much steel and its one heavy MF. Worse case, run out of ammo and use throw it. Wouldnt want to be hit by it.

I did get a Uberty SAA but i also got a 22LR conversion for it. So for now, thats how its setup.

If you are going cowboy, you need to have a good leveraction too. Sort of go hand in hand.

Glashaus

Post by Glashaus »

Single actions are a lot of fun. I have owned and shot them for a number of years. Currently I have two Uberti Colt SAA’s, old style , both in 45 Colt, one 7 1/2” and the other 4 5/8”. I also have an Uberti Schofield, 5” in .38 Special. I also have an Uberti 1863 Navy.

hank327

Post by hank327 »

I’ve always wanted a 1873 Single Action Army 7 1/2” Cavalry model. I also think the 1860 Colt Army .44 percussion revolver to be the best looking single action revolver ever made.

AK-104

Post by AK-104 »

Sounds like I am in good company with you guys. I figured I would be the only guy on the files who had an interest in these revolvers.

Glashaus

Post by Glashaus »

when I lived on the farm from 1990 to 2000 one of the Ubertie's was often on my hip. I also had a Blackhawk back in the late 80's.

Black Wolf

Post by Black Wolf »

Oh yea! I have shot A LOT of single actions. I used to live on 10 acres (when I was 15), I used a Ruger Single Six with CB's (so I wouldn't need ear pro) to learn to point shoot. Everyday, I'd strap the six gun on and take the dog for a walk, taking random shots and stumps and other stuff.

I love old "3 Screw Rugers" (pre transfer bar), I've been through a small handful of them.

Here is an interesting tidbit that a lot of single action guys seem surprised to hear (hopefully it is true). I heard BOTH Sam Colt and Bill Ruger were left handed. Now think about how you load a single action, now imagine doing it in your left hand. Weird, eh? If you're a lefty, you can reload without giving up your fighting grip. I found that interesting :)

John Crusher

Post by John Crusher »

I have an Uberti Schofield 2nd model in 45LC that I really enjoy shooting.
I've got a holster rig and take it and my 1866 out fairly regular.
I'm headed to the range tomorrow and know what else to take besides a Fal !!
Thanks man , John

chillypepper

Post by chillypepper »

Yep, and yep.

Got my first at 18, always had one or more since. Mostly repops. Have had a couple rugers over the years. One original colt first gen. Most all have gone down the road for reasons that ain't gun related. Still have one ruger , and a couple 1851 navy conversions.

TerryN

Post by TerryN »

I may or may not own several single action revolvers, all Rugers save for a single cap and ball Uberti. Can't wait to return to the States so I can accumulate more. While I really like SA revolvers, I find that they are typically less than ideal as CCW guns. Too heavy and slow to reload, should that be required. Better than a rock, though.
I've a feeling that we're not in Kansas any more, Toto! Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz
Formerly known as FALaholic #55

AK-104

Post by AK-104 »

TerryN wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:20 am
While I really like SA revolvers, I find that they are typically less than ideal as CCW guns. Too heavy and slow to reload, should that be required. Better than a rock, though.
Yeah, I can’t see myself carrying this Vaquero except maybe in the woods. Well, also maybe when I go to the local rodeos. Also, maybe when I do family bbq’s. Awww... who am I kidding? I will carry it sometimes.

MI redneck

Post by MI redneck »

AK-104 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:43 am
TerryN wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:20 am
While I really like SA revolvers, I find that they are typically less than ideal as CCW guns. Too heavy and slow to reload, should that be required. Better than a rock, though.
Yeah, I can’t see myself carrying this Vaquero except maybe in the woods. Well, also maybe when I go to the local rodeos. Also, maybe when I do family bbq’s. Awww... who am I kidding? I will carry it sometimes.
With a sharp hand-tooled holster, it'd make a classy BBQ gun.
8-)

A J

Post by A J »

A Ruger single six is on my wish list some day.

Mr Nobody

Post by Mr Nobody »

My only handgun is a German nickel plated SAA copy in 357

jugrunner

Post by jugrunner »

Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk with Stag .. 44 Mag .. and yes .. it will go out the door with me .. !

Not an ideal ccw but it's good for stopping cars with the Barnes "solids" .. :D

sigking

Post by sigking »

The fastest Cowboy or New York reload, would be a second revolver or 4. lol

After you run through all your load weapons, then you are in shit soap.

That One Guy

Post by That One Guy »

gearlogo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:35 pm
Only of they can throw a 310 plus cast bullet at 1200 plus.
My dad has a Vaquero .45LC I bought for him the year they came out. The cool thing about the old model Vaqueros, and I think some of the Blackhawks, is that you can push ridiculous loads through them pretty safely. There’s load data specifically for the old Rugers on John Linebaugh’s site that pushes .45LC up to .454 velocities. I’ve dabbled with reloading some of them for dad, and we were getting 1600 FPS with 315gr hard cast bullets with zero signs of overpressure. I haven’t had the nerve to try it yet, but I seem to remember some of the loads going up to 1800 FPS.