Sights for urban warfare

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
Specz

Re: Sights for urban warfare

Post by Specz »

Aimpoint, 5 year battery life. Last deployment (7.5 months) I just left it on, had flip up back up iron sights. Have them on my personal weapons as well, minus 1 with an EO Tech (which is pretty good as well).

6000sux

Post by 6000sux »

The ones you got are fine. Go out looking tactical is just asking to get hit by someone camping in a building window or shooting threw a small hole in a building. There bast you then recover you’re valuables at night.
Good luck out there.

conus00

Post by conus00 »

Vortex SPARC AR Red dot. I have astigmatism and this is so far the one closest to being an actual circle. Really bright on the brightest setting and built like a tank. The best part - runs on single AAA battery.
I own one (it currently "resides" on my SLR-106) and I'm thinking about getting another for my M4 (so I can switch between 1-6x scope and a red dot).
I have tried numerous red dots (due to my eyes condition) and this one wins.

Porcupine

Post by Porcupine »

MURKY1911 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:18 am
c0dy33 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:01 pm
Red dot with backup irons. Red dot is mandatory for urban warfare.
Select fire is more mandatory for me than a red dot. Figure if its urban warefare for me, its also SHTF.

SHTF= you better have FA capability...
:lol:

hinkak

Post by hinkak »

I rented a full auto ak last summer.... for the record I'm a pretty big/strong guy at 6'3" 210... 3 round burst. Imagine a skinny girl wearing low cut jeans
as the target...

Lowest part of the naval, top of the belly button, and Right Lung @ 25 yards. That took a bit of practice to master. I do not consider full auto a bene in SHTF unless I'm playing video games w/ unlimited ammo.

frick

Post by frick »

I have multiples, and could recommend them all, an Eotech 512, its on my main AR, shorty with a dedicated can, yeah, old school and bigger, but a big sight picture, and a good reticle.

For my main AK, a PK-AS, big and clunky, but again, a good sight window, red dot has a back up black dot, very easy to adjust unlike most Soviet type optics, its on a 104UR, and I'm using a S-co Hybrid 46 on it, hearing safe, I love it.

I have a Romeo 4, the co witness model, looking for a home, bought it because of the shake awake and battery life.

Hell, I have used TRS-25, that is currently on my PC Carbine, and it works fine, a good starter one, and they are cheap.

I also recommend a 1 to 4 scope, or better a 1 to 8, nice for close and far way.

NOW, one other thing, learn to point and shoot, without using sights at all, I train for pistols, that way, your pistol has to be an extension of your hand, with a rifle, its tougher, but, for out to 25 meters, a quick shot off the cuff may be your only choice if shit happens fast.

frick

Post by frick »

SOT here, even an M16 is too much for close up defense, too much rise, I prefer my binary trigger, and you just learn that one normal shot is two.

I just converted a PPS43C into a SBR and converted a FA bolt to drop into the upper, and used a FA surplus lower, pistol caliber, right, going to be shootable easily, NOPE, definitely not my choice for fast up close work, not easy to get 2 shot bursts, and it rises pretty quick, more than I thought it would.

No way in hell would I ever recommend anything in rifle caliber that's 30 cal or larger, with the exception of maybe an M2 carbine, which, is my next build, I'm doing a conversion kit on a commercial carbine, registered trip lever.

Point is, not even putting a red dot on a FA is going to help a damned bit.

hinkak wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:23 am
I rented a full auto ak last summer.... for the record I'm a pretty big/strong guy at 6'3" 210... 3 round burst. Imagine a skinny girl wearing low cut jeans
as the target...

Lowest part of the naval, top of the belly button, and Right Lung @ 25 yards. That took a bit of practice to master. I do not consider full auto a bene in SHTF unless I'm playing video games w/ unlimited ammo.

MURKY1911

Post by MURKY1911 »

hinkak wrote:
as the target...

Ak74. Try it. Totally agree, 7.62 in FA is tough to control. 5.45 is like it was made for it... the Russians were smart.

hank327

Post by hank327 »

I’ve got an Aimpoint Pro on an RS Regulate mount on my primary SLR104-FR. I’ve left the sight on the #5 setting for almost 3 years (it will be 3 years exactly a week from tomorrow). It’s still going strong and I’ve got a spare battery. I have another Aimpoint Pro on my AR15A4 that’s my go to 5.56 rifle. I don’t have the sight on as it’s a backup and I’ve got a spare battery in the buttstock compartment. So I figure I’ve got about 6 years of sight life there.

I waited for sales specials to get the Aimpoint because I know they are proven durable. On my SGL21 I’ve got Robskis Goat Fucker Annihilator Package. It’s the Primary Arms 3X Prism sight with the 7.62x39 ACSS reticle in a RS Regulate mount. I seems to be a very durable sight and works well in daylight without illuminating the reticle. The reticle really is visible when lit up. I don’t know how long a battery will last but I have two spares.

The Aimpoints really help getting on target much quicker and more accurately than using irons. The 3X ACSS Primary Arms is almost as fast as a RDS up close and really helps get hits easier farther out using the built in bullet drop reticle.

VALMET_M76

Post by VALMET_M76 »

I use Trijicons on pistols. Aimpoints on ARs and Eotechs on AKs.

They all beat iron sights big time.

hank327

Post by hank327 »

Full auto is best for beltfed tripod or bipod mounted crew served machine guns. I was not impressed firing an AKM on full auto or the M16. It’s just a good way to make noise And waste ammo.

Micropeenus

Post by Micropeenus »

No combat experience except 5 tours in Call of Duty.

If you’re eyes work, the AK iron sights are perfect. No red dots needed. It even lets you adjust from 100 to 1000 yards on the fly!

fn ellis

Post by fn ellis »

I currently use an Meprolite M21 with a illuminator. This is a good video about the sight. The Israeli IDF has used it for years.

https://youtu.be/MGQtjQ-wxms

Deerhurst

Post by Deerhurst »

Anyone else run a Vortex UH-1? I have Romeo 5s, Eotechs of a few flavors, tried a few other optics but for some reason I really like the UH-1. I haven't put it through it's paces yet. It's on a 7.62x39 AR and seems to do great. My groups still suck doing the Hateful 8. I'm not as impressed by the UH-1 Gen 2 that just was released. I hope to make use of that charging port next time I need juice.

EOTech or UH-1 was just too much weight on top of an AK. Too difficult to get to the charging handle with the reach over method too. Ran a saiga with an EOTech 512 for years. Stopped on a Romeo 5, sighted it in at 300 yards and dam that thing is easy to maneuver!
|5.56x45|5.45x39|7.62x39|9x19|7.62x25| and others I've forgotten..

69Rebel

Post by 69Rebel »

MURKY1911 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:34 am
hinkak wrote:
as the target...

Ak74. Try it. Totally agree, 7.62 in FA is tough to control. 5.45 is like it was made for it... the Russians were smart.
For close up and personal work, a subgun is hard to beat.

A J

Post by A J »

D
Last edited by A J on Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:54 am, edited 5 times in total.

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Back when I was in ‘Nam, I just hip fired my
m-60. As we all know, Charlie is usually around 3.5 feet tall, so shouldering the weapon would require me to aim downward.
Firing from the hip, the bullet travelled in a straight line and would take out 3-4 little vietcong at a time. This was particularly helpful when I would raid the villages in a manner of Ghengis Khan, and mow down all the women and children. Firing from the hip requires no sites, iron or otherwise. It also allowed me to shoot the tiny little ho chi min fuckers in the chest, leaving their ears perfectly intact for me to harvest later.
I had the coolest conch shell and ear necklaces around. Made a pretty penny selling them to some of the guys on base to mail home as souvenirs. Was doing pretty well financially, especially once I started raising the villages that were producing heroin and shipping it back stateside to all the disgusting hippies.
Ahhhh, memories.
I miss my 20 inch spinners

MACV

Post by MACV »

Oooookay, thanks for sharing Francis

BoatGuyFL

Post by BoatGuyFL »

After trying a red dot on my 14.5 'go to' AR, I'm shopping LPVOs. Kicking down doors and doing 'tactical operator room clearing' isnt exactly my thought process for 'urban warfare'.... more like stealth, grey man, dont shoot unless your hidden and have a way to egress fast and some distance.

That coupled with my eye sight (biggest factor)..... a 1x6 or 1x8 is my future.

Not totally dissing red dots. Have one on my 10.5, and it's a tack driver, to 175 yds or so, then, my eyes 'get in the way' so to speak.

So, a 1x6 or 1x8 FFP is in my future. Dial it down, can function as a 'red dot'. Need to look at something a ways off, increase the magnification, lol.

Snipechief

Post by Snipechief »

Irons on the AK Pistol, red dot on the AR 15
Carbine.

W_E_G

Post by W_E_G »

1-4x scope with illuminated dot and QD MOUNT

White light with laser

Backup (plastic) irons

EASY

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

Rule #1: Stay away from urban areas.

Rule #2: Keep your EDC handy and an iron sight AR within easy reach if you must break rule #1.

Rule #3: To ensure 100% success, refer back to rule #1.

hinkak

Post by hinkak »

I like LVPO's and not one's like the strike eagle etc... too heavy and prone to failure. I have 2 Leupold's, a vx-r and I just picked up a Patrol for a decent price considering today's climate... both 1.25x4 and fairly lightweight. Easy hits on a silhouette sized target @300 yards and almost as fast as a red dot @25. K.I.S.S. and a durable design/manufacturer.

If I didn't have an astigmatism then the red dots etc that the military uses would be a good alternative.

jugrunner

Post by jugrunner »

Your eyes will work wonders if you actually practice ..

MeatAxe556

Post by MeatAxe556 »

MURKY1911 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:34 am
hinkak wrote:
as the target...

I agree that 5.45 (or 5.56 in my experience) is much easier to control than 7.62x39 on full auto...unfortunately, I have no FA (most people don’t) so 7.62x39 will do - more punch and barrier penetration, per round.
Last edited by MeatAxe556 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.