Sights for urban warfare

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
MACV

Sights for urban warfare

Post by MACV »

EoTech, Trijicon, red dot, I know there are people on this board with real life experience in urban combat. Sound off. Back in my day we just had iron sights, and they worked good enough.
I don't trust electronic sights due to battery life or damage. But I see an advantage to fast target acquisition. I'm thinking EoTech with back up hard sights that you can flip up.

cotter

Re: Sights for urban warfare

Post by cotter »

No real world experience but I factor battery type into sight selection. I eant easy to acquire batteries, AA AAA. Just my $.02.

AKyle

Post by AKyle »

If you wanna take batteries out of the equation then get something with tritium lamps but even modern battery powered optics are usually so efficient that you just keep 1 spare on you and your batteries will probably last 5 years anyway.

cwikjr

Post by cwikjr »

Trijicon Reflex sights are good...I have a bunch of the RX06 amber triangle setup's on different AR's... I picked up a RX01 with a 4 moa amber dot and have it on a Colt 11.5 inch pistol build that I need to get it to the range and zero... They still work well in low light and daylight once the tritium dies also...

chillypepper

Post by chillypepper »

I still prefer irons for close work.

AK-104

Post by AK-104 »

Iron sights on the pistol, red dot on the carbine, magnified optic on the bolt guns. The agencies I worked for over the years issued us Eotech and Aimpoint optics for our carbines. I greatly preferred the Aimpoint for its constant on/long lasting battery feature, and the simplicity of its design.

As such, I use Aimpoint optics on my own carbines with one exception. I have a 10.5 inch braced AR pistol that I use a SIG Sauer Romeo 7 on. So far, I like the optic a lot. It is very quick to use, cost effective, has a battery life that is advertised as being calculated in years, can be left on like the Aimpoint, and outwardly looks similar to the Aimpoint. It even runs on a single AA battery. I have had mine for a few months now, always left powered on, and have lugged the gun and optic around all over with no issues to report.

AKMStoy

Post by AKMStoy »

The one you practice with the most :)
Irons are a pain at night. If you go reflex go big, not some good for pistol reflex that's small.
Cry havoc let slip the dogs of war

Hebrew Battle Rifles

Post by Hebrew Battle Rifles »

TFL
There are no such things as enough time, money, or ammo.

ohlongarm

Post by ohlongarm »

MACV wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:02 am
EoTech, Trijicon, red dot, I know there are people on this board with real life experience in urban combat. Sound off. Back in my day we just had iron sights, and they worked good enough.
I don't trust electronic sights due to battery life or damage. But I see an advantage to fast target acquisition. I'm thinking EoTech with back up hard sights that you can flip up.
My cruiser ready M-16 Aimpoint point and shoot ,and hit target at 200 yards.We have full auto Colt carbines,and semis,depends on what you want it's a 50 ,50, split.

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’ve got a vortex strike Eagle 1-8x on my AR. 18 inch barrel.
If you’re super up close, point and shoot.
Semi close, red dot.
Reach out and touch... zoom.

My AK’s are just iron sights. I may attach a red dot at some point. Not sure what kind of mount I want to use, because I don’t want it to interfere with the underfolder.
I miss my 20 inch spinners

GunRunner47

Post by GunRunner47 »

I have a weird issue with my eyes where my right eye catches the front sight and the left eye catches the rear. Once I blink, my eyes refocus and work fine. Due to this, I run eotech because of the larger window. I can bring my carbine up without having to do any weird eye twitch to find focus. I have the older 512 that uses AA batteries which are normally a lot easier to find. I run back up irons just in case though.
si vis pacem para bellum

Claymore

Post by Claymore »

I use Sig Romeos, Impressed

89grand1

Post by 89grand1 »

Claymore wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:34 pm
I have 4 Romeo 5's and 1 Holoson version that is identical to the Romeo 5 (Holoson makes the Sigs), all have been great. I love the shake awake feature. I do like the mounts better on the Sigs. I do prefer the co-witness height of the Sig over a lower third that the Holoson had.

v guy

Post by v guy »

Hunting down a home invading person in your house, the tactical advantage is yours.
This is not Sadr City, or Benghazi.

I am not going into the bush outside after dark, without night vision capability. Knives, and bow and arrows will be deployed against you by the treacherous ones.

Practice with everything.

Beware of the man with only one gun, he may know how to use it.
Go to the zoo and pay close attention to certain species, like the lion. Be the lion, not the monkee.

hinkak

Post by hinkak »

You guys are funny... as this is just another what optic should I put on my AR/AK

I have an ultimak on my ak w/ a holosun 503gu... I just picked up a second one and may put it on an AR... Good for 100 yards 5" or so groups, man size to 300.

I have a PA Cylops as well, similar to above... much faster 50' and in.. i have a stigmatism so I don't use regular Red dots..

I prefer lvpo's and have a leupold vx-r 1-4... there are better scopes out there and now 1-10 is a thing... slightly slower at inside-the-house distances but my preference from 20-300+ yards...

If you're worried about battery or sight failure then get a quick disconnect and a set of irons... some guys are even using a red dot @45 degree offset... its only money ;-)

I briefly toyed w/ the idea of getting into 3 gun and talked to a couple guys.. vortex strike eagles were regarded as range toys and had the highest incidences of failure in competitions... I like Vortex but would start w/ the pst line.

c0dy33

Post by c0dy33 »

Red dot with backup irons. Red dot is mandatory for urban warfare.

Porcupine

Post by Porcupine »

AK-104 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:28 am
Iron sights on the pistol, red dot on the carbine, magnified optic on the bolt guns. The agencies I worked for over the years issued us Eotech and Aimpoint optics for our carbines. I greatly preferred the Aimpoint for its constant on/long lasting battery feature, and the simplicity of its design.

As such, I use Aimpoint optics on my own carbines with one exception. I have a 10.5 inch braced AR pistol that I use a SIG Sauer Romeo 7 on. So far, I like the optic a lot. It is very quick to use, cost effective, has a battery life that is advertised as being calculated in years, can be left on like the Aimpoint, and outwardly looks similar to the Aimpoint. It even runs on a single AA battery. I have had mine for a few months now, always left powered on, and have lugged the gun and optic around all over with no issues to report.
I picked up a used Romeo 7 in a trade about a year ago. I’ve no idea how old it is, but it was clearly well used when I got it.

So far I’m impressed. It’s currently riding atop a Scorpion that lives in a location that provides a less than ideal environment, and Is used frequently.;)

I’ve got to fess up though I do like my old school clunky EOTech 512. Perhaps it’s nostalgia?

RKHarm24

Post by RKHarm24 »

2 pistols, G45 and M&P9 have RMR07 mounted. All 3 AR's have a RDS. 3 AK's are iron sights.

Old eyes benefit from the RDS and MRDS

Midwestak44

Post by Midwestak44 »

RDS

ninjamateo

Post by ninjamateo »

PK-A Venezuela for my AK.

chillypepper

Post by chillypepper »

I picked up a SeeAll sight on sale a few months back. Put it on a mkII, it's kinda cool after the getting used to it stage. Not the sight for everybody, but still a quick sight to have, once you get used to it.

SYNCHRONICITY

Post by SYNCHRONICITY »

Kobra on the SLR. Irons on the MAK. Fibers on the pistols that can carry them. Lazer on the PCC.

MURKY1911

Post by MURKY1911 »

c0dy33 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:01 pm
Red dot with backup irons. Red dot is mandatory for urban warfare.
Select fire is more mandatory for me than a red dot. Figure if its urban warefare for me, its also SHTF.

SHTF= you better have FA capability...

Claymore

Post by Claymore »

89grand1 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:49 pm
Claymore wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:34 pm
I have 4 Romeo 5's and 1 Holoson version that is identical to the Romeo 5 (Holoson makes the Sigs), all have been great. I love the shake awake feature. I do like the mounts better on the Sigs. I do prefer the co-witness height of the Sig over a lower third that the Holoson had.
Yep, likewise, that shake awake is a great feature.

WatDaFuq

Post by WatDaFuq »

Who uses sights.
SNAP shooting.

100yds or less?
See target...point..pull trigger...put holes in target.
Reload.

Make damn sure your weapon is properly and perfectly zero'd.

Over a 100yd? 1-XX scope or 2-XX scope. Sure red dots work.
But I am old and crotchety and half blind. Needs MOH optic!