home audio Cerwin Vega xls15

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
INDY K

home audio Cerwin Vega xls15

Post by INDY K »

Was looking to get some home audio to find out that large 3 way floor speakers have gone to 2 way towers with separate subs or components. I’m not too savy with home audio and have been looking diligently for some goodies. It displeased me to find Cerwin Vega’s ownership and development has been all over the place for the past few years, sold to Gibson, back to Cerwin Vega US and components are now made in CHi na. The set I was looking was a pair of XLS 15’s.

http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/fl ... ls-15.html

I really like 3 way floor box speakers and am not interested in a full wall of Klipsh 8 inch component surround sound with a 15,000 audio bill. Any ideas? Looking to spend around 1400.00 or so on the boxes and will certainly need an decent affordable amp and receiver.
I think there was an audio guy who was with us here at the Files anyone remember his username?
I really could use some audio counseling hehehe

Please
We don’t need a thread about product bashing just some recommendations on some gear for a well rounded, powerful audio system, not looking for home theater builds and weak bookshelf wonders.
Last edited by INDY K on Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meltblown

Re: home audio Cerwin Vega xls15

Post by meltblown »

Those don't look too bad. I'm running a set of 30+ yro Mirantz 3 way.

INDY K

Post by INDY K »

I been successfully rocking a set of 1984, 86? Klipsh KG-4’s for the past 4 years and they are deteriorating, I repaired the babies a few items but it’s time for new gear.
Last edited by INDY K on Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meltblown

Post by meltblown »

Yep, that's whats amazing about the Marantz. They have not deteriorated. Bought them 2nd hand 12 years ago to replace a set of Infinity that I had gotten in the late 80s that the foam has finally broken down. 3 way towers are getting hard to come by.

Mebsuta

Post by Mebsuta »

I finally figured out with old speakers from the 70s and 80s: get four of them and connect them in parallel and they will hit pretty hard.

I have put foam surrounds on old Advent speakers 3-4 times. I imagine they're all about the same and it's not hard to do.

Dos Ak's

Post by Dos Ak's »

INDY K wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:42 pm
I really like 3 way floor box speakers and am not interested in a full wall of Klipsh 8 inch component surround sound with a 15,000 audio bill. Any ideas? Looking to spend around 1400.00 or so on the boxes and will certainly need an decent affordable amp and receiver."

Interesting,
The CV's you linked to the frequency response only goes down to 38hz. For the same or even less money you can buy Reference Premier Klipsch Floorstanding Speakers that have a low end of around 32hz, no need for a "wall of Klipsch" or spending 15K. With either of them you would still need a good subwoofer to maximize your system.
Last edited by Dos Ak's on Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

69Rebel

Post by 69Rebel »

Re-foaming woofers is pretty easy. There are kits for just about everything on the 'bay.

O/P:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... a-speakers

davedude

Post by davedude »

Those Cerwin Vega's in your link are very nice speakers. Like you, I am kinda old school. Moving massive volumes of air is what it is all about for me and arrays of tiny speaker cones do not get it done. A pair of 15's is bucket list for me. Drive those with wide dynamic range signal thru an amp that has at least 3db headroom or better yet 6db and the hit will spin you around. Carver M1.5T amps come to mind. Yeah I know that dates me.
I have a pair of old Cerwin Vega R-24 cabinets I acquired back in the 70's. Cabinets have been refinished and drivers all changed out, mine are three way. Sound great. Run some Bose 601 cabinets for the back pair, same thing with them, all drivers changed out. Not super hifi but startling driven with a mid-range Denon amp. I added a powered sub too, why not right?
In my opinion those boxes in your link should be pretty damn good powered with the right amp but you will need an amp with balls.

thumper

Post by thumper »

I run stacked Advents. Maybe the best two-way for the money.
Inexpensive, not the most efficient, but my, oh my, what a slam.
Tinkerbell highs, buttery smooth bass, screamin' drivin' midrange.

69Rebel

Post by 69Rebel »

davedude wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:37 am
Those Cerwin Vega's in your link are very nice speakers. Like you, I am kinda old school. Moving massive volumes of air is what it is all about for me and arrays of tiny speaker cones do not get it done. A pair of 15's is bucket list for me. Drive those with wide dynamic range signal thru an amp that has at least 3db headroom or better yet 6db and the hit will spin you around. Carver M1.5T amps come to mind. Yeah I know that dates me.
I have a pair of old Cerwin Vega R-24 cabinets I acquired back in the 70's. Cabinets have been refinished and drivers all changed out, mine are three way. Sound great. Run some Bose 601 cabinets for the back pair, same thing with them, all drivers changed out. Not super hifi but startling driven with a mid-range Denon amp. I added a powered sub too, why not right?
In my opinion those boxes in your link should be pretty damn good powered with the right amp but you will need an amp with balls.
As an electronics tech (part time these days), I'm generally not a big fan of Carver products.
Find a quality, heavy, class AB power amplifier with a big, stout, heavy (that word again) linear power supply. IMO, class AB amps with switching power supplies, and class D amps just don't sound as good. Though they do deliver a lot of power for their weight and cost. They are suitable as subwoofer amplifiers.
For when I really need to make my pants legs flap, rattle my fillings, and peel paint from the walls, I have nice pair of JBL L300s (4333) driven with a Sansui BA5000 power amp. The older QSC USA series are excellent, good sounding, reliable amplifiers that are also repairable.

MACV

Post by MACV »

I've had decent stereos for about 50 years now. Bought my first one at a PX for a great price. I've had Acoustic Research, Pioneer, JBL, Kenwood, Infinity, and now Klipsch speakers. Pioneer and Yamaha amps. The Klipsch I have now aren't the best sounding speakers I've had but sound pretty good. I think the price on the new Klipsch was about $1000 for the pair.
If I had to rank them it would be Accoustic Research, JBL, then Klipsch last. My hearing isn't as good as it used to be so it would be a waste for me to spend $3-4k + for a set of speakers.
Last edited by MACV on Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

def90

Post by def90 »

Cerwin Vega, wow..

I install Home Theaters for a living, a ton of options out there for 3way towers, B&W, Revel, CAT, and a number of others. But if you don’t have thousands to spend here is a not well known company that I would highly recommend if on a budget.

https://www.nhthifi.com/products/16544- ... ries#specs

Mebsuta

Post by Mebsuta »

I wonder if this one will make suitable racket. It doesn't cost very much; about $250 each with free shipping on ebay.

https://bicamerica.com/product/rtr-ev15 ... g-speaker/

This one is even less.

https://bicamerica.com/product/rtr-1530 ... g-speaker/
Last edited by Mebsuta on Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

needafal.

Post by needafal. »

I used to have a pair of Klipsch KG 5.5 for about 28 years. Then I got some B&Ws. Didn't care for them too much. Finally got permission to upgrade. There is no replacement for displacement.

INDY K

Post by INDY K »

Wow those are flippn beautiful!! ^^^

Lsmurphy

Post by Lsmurphy »

The sub towers are hidden behind the towers in the front.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UxPkKfZ6ms

Akinnepa

Post by Akinnepa »

Certain Vega went to crap in the late 90's as far as car audio goes.

Early 2000s I had a home audio component set with Polk Audio towers and subs, I was happy with it for a little while but technology advanced pretty fast and it was outdated in short time

INDY K

Post by INDY K »

What? went to crap?
Aww common man

Vega series
Strokers

those were good stuff!
With mb quart
Alpine
and CV’s delivering the lows with the Xtant ya couldnt go wrong!

Back to the program
What would yas suggest for an amp to push the Vegas?
Something along the 500-700$ mark is that possible?

esh21167

Post by esh21167 »

def90 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:06 am
Cerwin Vega, wow..

I install Home Theaters for a living, a ton of options out there for 3way towers, B&W, Revel, CAT, and a number of others. But if you don’t have thousands to spend here is a not well known company that I would highly recommend if on a budget.

I have 9 Super Ones paired with a pair of Adire Audio sealed Shiva subs. Pretty good HT set up.

Best way to extend bass: Punch a hole in the box
Best way to get distorted crappy bass: Punch a hole in the box

There is no substitute for a sealed enclosure. You just need a big one for low frequency to be clear instead of a muddied garbled rumble. IIRC, NHT always made sealed speakers, not ported ones. Much better accuracy.

def90

Post by def90 »

esh21167 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:13 pm
def90 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:06 am
Cerwin Vega, wow..

I have 9 Super Ones paired with a pair of Adire Audio sealed Shiva subs. Pretty good HT set up.

Best way to extend bass: Punch a hole in the box
Best way to get distorted crappy bass: Punch a hole in the box

There is no substitute for a sealed enclosure. You just need a big one for low frequency to be clear instead of a muddied garbled rumble. IIRC, NHT always made sealed speakers, not ported ones. Much better accuracy.
NHT speakers are used all the time in recording studios to check mixes on recordings because they have a nice flat/natural response. I have the old angled front 1.5s, people always comment on how clean they sound.

89grand1

Post by 89grand1 »

I haven't heard the more recent Cerwin Vega's, but I had a pair of VS120's I bought new in the earlier 90's, and had a pair of RE10's. Those got loud for sure, but really didn't sound all that great. I've had a lot of speakers over the years, but my favorite ones, and I still own are the JBL Studio 530 bookshelf speakers and the JBL Studio 590 big floor standers.

The also owned some DCM Time Windows and Time Window 3's, those are very good as well.

INDY K

xls15 vs RP8000 Klipsh

Post by INDY K »

I’m currently looking at Klipsh RP8000’s or a slightly cheaper RP and assume I’m going to have to eventually grab 2 subs for the DEEP lows. I joined a CV forum and there is a few folks quoting that the overall, quality sound just isn’t there with the XLS15 Vegas for almost 6O0each I want darn near perfect reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-8000F ... QC8FF&th=1

Dos Ak's

Post by Dos Ak's »

If you are interested in Klipsch, and if you have a Facebook account be sure to check out the "Klipsch Owners" forum. The guy who runs it, Cory, is an authorized Klipsch dealer. He doesn't post prices online. He has a warehouse where he stores product and pretty well sells everything online. He deals with you one on one. His prices are excellent. Shoot him a message on FB or call and he will get back to you with the delivered price. He carries receivers and amps too as well as SVS subs and some other high end stuff. Great guy to deal with. The only way I buy nowadays. https://www.facebook.com/groups/KlipschOwners/

69Rebel

Re: xls15 vs RP8000 Klipsh

Post by 69Rebel »

INDY K wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:31 pm
I’m currently looking at Klipsh RP8000’s or a slightly cheaper RP and assume I’m going to have to eventually grab 2 subs for the DEEP lows. I joined a CV forum and there is a few folks quoting that the overall, quality sound just isn’t there with the XLS15 Vegas for almost 6O0each I want darn near perfect reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-8000F ... QC8FF&th=1
Someone in here mentioned JBL Studio 590. Though I haven't experienced a pair, they are almost universally praised, and meet your price point (they go on sale for about $1K/pr shipped a couple of times a year). They aren't as brute force as the C-Vs, but are very well liked.
If you need loud, you can always high pass them at 60-80 Hz and add a couple of subs. That would gain you quite a bit of dynamic range.
In fact, they are on sale right now.
https://www.jbl.com/STUDIO+590BK.html?

89grand1

Post by 89grand1 »

It was me that mentioned the JBL Studio 590's. I bought mine a few years back, and I also got them on sale at $500 ea. They are fantastic speakers. They have two 8" woofers, and the horn loaded compression driver is awesome. They don't sound like a typical horn speaker. They can take a lot of power, but they don't need a lot to get loud. Just as an experiment, I drove them with a 7wpc SMSL amp to pretty high levels. I've used them with a 200wpc B&K amp and a 150wpc AudioSource Amp Three.

They are very big though, so make sure you have the room.